Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array weztmarch PC Specs
    weztmarch PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS XI APEX
    Processor9900K P0 STEPPING 12
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX 2080 TI OC
    MonitorLG 34GN850 3440x1440 160Hz
    Storage #1970 EVO PLUS 2TB
    Storage #2860 EVO 4TB
    CPU CoolerCORSAIR H150 PRO
    CaseBEQUIET! PURE BASE 500DX
    Power SupplySEA SONIC PRIME ULTRA 1000W GOLD
    Keyboard DURGOD VENUS/DURGOD K320
    Mouse CM MM711/GLORIOUS MODEL O
    Headset ARCTIS PRO WIRELESS
    Mouse Pad CORSAIR MM350
    Headset/Speakers EDIFIER R1280DB/BLUE YETI
    OS WIN10 PRO
    Network RouterTP-LINK AC1900
    weztmarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Question Oily stains on brand new MAXIMUS XII APEX VRM heatsinks

    Installed new i9-10900K processor into new ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII APEX Z490 motherboard and immediately after I finish putting everything together (prior to first attempt to boot) I notice a significant amount of oily staining between the extended VRM heatsinks around the LGA socket... Attempted to clean with 99% isopropyl alcohol the best I could and I succeeded in removing most of it, but I didn't have time to remove the heatsink itself and examine closely yet because I needed to get back to work. As best I could tell from inspecting the front of the board I didn't notice any bulging or leaking capacitors, but I can't be sure with the heatsinks obstructing my view. So far everything is OK and I see nothing obviously wrong Windows 10 installed and PC behaves normally so far. Should I be more or less worried? Any insights into what this is? Electrolyte fluid, oil from a thermal pad, excess flux? Gonna remove the heatsinks later today when I find time, but this is a concern right now for the risk to my components.

    Photos taken after cleaning with 99% iso
    https://imgur.com/a/SG0lAF7

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array howxcore PC Specs
    howxcore PC Specs
    MotherboardMaxims XI Hero- Wifi
    ProcessorCore I9 9900k 5.0 ghz
    Memory (part number)G.skill tridentz rgb 3600mhz 32gb
    Graphics Card #1msi rtx 2080ti trio x Gaming
    Sound CardSound Blaster X AE-5
    MonitorViewsonic XG270QG, BENQ PD3200U
    Storage #1970 evo m.2 1tb
    Storage #2Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD 2TB
    CPU Coolernzxt kraken x62
    Casenzxt 700i
    Power Supplyseasonic titanium 1000w
    Keyboard logitech g915 TKL
    Mouse logitech g502
    Headset Logitech G935 wireless
    Mouse Pad ICEMAT
    Headset/Speakers logitech z5500
    OS windows 10 pro 2004

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    53

    Quote Originally Posted by weztmarch View Post
    Installed new i9-10900K processor into new ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII APEX Z490 motherboard and immediately after I finish putting everything together (prior to first attempt to boot) I notice a significant amount of oily staining between the extended VRM heatsinks around the LGA socket... Attempted to clean with 99% isopropyl alcohol the best I could and I succeeded in removing most of it, but I didn't have time to remove the heatsink itself and examine closely yet because I needed to get back to work. As best I could tell from inspecting the front of the board I didn't notice any bulging or leaking capacitors, but I can't be sure with the heatsinks obstructing my view. So far everything is OK and I see nothing obviously wrong Windows 10 installed and PC behaves normally so far. Should I be more or less worried? Any insights into what this is? Electrolyte fluid, oil from a thermal pad, excess flux? Gonna remove the heatsinks later today when I find time, but this is a concern right now for the risk to my components.

    Photos taken after cleaning with 99% iso
    https://imgur.com/a/SG0lAF7
    sounds like a case of someone eating fried chicken over at asus manufacturing, and forgot to wash their hands before assembling your mobo :-P

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array weztmarch PC Specs
    weztmarch PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS XI APEX
    Processor9900K P0 STEPPING 12
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX 2080 TI OC
    MonitorLG 34GN850 3440x1440 160Hz
    Storage #1970 EVO PLUS 2TB
    Storage #2860 EVO 4TB
    CPU CoolerCORSAIR H150 PRO
    CaseBEQUIET! PURE BASE 500DX
    Power SupplySEA SONIC PRIME ULTRA 1000W GOLD
    Keyboard DURGOD VENUS/DURGOD K320
    Mouse CM MM711/GLORIOUS MODEL O
    Headset ARCTIS PRO WIRELESS
    Mouse Pad CORSAIR MM350
    Headset/Speakers EDIFIER R1280DB/BLUE YETI
    OS WIN10 PRO
    Network RouterTP-LINK AC1900
    weztmarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by howxcore View Post
    sounds like a case of someone eating fried chicken over at asus manufacturing, and forgot to wash their hands before assembling your mobo :-P

    No I don't think so.... ASUS motherboards are made in a fully automated machine assembly process.

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    14
    Posts
    55

    Quote Originally Posted by weztmarch View Post
    No I don't think so.... ASUS motherboards are made in a fully automated machine assembly process.
    It is from the thermal pads I would imagine as most of them do that. It is normal. Look at he back on many GPUs and you can see that. https://forums.evga.com/Oil-on-GPU-m2952345.aspx

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array XYchromosone PC Specs
    XYchromosone PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximux XI Extreme [BIOS 1602]
    Processori9 9900KS
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB CL17 3600MHz 32GB [4x8]
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix Gaming GTX 1080Ti 11GB
    MonitorAOC AGON AG271QG 27" 144Hz [165Hz OC]
    Storage #12 X Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD [DIMM.2_1+ DIMM.2_2]
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB SATA 3
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Floe Riing 360 Premium AIO
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard RAZER Blackwidow X Tournament Chroma
    Mouse RAZER Lancehead [ambidextrous] Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser RS165 Wireless
    Headset/Speakers Sennheiser CX 100 inner ear headphones
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 + Ubuntu Studio 20.04
    Network RouterASUS DSL-AC68U
    XYchromosone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    30
    Posts
    332

    luckily it's the thermal pads, the silicone based oil that separates from the thermal pads is non conductive so it shouldn't effect any electronic or electrical components/circuitry. However, one would prefer that this leakage of silicone oil onto the motherboard/heatsinks etc. not to occur in the first place.
    Last edited by XYchromosone; 08-18-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •