cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z490-f 10900k Adaptive Voltage Guidance Please

bhorv67
Level 8
HI, I just finished an install of a Z490-f and am trying to get a stable OC/temp setup for everyday use at 5100mhz

Some confusing things the board is reporting - Prediction calculations:
SP - 63, Cooler 154. So it appears I have an average CPU. But, for it to reach 5100mhz nonAVX, it's telling me to set 1.48v @L4.
How can that be right? Voltage seems too high.

In experimenting, the board is in default settings with the exception of:

XMP II (gSkill Trident Z DDR4 3200 /32G) - stable
Sync all cores - 51
LLC - Level 4
Min/Max Cache Ring - 45/47
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage - Disabled
CPU Voltage - Manual
Override - 1.4

I'm able to maintain 5.1 but the cpu is idling at 50c, 90+c under load and getting some thermal throttling.

I'd like to use Adaptive voltage, but having some issues setting this properly
Assuming the other settings above,
I changed;
CPU Voltage - Adaptive
Offset Mode +
Additional Turbo Mode Voltage- 1.27
Offset - 0.1
(total voltage - 1.37)
So, when windows boots, I'm looking in HWINFO - CPU Core VID is 1.58 on all cores, VCore is 1.59.

Something isn't set right - any assistance would be appreciated, thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Try manual 1.36v LLC4

Adaptive uses VID and your offset will add voltage to an already high vid

kvarq
Level 11
Just received my 10900KS, SP63 (probably most of the users have this), my aim is 5.2GHz daily / gaming.

Edit: my SP63 is really crappy. #X019E439

5.2Ghz won't but at all below 1.30 V LLC6, 1.34V CinebenchR15 capable, so daily would be ~0.08V extra. No way.
5.0 GHz boots with 1.20V, 1.24 R15 capable, passed stress tests at 1.32V.
LLC6 also, probably for LLC4 will want some more juice.

I have 2x16GB 4000MHz C19 ( F4-4000C19D-32GTZKK), 17-17-17-37 pretty easy still @1.35 VRAM, would like to tune a bit less some numbers, maybe go even at CL15, but tRFC would be a must. I'll increase the RAM voltage if needed, although IA/SA voltages are still default, quite high though 1.45V, 1.52 V.

AiO Arctic II 360

lemmein
Level 7
Did you guys happen to find a solution to this? I also want to use Adaptive with my 10900kf @ 5.2ghz currently running at 1.31v manual with svid support disabled.

Thing is when I switch to adaptive with SVID support enabled or auto, and set voltage to 1.31v with 0.01 offset. It keeps wanting to use the AI prediction settings so it ramps up to 1.48 - 1.5v in windows. I can't get around this no matter what. I'm using Z490-E Im wondering if it's a motherboard issue.??? please help.

Also I've overclocked my 8700k before to 5ghz with adaptive voltage bfore on a z370-e. I feel like it's something to do with the new series z490 from asus not allowing me to use Adaptive the way i did with previous series.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I haven't got around to this yet...too busy...but you might look into VF offset curve.....looks like that might be the way to do it...?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
bhorv67 wrote:
HI, I just finished an install of a Z490-f and am trying to get a stable OC/temp setup for everyday use at 5100mhz

Some confusing things the board is reporting - Prediction calculations:
SP - 63, Cooler 154. So it appears I have an average CPU. But, for it to reach 5100mhz nonAVX, it's telling me to set 1.48v @L4.
How can that be right? Voltage seems too high.

In experimenting, the board is in default settings with the exception of:

XMP II (gSkill Trident Z DDR4 3200 /32G) - stable
Sync all cores - 51
LLC - Level 4
Min/Max Cache Ring - 45/47
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage - Disabled
CPU Voltage - Manual
Override - 1.4

I'm able to maintain 5.1 but the cpu is idling at 50c, 90+c under load and getting some thermal throttling.

I'd like to use Adaptive voltage, but having some issues setting this properly
Assuming the other settings above,
I changed;
CPU Voltage - Adaptive
Offset Mode +
Additional Turbo Mode Voltage- 1.27
Offset - 0.1
(total voltage - 1.37)
So, when windows boots, I'm looking in HWINFO - CPU Core VID is 1.58 on all cores, VCore is 1.59.

Something isn't set right - any assistance would be appreciated, thanks

Hello, can I ask why you're using a positive offset?

If setting the desired value in Additional Turbo Voltage is above the minimum VID, there is no need to apply an offset as this is not true adaptive mode. If the desired voltage is below the minimum VID for a given ratio, a negative offset need be applied.
However, please note that the offset mode is subtracted from the entire VID stack, so will also impact idle voltage and is not a true adaptive voltage.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello, can I ask why you're using a positive offset? (+)?

