cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL503GE - Mic/Input Audio stutters a lot. Got interviews coming up, please help!

Rush_
Level 8
Hello rog community,
I own a 2 year old Asus ROG Strix GL503GE. Sometime last year, something happened to my microphone (I'm not exactly sure when as I didn't use my mic much then).

The problem:
Everytime I record through my mic (and any mic, I've tried 4-5 headsets, inbuilt mic, even WO Mic using my phone), the audio is full of breaks & stutters a lot.
This happens everywhere, from Zoom calls to Ingame talking.

Please see the link shared below for a sample I just recorded to get an idea of what is happening.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uAJuMIbyJRIhUBaGwof6ptAXa9IW5so_/view?usp=sharing

It seems as if it records in the beginning, but if I continuously speak it stops/breaks or volume gets low, then if I change my pitch or shout, it records again for 1-2 seconds. I'm not sure what is causing this, or even if it is a software, hardware or BIOS issue (my bios version is 316).

I've tried a lot of "common" fixes for microphone/audio/driver problems available on the internet. From updating/uninstalling drivers to most options I could find on Windows. I've also tried to record in Linux VM installed on VirtualBox & that also had the same issue. And like I said above, I've tried several different mics and none of that worked. I've also disabled all the enhancements in voice settings & played around with mic boost, to no avail though.

Please help, it would mean a lot as I have some job interviews coming up in a few days (tech interviews that I can only give on my laptop) and I'm really worried what I'll do if I don't get this fixed.

Even if you have some sort of idea, please throw it at me as I'm willing to try.

Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

You have an ASUS ROG SS3 notebook, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3 NB) from the first post of this thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3 NB-DT) from the first post of this thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I just followed your process completely, from cleanup to installation.

However, my mic doesn't seem to be working/connected now. In voice recorder, it says "to get started, connect a microphone" & I can't hear anything when I "listen" to my microphone in Sound Settings either. (Tried with both laptop mic & external earphones)

What should I do to fix this?

Edit: btw I couldn't find any of those .inf files you mentioned in Drive Store Explorer after uninstalling realtek & sonic stuff so I proceeded to installation as you said after restart.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3 NB-DT) from the first post of this thread.

I just did the updating process & restarted again.
Holy ****, it seems to have fixed it for the most part (for some reason the sound still gets low when I get loud, but maybe thats because of noise suppression or some other settings in realtek control or sonic)

Anyways, you're awesome!
You just saved my interviews man, never could've done this myself.
Thank you so much ❤️

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

Hi, thanks for your help, but I really want to know why these drivers are not listed on ASUS website? I have my GL503GE too and the latest available audio driver from that site for my laptop is version V6.0.8746.1.

KorosuKivy
Level 10
Rush. wrote:
Hello rog community,
I own a 2 year old Asus ROG Strix GL503GE. Sometime last year, something happened to my microphone (I'm not exactly sure when as I didn't use my mic much then).

The problem:
Everytime I record through my mic (and any mic, I've tried 4-5 headsets, inbuilt mic, even WO Mic using my phone), the audio is full of breaks & stutters a lot.
This happens everywhere, from Zoom calls to Ingame talking.

Please see the link shared below for a sample I just recorded to get an idea of what is happening.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uAJuMIbyJRIhUBaGwof6ptAXa9IW5so_/view?usp=sharing

It seems as if it records in the beginning, but if I continuously speak it stops/breaks or volume gets low, then if I change my pitch or shout, it records again for 1-2 seconds. I'm not sure what is causing this, or even if it is a software, hardware or BIOS issue (my bios version is 316).

I've tried a lot of "common" fixes for microphone/audio/driver problems available on the internet. From updating/uninstalling drivers to most options I could find on Windows. I've also tried to record in Linux VM installed on VirtualBox & that also had the same issue. And like I said above, I've tried several different mics and none of that worked. I've also disabled all the enhancements in voice settings & played around with mic boost, to no avail though.

Please help, it would mean a lot as I have some job interviews coming up in a few days (tech interviews that I can only give on my laptop) and I'm really worried what I'll do if I don't get this fixed.

Even if you have some sort of idea, please throw it at me as I'm willing to try.

Thank you.

If for example you're using Discord in Advanced disable: noise suppression (beta) keep the two video codecs on in voice processing turn echo cancelation off, keep noise reduction on and keep automatic gain control on.

I you using any software like voicemod or maskers/tools you need to make sure that the input and output values on those programs are set to maximimum as it can cause conflicts with other broadcasting or VOIP programs like discord.

but yea it sounds to me from your audio clip that you may have echo canceling or noise suppresion active and your voice when spoken gently isn't getting picked up. Give it a shot see how it works out.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Ghauntret,
Thank you for your feedback.
We would put the drivers that we have tested or verified with that model on the support website.
You may update latter version from the supplier directly if you want.