cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Swift PG279Q - Thunderfly or dead pixel

DrSahl
Level 7
Hi everybody

I have used Asus products for over 20 years and seldom had any issues, lately however I have had a GPU go bad (got replaced! good service) and now I have issue with my monitor. I think it might be a dead thunderfly that is stuck on the screen (close to the middle!) They should not be able to reach there should they??? what can I do about this? should I RMA or is there any other solutions?

When I search about it and Asus monitor, people mention they have had their monitor replaced by Asus (they come and exchange your old monitor to another used/repaired monitor of the same brand... I am abit stressed out by the situation and more so because this monitor is the best I have ever had (had it for over 1½ year, without any issues at all)

So have any of you encountered dead pixels or as I think it might be, a dead bug inside your monitor (I still can´t understand how this is possible, should they not be sealed?) and how did you solve it ?

I have attached two pictures that showcase the "black spot" it is rather annoying.
7 REPLIES 7

USERMAC
Level 9
I have the same issue it happened to me yesterday I had the windows open as it was soo hot and this Thrip otherwise know as thunder bug crawled in and was moving around in the screen. I turn the screen off as they usually crawl back out but not this time as it died right in the top centre of my PG258Q.

There is no way to fix this as nobody wants to take the screen apart to get the bug out. It would be good if Asus offered a repair service to open up the screen and remove but that is never going to happen.

If there was a guide to remove the panel I would do it myself but have yet to find one.

Sucks living in the country side as there are loads of them in the summer.

USERMAC wrote:
I have the same issue it happened to me yesterday I had the windows open as it was soo hot and this Thrip otherwise know as thunder bug crawled in and was moving around in the screen. I turn the screen off as they usually crawl back out but not this time as it died right in the top centre of my PG258Q.

There is no way to fix this as nobody wants to take the screen apart to get the bug out. It would be good if Asus offered a repair service to open up the screen and remove but that is never going to happen.

If there was a guide to remove the panel I would do it myself but have yet to find one.

Sucks living in the country side as there are loads of them in the summer.

Ohh I am sorry to hear, that you also had the same issue. I think the issue lies within the design and maybe it is because this is not a issue everywhere? But when I search for information (I have used alot of time today to research) it seems like a common issue, even in TV´s Laptop´s etc. Most people on other threads, say that Asus will do a switch.. I hope that is true, that would be great support! even if it is a "fixed" repaired monitor sent in.

I have recently had an issue with a GPU (also a Asus) and the seller sent me a new one! This is the first time I have had issues with ROG products or tbh Asus in general and I have used them for over 20 years. I often advice friends/family to buy Asus, mainly because I have had no issue, I hope this turns out well.
Tbh had the bugs been at the bottom or almost out of vision, I might have not done a RMA on it, but this is pretty much in the golden ratio visual... It ruins all I do on the screen, gaming, movies, art, etc.

I wonder why they don´t just fully close the gab, since it has no function (they don´t get in by the vents etc) they get in from the bezel and then after that in due to the "glas?" panel not being fully closed. I hope the design might change in the future, I have had other models of screens and none of them are affected (I even had a laptop and another monitor for another build, that was not affected at all)

I hope you get a good solution, I will make sure to reply here how Asus respond to my RMA.

USERMAC
Level 9
I wont get another chance as this is the second time this has happened and now my screen is out of warranty.
I simply put RMA request in said the screen was bugged and Asus arranged for collection/swap really easy you will not have an issue. It cost Asus too much to pay for someone to look at the screen and take it apart so there system is to just collect screen and swap with a refurbished one.

USERMAC wrote:
I wont get another chance as this is the second time this has happened and now my screen is out of warranty.
I simply put RMA request in said the screen was bugged and Asus arranged for collection/swap really easy you will not have an issue. It cost Asus too much to pay for someone to look at the screen and take it apart so there system is to just collect screen and swap with a refurbished one.

I have spotted more of them now and my screen actually seems to flicker and backlight issues... maybe it is just me getting crazy. Anyway my monitor is not even 2 years old, I don´t mind if it is a refurbished one, as long as it works correctly and does not have issues. I reckon if I am lucky some of these dead animals might drop down?

Anyway I will wait and see what Asus says tomorrow. I am really annoyed about the dead insects and the flicker, since it takes away my attention! some of these buggers are right in the golden zone as I said earlier, so you can´t "ignore" them.. I can do that with those at the bottom. My exprience with Asus have been great, so I hope it happens like you say and that they just come and swap. That would make me recommend them even more.

I will write here once I have resolved the issue and thank you for the post about the issue and your exprience with Asus swap service.

Another update.

Asus have now finished the RMA and have sent the monitor back to me. It has been under 10 days! Hopefully the monitor comes back fixed and ready to use, if that is the case I have to say that this is superb customer service.

Today I recieved a replacement monitor from Asus. The support have been super helpful and the time it took was very fast.
But I seem to have been unlucky with the monitor I recieved 😞 the monitor had a 5mm long and 4mm thick mark on the polarizing filter (or whatever that is spelled) I could already see a scratch on the monitor before I took it out of the box. Out of fear for future issues due to the damage to the filter, I have requested another swap.

Another thing I noticed is that there seems to be difference in the black bar around the bezel, maybe it is just me remembering wrongly, but I am certain they are equal size all around on my original monitor, in this one the black bar around the monitor is like 2-3mm thicker on the right side. I don´t know.
Everything else seems perfect, no dead pixels, no nothing... guess it might have been a transport damage?

So just an update.

After some talk with Asus support (they have been very friendly and helpful) I was suggested to RMA the replacement monitor as well. After further inspecting it I found more issues, but the damage to the polarazing filter alone, could pose more issues later on. It also has abit of backlight bleeding (albeit not enough that I would replace it for that alone) but with the uneven black frame inside the monitor and the damage most likely from transport, I was suggested to RMA

A new monitor is due to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, this time it will be without faults (or rather within acceptable quality) I again want to stress out that Asus support have been very kind and helpful towards me with good guidense and possible solutions. So if you ever get similar scenarios, use the RMA if your monitor still have a warranty! It also took almost no time for this RMA to a switch was placed.. under a week!