cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryujin 240 Killed My 10900k

Snaptrap
Level 10
The fans on this useless cooler were off when I was running a game. I didn't realize this until I touched my case to feel that it was quite hot. Before I was able to exit the game, the system shutdown. Now it no longer boots. The CPU was tested on a different system and it wouldn't run on their either. WONDERFUL!!!

Combined with the Asus Strix Z490-I, and the Asus ROG Thor, I think I built nothing but a lemonade stand. This setup makes no sense. You have a cooler with two connectors to power the fans and a fan header to connect to either the AIO or CPU ports. I originally connected this to the AIO since this IS AN AIO. When I tried booting, the system refused to go beyond post because there was no CPU cooler. You'd think that by buying all ROG components, that they'd be fully compatible.

So, does Asus replace components damaged by its garbage hardware?
4 REPLIES 4

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Snaptrap wrote:
You have a cooler with two connectors to power the fans and a fan header to connect to either the AIO or CPU ports. I originally connected this to the AIO since this IS AN AIO.

I have a Ryujin 360 and had one connector connected to the water pump connector for the longest time, and it made no difference--the fans were still turning no problem, and my CPU core temperatures were fine. I recently switched that to the CPU connector though, which is the right way to do it (versus the water pump connector which is not for AIO coolers).

Regardless, after initially installing my Ryujin I noted that the fans were starting and stopping a lot. This struck me as bad, and so I immediately installed and ran HWMonitor to see how the temps were. They looked fine and after a little while the fans then started running constantly, and I tweaked everything with Fan Xpert. More recently, I have reinstalled Windows (for unrelated reasons) and have not installed any Asus software. You can control your fans from the Bios.

As for your apparently bricked CPU, connecting to the AIO port should have been fine. If you are 100% sure it is bricked I'd contact Asus and Intel myself, to try to work it out. If your Ryujin is faulty and the problem and the reason why your CPU was destroyed Asus ought to compensate you. I am not a lawyer though, but that would put you right. Intel, though, could be the one to ultimately help you out, since your system should have run fine the way you connected your Ryujin, and the CPU could easily itself have been faulty in the first place. Computers also have fail safe mechanisms built in that will power down your system before your CPU is cooked. Hence, it sounds to me like your CPU was bad in the first place.

Snaptrap
Level 10
The system originally began booting with VGA errors. I ran a diagnostic with Intel's software and everything passed. From what I've been reading around on other forums such as Linus Tech Tips, this platform has serious issues, especially with high performance RAM. The exchanged CPU has the same VGA problems so I doubt it's the CPU itself. The cooler went back to Amazon for a simple air cooler. Enough of this RGB garbage. I want a practical PC, not a circus.

Snaptrap wrote:
on other forums such as Linus Tech Tips, this platform has serious issues, especially with high performance RAM.

When you say this platform, what exactly are you referring to? LGA 1200 socket systems?

Falkentyne
Level 12
Snaptrap wrote:
The fans on this useless cooler were off when I was running a game. I didn't realize this until I touched my case to feel that it was quite hot. Before I was able to exit the game, the system shutdown. Now it no longer boots. The CPU was tested on a different system and it wouldn't run on their either. WONDERFUL!!!

Combined with the Asus Strix Z490-I, and the Asus ROG Thor, I think I built nothing but a lemonade stand. This setup makes no sense. You have a cooler with two connectors to power the fans and a fan header to connect to either the AIO or CPU ports. I originally connected this to the AIO since this IS AN AIO. When I tried booting, the system refused to go beyond post because there was no CPU cooler. You'd think that by buying all ROG components, that they'd be fully compatible.

So, does Asus replace components damaged by its garbage hardware?

For "CPU Fan error" you set CPU Fan to "Ignore" in monitoring. Then you can use W+Pump or AIO+Pump headers without an issue.

The aio/wpump headers are for powering pumps directly and having them at max speed all the time (up to 3 amps).
The radiator fan headers are for powering radiator fans. That's why each "channel" on the radiator bank reports one single RPM for that channel. It's assumed you have identical fans on that side of the radiator. Don't confuse aio_pump (or w_pump) headers with Rad_1a or rad_2a (radiator) headers.

Also for AIO's plugged into CPU Fan or CPU Opt headers that do not monitor pump speed if the radiator fans are disconnected from the pump (e.g. Arctic Liquid Freezer II, Rev 2), you can still control the curves by setting the Qfan points manually even if no RPM is reported. E.g. setting full speed will supply full speed even if nothing is reported. Tested that with a Noctua industrial fan plugged into a non RPM sense fan connector on the Arctic LFII fan harness (only one of the three fan connectors reports RPM).