cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z270-I motherboard overheating M.2

ferrugia
Level 7
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was running a ROG STRIX Z270-I motherboard with M.2s and, if so, what your M.2 drive temperatures were.

I have a Samsung 950 PRO 256GB in one slot (primary drive with the OS) and a 970 EVO 1TB in the other (used generally and for storage) and the 950 especially runs super hot. 60 degrees C at idle. I understand NMVe drives like the 950 PRO do run hot, well understood, but still this is just too hot *at idle*. It seems like the M.2 stick is seated well and so the heatsyncs should be working and, I would think, keeping them much cooler. I'm confused why my temperatures are so high. If I do any kind of heavy read/write like when my backup runs the drive throttles. Need to figure out a solution, any other data points appreciated.

TIA.
2 REPLIES 2

dae
Level 7
ferrugia wrote:

I was wondering if anyone was running a ROG STRIX Z270-I motherboard with M.2s and, if so, what your M.2 drive temperatures were.

My WD BLACK SN750 1TB on Z270-E is around 40c idle.

Did you remove the sticker on the thermal pad?

ferrugia
Level 7
Thanks for the reply. Weird I didn't get a notification. Yes, the sticker is off. I think the issue if that the 950 Pro 256GB just runs extremely hot. I replaced it with a 980 Pro 1TB and it runs much cooler....