If setting the desired value in Additional Turbo Voltage is above the minimum VID, there is no need to apply an offset as this is not true adaptive mode. If the desired voltage is below the minimum VID for a given ratio, a negative offset need be applied.
However, please note that the offset mode is subtracted from the entire VID stack, so will also impact idle voltage and is not a true adaptive voltage.

Hi there,

I just want to add that anything I’ve put in to adaptive setting it gets overridden by the Ai prediction suggested settings. So no matter if I’ve left the offset alone or negative or positive. I’ve tried everything, the only time adaptive works is if I set my core ratio to a lower ratio such as x49 which only requires 1.3v or below then it’ll behave. That still means I still have to adhere to the ai rules. It just won’t let me set my own desired voltage for adaptive. Manual voltage all works fine though.Â*

lemmein wrote:
Hi there,

I just want to add that anything I’ve put in to adaptive setting it gets overridden by the Ai prediction suggested settings. So no matter if I’ve left the offset alone or negative or positive. I’ve tried everything, the only time adaptive works is if I set my core ratio to a lower ratio such as x49 which only requires 1.3v or below then it’ll behave. That still means I still have to adhere to the ai rules. It just won’t let me set my own desired voltage for adaptive. Manual voltage all works fine though.Â*

I'm late to the ballgame but I was interested in this topic. This is my first time messing with a z490 board and I have no experience beyond my previous z270 board. Im just a casual gamer.

Let me preface that this cpu isn't a great overclocker and I don't need it to overclock in the traditional sense. I just want it to remain at 4.9 when under load without throttling downward to 4.2 or whatever lower clocks it goes to when thermals are over 70. I also want it to turbo as marketed.

So I think I'm able to use adaptive voltage settings as described at start of this. Note: CPU core ratio set to "AI optimized" instead of "sync all cores", AI optimized allows the cpu to move between 53 turbo and 49 which is default. Offset mode to "negative" and there's no changing to additional turbo mode voltage, its always set to 0.250 to allow for turbo needs. Offset voltage is set to auto. Now I'm still playing around with this setting so I might have some room to set the offset to something other than auto but for the sake of this discussion, that's what I'm using.

I ran some stability tests, realbench and r20 for starters. My voltages did exactly what was intended. Ran high enough to keep my system @ 4.9 (no throttling or underclocking) under load and undeclocked at idle with lower voltages. It would turbo to 5.3 as needed. Went back into the bios and checked adaptive voltage -- it was set by the BIOS to 1.2v...presumably that's what it's at in that moment in time or where it was when it was benching -- I don't know. But while stressing the system I kept an eye on my values and they ran mostly at 1.2 with the highest @1.4 though I never saw it operate at 1.4 -- perhaps that's what it uses when operating at 5.3 under lighter loads before or after the stress test/bench. However when not stress testing, I can see the system using turbo and down-clocking at to 799mhz at times with lower voltages as appropriate. Incidentally, I keep my cache ratio to 48 and it seems fine.

This is my experience with this Asus board. Hope this helps. If anyone has any input on what I'm doing, I'd appreciate it.

Edit: just noting my r20 score @ 4.9 with cache ration to 47 is: 6349 and at 48 is at 6421. Background processes minimal. To me, I feel like this gives me the performance it was intended for out of the box without thermal throttling . If it would fail to clock at these settings out of the box, I'd be highly disappointed

pkirk618 wrote:

Let me preface that this cpu isn't a great overclocker and I don't need it to overclock in the traditional sense. I just want it to remain at 4.9 when under load without throttling downward to 4.2 or whatever lower clocks it goes to when thermals are over 70. I also want it to turbo as marketed.

If that's your goal, I think the solution is much simpler. I know this was a while ago, but for you or anyone else looking to accomplish this same thing, I believe all you'd need to do is change your Turbo duration (seconds) in BIOS to the highest it can go. I don't have it in front of me, but when I max mine out I think it shows a value of 4095 or something like that. THis basically tells your computer not to drop the clocks back down to 4.2 after the default number of seconds.

Additionally, if you just enable Multicore Enhancement, it essentially does the same thing. Removes your power limits, maxes out your power draw, but as long as you aren't changing your stock clock/ratio config I think it will do what you want it to do. Maxing out your power limits/draw shouldn't affect how much voltage it pulls overall because you're not changing the ratio/clocks from stock settings. 4.9ghz will pull the voltage set on the internal VID table, which you can see in the V/F Point Curve menu.