New ROGer Array

Zephyrus G14 RTX 2060 GPU memory clock on battery

Hi, this is my first post on these forums. I've had my Zephyrus G14 with 4900hs and RTX 2060 for a few days, and I've noticed that the GPU memory clock drops drastically from ~5500mhz to 810mhz when the laptop is unplugged. This substantially decreases GPU performance by more than 70%, at what appears to be little decrease in power consumption. Owners of the GTX 1650ti version have shown me that the 1650ti version does not downclock it's GPU memory when unplugged, opting instead to downclock the GPU - this results in far less decrease in performance, but achieves similar power savings.

This results in the peculiar situation where the 1650ti G14 is actually faster than the 2060 G14 while on battery. I think this is a pretty unacceptable state of affairs, given how much more the 2060 version costs. I certainly expected to get superior performance when I made the decision to go for the 2060 version over the less expensive SKUs. I believe this is an ASUS software issue rather than an issue with Windows or Nvidia drivers, so it should be resolvable by ASUS. I would grateful if ASUS could rectify this situation.

Thank You.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi, I noticed it too and I'm very disapointed by that.
    Did you find any solution?

New ROGer Array

Unfortunately not

ROG Enthusiast Array

I hope that the issue will be solved by a bios update! I really hope!

Moderator Array

Dear both,
    May I know which mode you are on when this issue happen?
    or all mode are the same?
    Thank you.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello Blake, the issue happens in every mode on battery, even on performance mode or windows mode.
    The problem remains, even when plugin a USB-C POWER DELIVERY of 100W.
    It would be much better to decrease the core clock instead of the memory clock like Keyboard said in the first post, and like Razer do on their blade laptops.

New ROGer Array

I have a Zephyrus G14 with 1660Ti also facing similar problems, GPU memory frequency is stuck at 810mhz when on battery power, anyway to increaase it?