cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help needed for new editing rig!

Artino
Level 9
I could totally use some help with my build. Main purpose is for editing with Adobe premiere, after effects and cutting R3D footage and I need as much power as possible!

Here's one I've put together so far but I still have not placed my order, I'm still trying to decide on which ram I should buy (I've never understood memory and timing. Its like quantum physics to my brain for some reason)

CPU: Intel i7-3930k

mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

Here's where I'm stuck, which ram??? I keep reading different things on different forums. Some say stick to 1.5V 1600, others say they've had no problem with 2133 and that it will give better performance.

So which of these would you recommend with my CPU and motherboard?:

memory option1: 32gb G.Skill DDR3 1600

memory option2: 32gb G.Skill DDR3 2133

or should I look at something else altogether?? Also, how well would buying two sets of 32gb ram work with this mobo and cpu for a total of 64gb? Is it worth the extra cost when it comes to editing and rendering time?

As for video card, i'm waiting for the new GTX 680's to show up on sale again, they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Last question for now is regarding my power supply, I'm already using this Antec 850 with the current build: Antec 850 power supply

is it enough to run everything stable on the new build or should I also upgrade the power supply? I'm looking at this combo since I'll need to upgrade the case as well:

1200W power supply and 800D case

I'd totally appreciate any help on these questions! Thanks in advance!!!!!
3 REPLIES 3

Syber
Level 8
Well if running the GTX680's in SLI, I'd get the 1200W psu, just to be sure you have the juice. On the RAM, it doesnt really matter. You won't see much performance difference between 1600 and 2133. At least that's how I see it. To be anything above 1800mhz is overkill so just stick with the 1600
Current Specs:
Asus Crosshair II Formula ( running old school )
AMD Athlon64 le-1600 @ 2.8Ghz
2GB DDR2 800MHz
Sapphire Radeon HD3870 512MB @806Mhz

Live to WIN! - Paul Stanley
The Choice Of Champions - Asus ROG.

thanks for the advice.

what about buying 2 sets of the 1600 for a total of 64gb? can I run 2 sets of the 32gb ripjaws on this board with stable results? any downside to this option?

Syber
Level 8
no as long as it supports the 64gb then there is no problem. as long as they have the same CAL timings, frequency and voltage its fine
Current Specs:
Asus Crosshair II Formula ( running old school )
AMD Athlon64 le-1600 @ 2.8Ghz
2GB DDR2 800MHz
Sapphire Radeon HD3870 512MB @806Mhz

Live to WIN! - Paul Stanley
The Choice Of Champions - Asus ROG.