Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Maximus IV Gene Z Gen3 Freezing problem.

I am having a problem for the past 3 months where only after the PC has been on for about hours, windows will "freeze" in a very bizarre manner. I have run windows memory diagnostic over night and it found no problem. I have not enabled any overclocking. I have also installed all of the latest drivers and updates. I believe the motherboard may be defective, a brand new gene z gen 3 that i just built up.

Let me describe the freeze: i have only observed this behavior after the computer has been on for 12-48 hours. Everything will be working fine and then suddenly links on a browser window wont work at all. Then i will try to open task manager, which will not open. I can try to open apps from the start menu, but they flash for a second, and then disappear without opening. After i have tried to open several apps, explorer will freeze.

What is strange is that i can still move the mouse. I can still hear sound in the background. The numbers and animations on my widgets continue to work fine. But everything is locked up. There is no hint of the problem in the logs and since i cannot open task manager, i cannot troubleshoot individual programs.

Pushing the reset button is my only option, and the computer reboots fine and then continues to work fine for 12-48 hours until the next freeze.

The bottom line is that my last system was stable 24/7 for months at a time, and this new asus based system can barely make it for a day or two without a restart! Not very encouraging!

I have 4x4gb 1600 ram g skill ripjaw. configured XMP in bios.

CPU is 2500k at stock clock.

I have an ATI 6950, intel video is disabled, latest 12.2 drivers.

Power is antec 750W high current gamer.

My storage is 2 x 160gb intel 320 series ssd in raid 0. 2TB external HDD.

DVD burner, card reader installed.

Silverstone tj-08 case.

Windows 7 pro x64 sp1 all updates w/ security essentials and malwarebytes.

I am no stranger to computers or overclocking. This problem is proving to be almost impossible to diagnose though.

My 5 year old qx6700 socket 775 was rock stable 24x7 overclocked to 3.4Ghz. I used the same video cards i have in the new system. I actually went from tri fire to bi fire in the "cross-grade" (I can't really call it an upgrade yet until it's stable)

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Otherwise i plan to return the board for a refund and get something else.

I did a completely clean install of everything using drivers from the website. Like i mentioned i have been building my rigs for a long time and never seen something freeze like this... I plan to RMA this week unless i find a solution before hand.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Troubleshooting steps:

1) Ensure you are on the latest UEFI build and using the IRST drivers from the ASUS site to go with it.
    2) Enable "Hot Plug" in UEFI on the ports that the SSDs are connected to (cannot recall if that option is available in RAID, but it should be). Additionally, ensure the SSDs are using the latest firmware.

If that does not help check Event Viewer in the OS to see if any timeouts or other irregularities are flagged around the time of the freezes.

3) If nothing above helps, remove two of the memory modules and manually set VCCSA/IO to 1.15V and see if the frequency of the freezes changes. If it does, it will be down to DRAM settings and such.

-Raja

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Troubleshooting steps:

1) Ensure you are on the latest UEFI build and using the IRST drivers from the ASUS site to go with it.
    2) Enable "Hot Plug" in UEFI on the ports that the SSDs are connected to (cannot recall if that option is available in RAID, but it should be). Additionally, ensure the SSDs are using the latest firmware.

If that does not help check Event Viewer in the OS to see if any timeouts or other irregularities are flagged around the time of the freezes.

3) If nothing above helps, remove two of the memory modules and manually set VCCSA/IO to 1.15V and see if the frequency of the freezes changes. If it does, it will be down to DRAM settings and such.

-Raja
    1) I am on v0402 of the bios. I read many reports of problems with the 3203 posted on the site. What do you advise?
    2) There are no errors at all in the event log. The ssd's are on the latest firmware 4pc10362 from intel. I also have the latest IRST installed, version 10.6.2.1011. I will double check the hot plug settings and post back soon.
    3) I ran memtest 86 for 5 days straight with no errors while i was out of town last week. Coupled with the passing results from windows mem diagnostic I think that definitively rules out a memory problem. What do you think?

Is it time to RMA?

ROG Member Array

Hot plug was disabled, but i have now enabled it. Only time will tell if this fixes it. I will post back with a video next time i encounter the freeze. Will that help you Raja?

Quote Originally Posted by gazorp View Post
    Hot plug was disabled, but i have now enabled it. Only time will tell if this fixes it. I will post back with a video next time i encounter the freeze. Will that help you Raja?
    The video won't help me any more than the posts you have made unless you can find something specific the system does that cannot be translated into text.

WRT to your other post:

1) Stick with 0402 for now.

2) Let me know on hot plug.

3) Passing a stress tests shows a percentage of stability. Depends how close the patterns used mimic the usage the system is put through. I would remove two of the modules if Hot Plug does not help and let us know if that changes anything. If not, we dig deeper.

ROG Member Array

I will keep you and everyone else posted. Thanks very much for the tips Raja, I TRULY appreciate it.

ROG Member Array

The video won't help me any more than the posts you have made unless you can find something specific the system does that cannot be translated into text.

WRT to your other post:

1) Stick with 0402 for now.

2) Let me know on hot plug.

3) Passing a stress tests shows a percentage of stability. Depends how close the patterns used mimic the usage the system is put through. I would remove two of the modules if Hot Plug does not help and let us know if that changes anything. If not, we dig deeper.
    I am still experiencing the same symptoms after changing the hot plug settings. I was going to make a video but you mentioned that would not be helpful. I think you will find it interesting how i can still operate the mouse and start menu, but programs wont launch and ctrl alt delete does not work. The only solution is hard reset.

If you are suggesting there is a problem with using four sticks of ram, can you suggest what settings to change to run my ram stable? I realize you said to remove two sticks for testing, but even if this solved the freezing, what would the remedy be with the set of 4x4gb?

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else to try. If this does not work I plan to return the board as defective.

Pull two of the memory sticks for now (pull from slots 1&3), if it helps let me know then I will need screenshots of UEFI from you.

-Raja

ROG Member Array

Pull two of the memory sticks for now (pull from slots 1&3), if it helps let me know then I will need screenshots of UEFI from you.

-Raja
    I am going to try this today. Did you mean remove from slot a1 and b1?

Quote Originally Posted by gazorp View Post
    Did you mean remove from slot a1 and b1?
    yes, those two

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast