cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p9x79: Marvell controller issuing "port reset" (error 129) and locking up apps

techvslife
Level 7
I've come across these windows event errors on my p9x79 deluxe after my database apps lock up and crash:
"Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued." (Source: mvs91xx)
(RaidPort1 is the Marvell RAID system)

According to this link, it's almost certainly a hardware issue:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2011/05/06/understanding-storage-timeouts-and-event-129-...

I can upgrade to the unofficial marvel 91xx 1.2.0.1019 drivers released by marvell and intel, though there are no release notes to indicate it has anything to do with this problem. Any recommendations? If I moved the array to the Intel 3 gbps ports would that compete with the I/O on the drives connected to my Intel 6 gbps ports? or is that separate?

(I suppose it may be a problem with the drives, not the controller, but I'm inclined to think it's the marvell controller. Anyone run into this before?)
3 REPLIES 3

techvslife
Level 7
update: the marvell 91xx 1.2.0.1019 drivers did not solve the issue--I had to move the drives out from the Marvell controller. Besides port resets, you may see timeout errors in the windows event log. (Not sure if perhaps the issue is with the drives, but there are a lot of problems reported with the Marvell controller.)

If anyone knows how the intel sata controller on the motherboard is set up, and whether having all 6 sata ports (2 sata v3.0 6gbps and 4 sata2.0 3gbps) loaded limits the performance of the drives or whether the sata ports are truly separate and independent channels, let me know. thanks.

Curious if you ever found a solution to this? I have the same problem with the port reset, appears to be just on these two sata 6 ports.. thinking of doing an rma on the board.. i have had it for 9 months with no issue (that i recall) till now.

techvslife wrote:

If anyone knows how the intel sata controller on the motherboard is set up, and whether having all 6 sata ports (2 sata v3.0 6gbps and 4 sata2.0 3gbps) loaded limits the performance of the drives or whether the sata ports are truly separate and independent channels, let me know. thanks.

+1, I always wondered myself how was X79 setup vs. older platforms.