Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    New ROGer Array theoldfarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    @gksk808
    I flashed to BIOS v311 and have the exact same problem with those 2 USB 3.2 ports. Like you, the other ports detect both my wife's phone and mine.
    I contacted Asus Support through the phone and was advised to do a reinstall of Windows. I did so but the problem still remains.

    As I am also having a problem, since new, in that the laptop will freeze and I have to Hard Power Off. Could not find out what was causing it.
    When I was in the BIOS looking at what setting were in there, the laptop froze.

    As that indicates it is hardware related and not Software & Drivers for the Software, I phoned Support again, told them of that freeze and the laptop has gone to a service center to be looked at. Apart from the freezes, & USB problem, the Caps Lock would not work as it should. Only once did I get it to sound the Beep/Boop sound after enabling Toggle Keys. It did not give the normal robust sound it should.

    I will point the repair shop technician to this thread. Now that I am not the only one with the USB problem, it points to a cause outside of anything I do/ have done.

  2. #12
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    They are trying to ignore us!

    Why are we allowing this thrash to happen? Let's go to some reviewers and tell them about this great (trash) brand that ASUS is. You paid money for this! Don't accept it! The customer is always right! They think that 100 degrees CPU is OK? In what universe? Let's make them pay for their trash design. Get your money back and trash them in the press/on reddit/everywhere you can! If we don't stand up then we have no chance and next year a new generation of kids will buy this trash and get burnt. Let's do this for the good of us all! Everywhere you go post "ASUS is trash! They are cheats and thieves". That will teach them!

  3. #13
    New ROGer Array theoldfarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    The fact that the laptop froze while I was viewing BIOS settings, helped the repair Technician decide to replace the Motherboard, he said. He also flashed it to v309. My phones work again on those two problem USB ports. It is too early to say if the freezing has been fixed. The touchpad is more responsive but I will need more time to come to a definite conclusion. The Caps Lock /Num Lock buttons now make a sound. I will make a note in my diary to revisit this thread in three months' time, to update my observations on the freezing issue.

  4. #14
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by theoldfarter View Post
    @gksk808
    I flashed to BIOS v311 and have the exact same problem with those 2 USB 3.2 ports. Like you, the other ports detect both my wife's phone and mine.
    I contacted Asus Support through the phone and was advised to do a reinstall of Windows. I did so but the problem still remains.

    As I am also having a problem, since new, in that the laptop will freeze and I have to Hard Power Off. Could not find out what was causing it.
    When I was in the BIOS looking at what setting were in there, the laptop froze.

    As that indicates it is hardware related and not Software & Drivers for the Software, I phoned Support again, told them of that freeze and the laptop has gone to a service center to be looked at. Apart from the freezes, & USB problem, the Caps Lock would not work as it should. Only once did I get it to sound the Beep/Boop sound after enabling Toggle Keys. It did not give the normal robust sound it should.

    I will point the repair shop technician to this thread. Now that I am not the only one with the USB problem, it points to a cause outside of anything I do/ have done.
    Quick note on the freezing issue: For me, and others as well, it's related to Win10 ver. 2004 and MS Edge. I'm running Win10 ver. 1909 and freezing is completely gone.

    Asus's standard suggestion, after a modicum of troubleshooting, is to reinstall Windows/drivers/etc. There are clearly issues with some of their drives. That said, I resolved a lot of my issues, particularly the freezing, by doing a clean install of Win10 ver. 1909. Ver. 2004 has too many issues, some of which (the freezing being one) is related to 2004/Edge. Most of my really troublesome issues are resolved (CPU overheating to 111C., 10sec freezes every 40sec, the like). And i discovered that this machine doesn't like AMDs driver package for the Ryzen 4800H--so i have to stick with the Asus drivers.

    I'm still having BSODs related to gaming that appear to be driver related. I'm collecting data on that and will eventually have a conversation with Asus. Been thinking about disabling the AMD Ryzen video subsystem altogether. I suspect it's part of the problem. We'll see...

  5. #15
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotshot5000 View Post
    Why are we allowing this thrash to happen? Let's go to some reviewers and tell them about this great (trash) brand that ASUS is. You paid money for this! Don't accept it! The customer is always right! They think that 100 degrees CPU is OK? In what universe? Let's make them pay for their trash design. Get your money back and trash them in the press/on reddit/everywhere you can! If we don't stand up then we have no chance and next year a new generation of kids will buy this trash and get burnt. Let's do this for the good of us all! Everywhere you go post "ASUS is trash! They are cheats and thieves". That will teach them!
    For all the issues and trouble I've had with this (A17) laptop, I can't agree that Asus is a "trash brand." I've been building custom, high-end rigs professionally for decades and my go-to manufacture for mobos and other parts--and yes, laptops too--is Asus, especially for gaming machines. Does Asus sometimes mess up? Sure, who doesn't. Did Asus make some poor design decisions on the TUF A15 & A17 laptops? Absolutely! I would have been happy to pay another $100 - $200 for a better cooling solution and better quality screen. That said, I'm still enjoying this laptop, though it's been a lot of work to get there.

