cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT-CH71 Mini Displayport; Thunderbolt capable?

season_of_ages
Level 7
Pardon me, but I'm fairly ignorant in regards to Thunderbolt and Displayport. But I'm trying to figure out if I'm able to use an audio interface for Thunderbolt via the mini Displayport of my G751JT. I'm trying to achieve recording speeds better than USB because all versions of USB 3 and above are no better than USB 2.0. But the original Thunderbolt is still faster than USB.

So far, what I can understand is that a Thunderbolt cable can be used for video transmission. Does that mean that the Mini Displayport doesn't transfer data over PCIe?
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well I quite disagree that all version of USB 3.0 are equal to USB 2.0. Since the implication of USB 3.1 which was promised with USB 3.0 is now incorporated in to USB 3.0 5 GBS is technically achievable. These USB 3.0 port as every bit as fast as eSATA ports were or are if you have one.
You'll have to check your system as to weather is support TB you will find this in your manual. or in the spec sheet that came with your notebook. you can look at the USB C port and see if it indeed has the Lightning bolt that would indicate that you do have TB. You also should show the TB device in your Device manager. Also Hwinfor64 is good at showing you what ports you have. If you have the Lightning bolt on the port and you don't see TB in your Device manager the you need to instal the software for it. Log on to your Asus account and get the drivers for your notebook.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well I quite disagree that all version of USB 3.0 are equal to USB 2.0. Since the implication of USB 3.1 which was promised with USB 3.0 is now incorporated in to USB 3.0 5 GBS is technically achievable. These USB 3.0 port as every bit as fast as eSATA ports were or are if you have one.

"although USB 3.0 offers greater bandwidth than USB 2.0, it will deliver no round trip latency benefits over USB 2.0. This is due to the architecture of the host computer driver stack and its handling of USB audio (isochronous) data."
Focusrite link

I've come across several sources describing the issues with audio recording and latency over USB. That's why I'm interested in Thunderbolt.
Now, ASUS and other sites spec the various G751J models with a Thunderbolt port. I included screenshots of all the info offered by the manual as well. Thus, I decided to ask the forum hoping someone might have firsthand experience with this situation.

Thank you for reminding me of HWiNFO64! I couldn't remember the name of this program last week. Also, I do not have anything that utilizes Thunderbolt, so i don't know how I can even experiment with the port.

season_of_ages wrote:
"although USB 3.0 offers greater bandwidth than USB 2.0, it will deliver no round trip latency benefits over USB 2.0. This is due to the architecture of the host computer driver stack and its handling of USB audio (isochronous) data."
Focusrite link

I've come across several sources describing the issues with audio recording and latency over USB. That's why I'm interested in Thunderbolt.
Now, ASUS and other sites spec the various G751J models with a Thunderbolt port. I included screenshots of all the info offered by the manual as well. Thus, I decided to ask the forum hoping someone might have firsthand experience with this situation.

Thank you for reminding me of HWiNFO64! I couldn't remember the name of this program last week. Also, I do not have anything that utilizes Thunderbolt, so i don't know how I can even experiment with the port.

I'll back off since I don't have a 751, I', familiar with the USB C Port carrying Thunderbolt my 752 does and it shows up in my device manager. I also have a mini DP I have never used. From what your screen shot say you should have TB connectivity through the Mini DP port
Weather you could use that for audio separate from Video I have no idea and will just back out now hopefully someone that actually had or has a 751 will set up and help you.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Blake1
Level 10
Hello season_of_ages,
We can only assure that the mini DisplayPort on your device support both video and audio export,
but how would it converted to a Thunderbolt signal and then to be received properly by your recording device can not be guranteeed.
Thank you.

Blake@ASUS wrote:
Hello season_of_ages,
We can only assure that the mini DisplayPort on your device support both video and audio export,
but how would it converted to a Thunderbolt signal and then to be received properly by your recording device can not be guranteeed.
Thank you.

I see. So I would need to experiment myself. I guess I could try to find a cheap Thunderbolt audio device.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
I wouldn't mind trying an audio interface I actually want to use, but used prices seem awfully high

season_of_ages
Level 7
In case anyone wanted to follow my footsteps, my laptop model G751JT-CH71 indeed supports Thunderbolt 1. It's very fast! I had a Transcend Jetdrive 855 and it was wonderful. Also, for anyone interested in music production (recording) I had a PreSonus Quantum 2 22×24 (Thunderbolt 2). Although I never got to daisy chain the peripherals (my home was broken in and everything was stolen; EVERYTHING) I'm sure daisy chaining Thunderbolt wouldn't have had any issues. Now I wish there were more options for Thunderbolt NVMe SSDs available, even Thunderbolt 2! So far I can only find the Jetdrive 855 as "closest" to affordable prices.