cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for GA401IV G14 External Monitor Recommendations

Unstablemolecul
Level 7
Hi all!

I'm new here and got my GA401IV G14 about a month ago. Bought it for design work (illustrator, photoshop, lightroom, Indesign) stuff and wondering what external monitor I should get. I don't game a ton, but might do a little casually. Not sure if Freesync or G-Sync are something I should worry about. Trying to get the best bang for my buck and something versatile. Here is what I'm looking for:

• Under $1000 (The lower the better, but $1000 is my limit.)
  • Speakers would be nice, but not a must.
  • Good for photos and design work.
  • Connection type I'm not sure about. USB-C sounds nice because of 1 cord, but open to HDMI or some kind of DP adapter if you think I'd get more out of those.

Anyways, thanks in advance for your expertise!

😄

-Rob
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, don't consider myself very much of a monitor person, so you probably want to look into it more on your own or with others, but expect many of the current and better (as well as more expensive?) monitors would include both HDMI and DisplayPort type-C inputs, so may not be something you will really need to choose if your monitor includes both. Since I work for ASUS, hope it's okay to discuss ASUS monitors which honestly I don't have a whole lot of experience with since it's not a product I normally support, but if you are interested in other brands, expect they may have something similar if you want to look for particular features.

Also, you may want to verify this on your own if you have a way to hook up a monitor or TV to the ports and see which graphics chip it is connected to since it has not been verified on my side, but the PC World article below indicates the GA401IV HDMI output is connected to the onboard CPU graphics output rather than the Nvidia graphics, so something you may want to avoid if you want to get better performance.
It does indicate the type-C display port is connected to the Nvidia graphics if you trust it.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3534771/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-review-the-first-ryzen-4000-laptop.htm...
"The right side features a barrel plug for the 180-watt power brick, and a full-size HDMI 2.0b port (hooked to the CPU’s Radeon port). There’s also another USB-C port with support for DisplayPort (through the GeForce RTX card) and USB-PD (Power Delivery). "

From what little I know about monitors seems like some are more geared towards gaming while others are more geared towards design work, so not sure if there is a monitor that has a good balance of both, or if you would be less concerned about the gaming aspect, but maybe something to discuss with others who know more about it.

Again, not very familiar with these 'professional' ASUS ProArt monitors or know how good they are, but if you haven't looked into them, thought you may want to take a look and see if there are any features you must have, or don't mind not having if you go for a monitor more geared towards gaming that doesn't have those features.
Many of them seem pretty pricey, so not sure if you may want to look for a recently discontinued model that still has the features you want.
Just for fun check out the price of the PQ22UC 22-inch display which appears to have an OLED display and has the price to show for it.
https://www.asus.com/us/ProArt/Displays-Home/

Looks like ASUS is selling a wide-range of monitors which you can filter by features if you want to try to narrow down some features/models that way and compare them side by side.
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/

Anyway, hope this helps some and feel free to request more feedback from others.
You probably noticed we have a section in the ROG forums for ROG series monitors and gaming monitors in the ROG forums and if you want to try moving this thread to one of those sections, let me know which you may want to also 'bump' soon after to move up to the latest posts.

Hi! Thanks so much for all the info! I was able to get some assistance from some twitter friends online as well and decided to go with a BenQ monitor (EW3280U) and it is awesome! Gives me pretty much everything I wanted at the right price!

cl-Albert wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, don't consider myself very much of a monitor person, so you probably want to look into it more on your own or with others, but expect many of the current and better (as well as more expensive?) monitors would include both HDMI and DisplayPort type-C inputs, so may not be something you will really need to choose if your monitor includes both. Since I work for ASUS, hope it's okay to discuss ASUS monitors which honestly I don't have a whole lot of experience with since it's not a product I normally support, but if you are interested in other brands, expect they may have something similar if you want to look for particular features.

Also, you may want to verify this on your own if you have a way to hook up a monitor or TV to the ports and see which graphics chip it is connected to since it has not been verified on my side, but the PC World article below indicates the GA401IV HDMI output is connected to the onboard CPU graphics output rather than the Nvidia graphics, so something you may want to avoid if you want to get better performance.
It does indicate the type-C display port is connected to the Nvidia graphics if you trust it.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3534771/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-review-the-first-ryzen-4000-laptop.htm...
"The right side features a barrel plug for the 180-watt power brick, and a full-size HDMI 2.0b port (hooked to the CPU’s Radeon port). There’s also another USB-C port with support for DisplayPort (through the GeForce RTX card) and USB-PD (Power Delivery). "

From what little I know about monitors seems like some are more geared towards gaming while others are more geared towards design work, so not sure if there is a monitor that has a good balance of both, or if you would be less concerned about the gaming aspect, but maybe something to discuss with others who know more about it.

Again, not very familiar with these 'professional' ASUS ProArt monitors or know how good they are, but if you haven't looked into them, thought you may want to take a look and see if there are any features you must have, or don't mind not having if you go for a monitor more geared towards gaming that doesn't have those features.
Many of them seem pretty pricey, so not sure if you may want to look for a recently discontinued model that still has the features you want.
Just for fun check out the price of the PQ22UC 22-inch display which appears to have an OLED display and has the price to show for it.
https://www.asus.com/us/ProArt/Displays-Home/

Looks like ASUS is selling a wide-range of monitors which you can filter by features if you want to try to narrow down some features/models that way and compare them side by side.
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/

Anyway, hope this helps some and feel free to request more feedback from others.
You probably noticed we have a section in the ROG forums for ROG series monitors and gaming monitors in the ROG forums and if you want to try moving this thread to one of those sections, let me know which you may want to also 'bump' soon after to move up to the latest posts.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi, thanks for letting us know how it turned out and glad to hear you found something you're happy with!