cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime X570-Pro No sound from optical out and no option for 5.1 sound only stereo?

Norm
Level 9
I recently built a new system using an Asus Prime X570-Pro motherboard and Ryzen 3950X, I also have a set of Logitech Z906 5.1 surround sound speakers; I have my system attached to the speakers by optical SPDIF cable and nothing I've tried has been able to get the sound to work on any level and in the sound control panel applet on the Playback tab "Realtek Digital Output" is set as the default device and the meter to the right does show output when I play something but nothing comes out of the speakers. These speakers have a series of 5 inputs, 1 being the usual 3 mini stereo and 2 & 3 being optical and I've tried both and I can't get any output on the speakers no matter which of the two optical inputs I'm using. Also in the sound applet under Advanced there is no option for 5.1 sound only 2.1, anyone have an idea why this is? Also I have the latest Reaktek audio drivers installed, version 6.0.8971.1 dated 07/23/2020 from the Asus website; anyone have any idea's?
5 REPLIES 5

Norm
Level 9
I found the reason for the SPDIF not working, unlike the computer end the speaker end takes more than the usual amount of force to get the optical cable to "click" into the socket but still I can't get the control panel to recognize that there are 5.1 speakers attached?

These Logitech X906 speakers have two SPDIF ports and I now also have my other computer hooked up by optical; my older computer has an Asus X99-A II motherboard which has a Realtek ALC1150 8 Channel audio chip and in the option for the sound it does show the option for 5.1 speakers while this latest Asus Prime X570-Pro which has a Realtek S120A 8 channel audio chip with the latest Asus drives does not allow me to choose 5.1 speakers. What exactly is the problem here that I'm not able to select 5.1 speakers?

Did you ever get this to work?

I want to buy a new 5.1 surround system and am wondering if the digital output will allow/recognize 5.1 channels.

xeromist
Typically optical output doesn't support 5.1 these days due to licensing costs for Dolby and DTS. I ended up buying an add-in sound card (SBZ) to get 5.1 from optical.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

J_Bish
Level 10
Ive had ms drivers install over installed drivers many a time... Worth a shot...

Make sure to download the AMD chipset drivers for your motherboard, then download and install the Realtek audio drivers.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P/HelpDesk_Download/

Even without any speakers connected you should be able to switch from Stereo, 5.1 Surround & 7.1 Surround.

Norm@Home wrote:
I recently built a new system using an Asus Prime X570-Pro motherboard and Ryzen 3950X, I also have a set of Logitech Z906 5.1 surround sound speakers; I have my system attached to the speakers by optical SPDIF cable and nothing I've tried has been able to get the sound to work on any level and in the sound control panel applet on the Playback tab "Realtek Digital Output" is set as the default device and the meter to the right does show output when I play something but nothing comes out of the speakers. These speakers have a series of 5 inputs, 1 being the usual 3 mini stereo and 2 & 3 being optical and I've tried both and I can't get any output on the speakers no matter which of the two optical inputs I'm using. Also in the sound applet under Advanced there is no option for 5.1 sound only 2.1, anyone have an idea why this is? Also I have the latest Reaktek audio drivers installed, version 6.0.8971.1 dated 07/23/2020 from the Asus website; anyone have any idea's?