Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    ASUS G73JH overheat problem

    Hello!

    I know that many have problems that their G73 will overheat if you play games. But I wonder if it's worth buying an asus g73jh for $ 700. Or should I try to lower the price? Problmet is that when you play so it will shut down for the get too hot. He has bought a macbook now. so he wants to sell it. The box have he and everything works except that the computer turns itself off when played.
    spec:
    17 "full HD screen
    intel core i7 processor (1.6 ghz + boost)
    GeForce 5870m 1gb
    8gb frame
    500gb hdd

    Btw does the keyboard light up? Which color? And it is a turbo buttom on the G73?

    If it is worth to buy it, Could I do like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXU4l...eature=related because i dont want to remove the motherboard and the rest of the parts :/

    I hope you understandings my bad english! xD
    Last edited by filipcombat; 03-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    878

    For 700$ I would say it is a good investment for that notebook.

    The reason that the notebook runs hot over time is because it gather lots of dust in the fans, so you need to use compresed air and blow it into the fans.

    Also the GPU and CPU paste can begin to dry out so it would be good to repaste it (this depends how old the notebook is)

    If I'm not wrong there is BIOS updates and vBIOS update (if I'm not wrong) for that model so if it isn't updated, that can be a source for it to run hot.

    The keyboard does light up (white) and you can mod it if you want to (search on youtube about how to do that)

    Turbo and turbo..... you have a P4G utility powered by ASUS, but many thinks that the windows power management for the battery is almost as good.

    And yes to the youtube link, as I described over

    EDIT: Turbo boost is a feature that the CPU uses... so that works when the CPU needs the extra boost
    Last edited by fuzon1337; 03-26-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    For 700$ I would say it is a good investment for that notebook.

    The reason that the notebook runs hot over time is because it gather lots of dust in the fans, so you need to use compresed air and blow it into the fans.

    Also the GPU and CPU paste can begin to dry out so it would be good to repaste it (this depends how old the notebook is)

    If I'm not wrong there is BIOS updates and vBIOS update (if I'm not wrong) for that model so if it isn't updated, that can be a source for it to run hot.

    The keyboard does light up (white) and you can mod it if you want to (search on youtube about how to do that)

    Turbo and turbo..... you have a P4G utility powered by ASUS, but many thinks that the windows power management for the battery is almost as good.

    And yes to the youtube link, as I described over

    EDIT: Turbo boost is a feature that the CPU uses... so that works when the CPU needs the extra boost
    Thank you for the quick answer! Okey, that is good to hear But can I play on the computer and it is not going to overheat it self if I only clean the fans? What is vBIOS? I know what BIOS is but I dont know what vBios is, Could you link a download source?
    What other colors could I mod to? Could I broke the keyboard if i do it wrong?
    Could I install a new windows 7 and take all drivers from the asus site?
    And my last question Could I upgrade the GPU? I know asus have special design graphics card and I wonder they do it like that? Could I exempel take a asus hd7000 serie card and put it into my laptop(Ofc if I buy it )

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    878

    The dust is always a big issue for all notebooks and desktops. A perfect working notebook/desktop are thrown out every day.

    So buy some compressed blow it into the fans, and you will see a lot of dust coming out.

    vBIOS is for the graphic/video card, so take a look at this thread. I hope that helps you out with how to flash the video card

    If you're thinking of a clean install you could use my thread (New notebook? Look here!). There you will find links to other useful threads from this forum and to support sites to the hardware

    If you want to change the backlight color, take a look at this youtube video.
    Everything have a risk of breaking down when you try to change it. So if you're comfortable with changing this, you can try it out (just remember: the golden label should face up to the keyboard and not down to the motherboard.... if you do that wrong, you will not get the lights to work... and you need to download the ATK-package from asus support so it will activate and FN+ keys will work)

    About upgrading the GPU, I am not sure, so hopefully other members in this forum can step in and help you with this
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    The dust is always a big issue for all notebooks and desktops. A perfect working notebook/desktop are thrown out every day.

    So buy some compressed blow it into the fans, and you will see a lot of dust coming out.

    vBIOS is for the graphic/video card, so take a look at this thread. I hope that helps you out with how to flash the video card

    If you're thinking of a clean install you could use my thread (New notebook? Look here!). There you will find links to other useful threads from this forum and to support sites to the hardware

    If you want to change the backlight color, take a look at this youtube video.
    Everything have a risk of breaking down when you try to change it. So if you're comfortable with changing this, you can try it out (just remember: the golden label should face up to the keyboard and not down to the motherboard.... if you do that wrong, you will not get the lights to work... and you need to download the ATK-package from asus support so it will activate and FN+ keys will work)

    About upgrading the GPU, I am not sure, so hopefully other members in this forum can step in and help you with this
    Okey, thanks for the answer! So I'll buy the PC then? It cost 5000 swedish sek But I will try to buy it for 4000 xD

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    878

    If you want to buy the pc or not is up to you. I could be very wrong when it comes to heat issue, but the most common reason is becuase the dust gathering in the fans.

    That is very cheap, but again it's a used notebook and over a year old (I think), is the notebook still under warranty or is the 2 years over?
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    If you want to buy the pc or not is up to you. I could be very wrong when it comes to heat issue, but the most common reason is becuase the dust gathering in the fans.

    That is very cheap, but again it's a used notebook and over a year old (I think), is the notebook still under warranty or is the 2 years over?
    Ok, he said the warranty is gone...

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    878

    hmm.... if you decide to buy that notebook, then you can not rely on the warranty service from ASUS, if something should happend then you will have to fix it your self or you can RMA it, but then you have to pay for the reparation.

    But still 5000,- SEK and you're trying to get it for 4000,- SEK could be both good and a bad deal....

    So if other members could ship in and give their thougts, I would appriciate that :P
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    89
    Posts
    4,437

    My 2 cents... If you gotta ask about it, you're not ready to take on someone else's problem laptop. Don't waste your money.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Okey, thanks for the answers. I want a asus laptop but I can't buy a new one because I can't afford that :/
    I live in Linkoping and he live at kungsbacka, near Goteborg. When I am nearby goteborg I can go to him and test to blow out the dust and test it. But I can't go to him until summer :/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •