New ROGer Array

GL504GW CPU undervolt problem after BIOS 306 update

After BIOS update to Version 306 on my GL504GW I have a CPU undervolt problem. It's not working anymore and my CPU is burning at the moment. What shall I do to be able to undervolt my CPU again?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by ux4real View Post
    After BIOS update to Version 306 on my GL504GW I have a CPU undervolt problem. It's not working anymore and my CPU is burning at the moment. What shall I do to be able to undervolt my CPU again?
    It seems if you really want to downvolt it you would need to downgrade your bios back to 305 if it worked on that version of bios. But there is a vulnerability issue that intel have suggested manufacturers patch up till they fix it, I guess.
    Last edited by KorosuKivy; 08-03-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Moderator Array

Lightbulb response to your issue

Quote Originally Posted by ux4real View Post
    Dear ux4real,
    Please refer to below statement from Intel
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...wapkw=SA-00289
    We will follow this by BIOS update for all model affected.
    Really sorry for any inconvenience caused.
    Thank you.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne@ASUS View Post
    Dear ux4real,
    Please refer to below statement from Intel
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...wapkw=SA-00289
    We will follow this by BIOS update for all model affected.
    Really sorry for any inconvenience caused.
    Thank you.
    Hey Joanne,

I understand why Asus had to disable software undervolting. My concern is that, if Asus is allowing undervolting through the BIOS, why is it limited to -80 mV?

Kindly forward this concern to the technical team, asking them to remove this limit so that we can undervolt more, and improve our temperatures so that our overall gaming experience with the laptop improves.

Other brands like MSI, Lenovo, Dell/Alienware are already allowing undervolting through BIOS without any -80 mV limit like Asus is putting, and this is the only thing preventing me from buying an Asus laptop. I'm holding off on my purchase for a few days, and if Asus promises to fix this undervolting limit issue, I'll surely buy an Asus laptop. Waiting for a positive reply from your side.
    Last edited by lakshay2020; 08-05-2020 at 10:57 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by lakshay2020 View Post
    Hey Joanne,

I understand why Asus had to disable software undervolting. My concern is that, if Asus is allowing undervolting through the BIOS, why is it limited to -80 mV?

Kindly forward this concern to the technical team, asking them to remove this limit so that we can undervolt more, and improve our temperatures so that our overall gaming experience with the laptop improves.

Other brands like MSI, Lenovo, Dell/Alienware are already allowing undervolting through BIOS without any -80 mV limit like Asus is putting, and this is the only thing preventing me from buying an Asus laptop. I'm holding off on my purchase for a few days, and if Asus promises to fix this undervolting limit issue, I'll surely buy an Asus laptop. Waiting for a positive reply from your side.
    Hi there,

how to undervolt through the BIOS in my GL504GW? Thx!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi,
    It's not possible, you need a modded bios for that.