    I usually wait for an updated version of new gear (vid cards, mobos, full systems/laptops), where some of the bugs have been worked out. Guess i'm a beta-tester for this laptop...sigh. Anyway, I hear your frustration and feel much of it myself. I definitely want Asus to HEAR us...

  6. #16
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by theoldfarter View Post
    The fact that the laptop froze while I was viewing BIOS settings, helped the repair Technician decide to replace the Motherboard, he said. He also flashed it to v309. My phones work again on those two problem USB ports. It is too early to say if the freezing has been fixed. The touchpad is more responsive but I will need more time to come to a definite conclusion. The Caps Lock /Num Lock buttons now make a sound. I will make a note in my diary to revisit this thread in three months' time, to update my observations on the freezing issue.
    Hey, glad you got it fixed. Yeah, freezing while in the BIOS is a big tip-off. No drivers, OS, etc. running; so it points to a CMOS/BIOS/hardware issue(s). Hope you didn't have to wait too long.

    I have a high end gaming desktop system I built with an Asus mobo. One of the case's side panels is open mesh and, for some reason, my cat decided that the computer needed to be pissed in. Fried my motherboard. Nothing else, thankfully. Asus repaired it and sent it back all within 2 weeks. Pretty good service, if you ask me...

  7. #17
    New ROGer Array theoldfarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Angstromm View Post
    Hey, glad you got it fixed. Yeah, freezing while in the BIOS is a big tip-off. No drivers, OS, etc. running; so it points to a CMOS/BIOS/hardware issue(s). Hope you didn't have to wait too long.

    I have a high-end gaming desktop system I built with an Asus mobo. One of the case's side panels is open mesh and, for some reason, my cat decided that the computer needed to be pissed in. Fried my motherboard. Nothing else, thankfully. Asus repaired it and sent it back all within 2 weeks. Pretty good service, if you ask me...
    Took 8 working days.

    Your comment about your cat brought back a memory from about 5 years ago.

    A Granddaughter was staying for the school holidays and was playing my PS3 in her bedroom. She came to me saying that the game Disc won't play and she has it in her hand. The Disc was wet, took a sniff and recognised urine smell (glad I never did the lick test first). Long story shortened, the PS3 was on the floor and our rescue female Chihuahua had obviously pissed on it (territory marking perhaps). I pulled the PS3 apart, without turning it in any other direction so the urine would stay still & found that the Motherboard was mounted proud of the bottom of the case. Mop out & then wiped down with a vinegar/water mixture, to get rid of the urine smell.

    As I have both a PS4 Pro & an Xbox One X nowadays, the PS3 hardly gets used but still goes faultlessly.

    Thanks for bringing a smile into my day.

  8. #18
    New ROGer Array theoldfarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    The laptop froze again. I was just reading an Internet page. Investigating. I have screenshots of the logs in the Event viewer which I will email to the Technician who replaced the motherboard as he did say, in an email to me, to do so if I have any problems with the repair. Will report progress as it comes to hand.

  9. #19
    New ROGer Array theoldfarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    The technician that had replaced the Motherboard said the logs only showed that an unexpected shut-down happened but not what caused it. He suggested I do a "clean install" of Windows, using the Media Creation Tool, and choose to format the whole drive and allow windows to created its partitions. That is to avoid any bad code in the original install by Asus. I did so and installed all the drivers from the Asus website then ran Windows update. I did not load on any programs, using my old laptop for those.

    For two days, I have just been browsing the Internet: Facebook, participating in the forums I am a member of, and reading my Gmail.
    I am on the Internet for approx 12 hours a day, intermittently. All went well until a few hours ago.

    I had been on the Internet for a few hours when the laptop froze, requiring a hard power off.
    I had opened an email, in my Gmail, from Playstation and clicked on a link within the email, which took me to a particular video on Youtube. Normally, you would see the rectangular video box showing the start of the video playing. Not this time, instead of the video playing, the box was black. The audio had started playing straight away and it continued for a couple of seconds before stopping. That is when I discovered the laptop had frozen.

    After a restart, I went into the Gmail email and clicked on the link again and it plays normally. I sent the email to my ISP mail and played it through that. Still plays OK. I have tried that link six times over the past hour and it plays fine. Talk about an intermittent freeze!

    Got back to the technician, who said to update to BIOS v311. He said that may fix the freezing. I did the update.
    I am now back to the 2x USB 3 ports not seeing my phone but see quite a few posts on the Internet, from Asus users who updated to that version of BIOS, who are having the same problem. Also, plugging a USB stick into one of those ports causes the stick to mount & dismount every few seconds, intermittently.

    I will continue to use this laptop, with no programs on it, just for the Internet as I had previously stated.
    Let's see if the freezing has been fixed.

    Will keep this thread updated, when things happen.

  10. #20
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Solved

    Hi everyone, I rolled back the BIOS version to the previous one and the Ports can now detect my usb mobile connection now. Its as simple as upgrading your BIOS, Download the previous version 309 and install it as you did earlier. The usb ports work now. I didn't have enough time touchpad but I'll keep you updated on that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •