Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    110

    Ryujin 240 Killed My 10900k

    The fans on this useless cooler were off when I was running a game. I didn't realize this until I touched my case to feel that it was quite hot. Before I was able to exit the game, the system shutdown. Now it no longer boots. The CPU was tested on a different system and it wouldn't run on their either. WONDERFUL!!!

    Combined with the Asus Strix Z490-I, and the Asus ROG Thor, I think I built nothing but a lemonade stand. This setup makes no sense. You have a cooler with two connectors to power the fans and a fan header to connect to either the AIO or CPU ports. I originally connected this to the AIO since this IS AN AIO. When I tried booting, the system refused to go beyond post because there was no CPU cooler. You'd think that by buying all ROG components, that they'd be fully compatible.

    So, does Asus replace components damaged by its garbage hardware?

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Super Gnome PC Specs
    Super Gnome PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega / ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-9980XE / AMD 3950x
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz 128 GB / Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 32GB DDR4 3200MH
    Graphics Card #1Asus 2080 Turbo / Asus 2080 ti Turbo
    Graphics Card #2Asus 2080 Turbo / Asus 2080 ti Turbo
    MonitorJAPANNEXT JN-VT500UHD 4K 50-inch LCD
    Storage #1Crucial MX500 1 TB / Sabient SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-500
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / ADATA XPG SX5500 Pro 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360 / NZXT Kraken X62
    CaseThermaltake View 71 TG / Thermaltake View 31
    Power SupplyCORSAIR AXi Series, AX1600i 1600 watt / Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB 1200 watt
    Accessory #1 Noctua 140mm 3000 RPM x 4 / Noctua 140 mm 3000 RPM x 2
    Accessory #2 Gigabyte GC-A 2WAY NVLINK RGB (3-slot) / ROG NVLINK Bridge 3-Slot A

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Reputation
    28
    Posts
    376

    Quote Originally Posted by Snaptrap View Post
    You have a cooler with two connectors to power the fans and a fan header to connect to either the AIO or CPU ports. I originally connected this to the AIO since this IS AN AIO.
    I have a Ryujin 360 and had one connector connected to the water pump connector for the longest time, and it made no difference--the fans were still turning no problem, and my CPU core temperatures were fine. I recently switched that to the CPU connector though, which is the right way to do it (versus the water pump connector which is not for AIO coolers).

    Regardless, after initially installing my Ryujin I noted that the fans were starting and stopping a lot. This struck me as bad, and so I immediately installed and ran HWMonitor to see how the temps were. They looked fine and after a little while the fans then started running constantly, and I tweaked everything with Fan Xpert. More recently, I have reinstalled Windows (for unrelated reasons) and have not installed any Asus software. You can control your fans from the Bios.

    As for your apparently bricked CPU, connecting to the AIO port should have been fine. If you are 100% sure it is bricked I'd contact Asus and Intel myself, to try to work it out. If your Ryujin is faulty and the problem and the reason why your CPU was destroyed Asus ought to compensate you. I am not a lawyer though, but that would put you right. Intel, though, could be the one to ultimately help you out, since your system should have run fine the way you connected your Ryujin, and the CPU could easily itself have been faulty in the first place. Computers also have fail safe mechanisms built in that will power down your system before your CPU is cooked. Hence, it sounds to me like your CPU was bad in the first place.
    Last edited by Super Gnome; 08-02-2020 at 11:24 PM.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    110

    The system originally began booting with VGA errors. I ran a diagnostic with Intel's software and everything passed. From what I've been reading around on other forums such as Linus Tech Tips, this platform has serious issues, especially with high performance RAM. The exchanged CPU has the same VGA problems so I doubt it's the CPU itself. The cooler went back to Amazon for a simple air cooler. Enough of this RGB garbage. I want a practical PC, not a circus.
    Last edited by Snaptrap; 08-04-2020 at 08:30 AM.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Reputation
    70
    Posts
    178

    Quote Originally Posted by Snaptrap View Post
    The fans on this useless cooler were off when I was running a game. I didn't realize this until I touched my case to feel that it was quite hot. Before I was able to exit the game, the system shutdown. Now it no longer boots. The CPU was tested on a different system and it wouldn't run on their either. WONDERFUL!!!

    Combined with the Asus Strix Z490-I, and the Asus ROG Thor, I think I built nothing but a lemonade stand. This setup makes no sense. You have a cooler with two connectors to power the fans and a fan header to connect to either the AIO or CPU ports. I originally connected this to the AIO since this IS AN AIO. When I tried booting, the system refused to go beyond post because there was no CPU cooler. You'd think that by buying all ROG components, that they'd be fully compatible.

    So, does Asus replace components damaged by its garbage hardware?
    For "CPU Fan error" you set CPU Fan to "Ignore" in monitoring. Then you can use W+Pump or AIO+Pump headers without an issue.

    The aio/wpump headers are for powering pumps directly and having them at max speed all the time (up to 3 amps).
    The radiator fan headers are for powering radiator fans. That's why each "channel" on the radiator bank reports one single RPM for that channel. It's assumed you have identical fans on that side of the radiator. Don't confuse aio_pump (or w_pump) headers with Rad_1a or rad_2a (radiator) headers.

    Also for AIO's plugged into CPU Fan or CPU Opt headers that do not monitor pump speed if the radiator fans are disconnected from the pump (e.g. Arctic Liquid Freezer II, Rev 2), you can still control the curves by setting the Qfan points manually even if no RPM is reported. E.g. setting full speed will supply full speed even if nothing is reported. Tested that with a Noctua industrial fan plugged into a non RPM sense fan connector on the Arctic LFII fan harness (only one of the three fan connectors reports RPM).
    Last edited by Falkentyne; 08-09-2020 at 04:58 PM.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Super Gnome PC Specs
    Super Gnome PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega / ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-9980XE / AMD 3950x
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz 128 GB / Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 32GB DDR4 3200MH
    Graphics Card #1Asus 2080 Turbo / Asus 2080 ti Turbo
    Graphics Card #2Asus 2080 Turbo / Asus 2080 ti Turbo
    MonitorJAPANNEXT JN-VT500UHD 4K 50-inch LCD
    Storage #1Crucial MX500 1 TB / Sabient SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-500
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / ADATA XPG SX5500 Pro 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360 / NZXT Kraken X62
    CaseThermaltake View 71 TG / Thermaltake View 31
    Power SupplyCORSAIR AXi Series, AX1600i 1600 watt / Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB 1200 watt
    Accessory #1 Noctua 140mm 3000 RPM x 4 / Noctua 140 mm 3000 RPM x 2
    Accessory #2 Gigabyte GC-A 2WAY NVLINK RGB (3-slot) / ROG NVLINK Bridge 3-Slot A

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Reputation
    28
    Posts
    376

    Quote Originally Posted by Snaptrap View Post
    on other forums such as Linus Tech Tips, this platform has serious issues, especially with high performance RAM.
    When you say this platform, what exactly are you referring to? LGA 1200 socket systems?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •