cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Wifi - POST Q-Code Stops at 14/15

bjcsoln
Level 7
So, first attempt at POSTing my build. Crosshair VIII, 3900XT, 2 x 16mb Trident Z-Nero RAM.

All the fans come on, the RBG lights, the pump, etc. The RAM LEDs also light up. No beeps or anything though,

Unfortunately, the QCode stops at 15, and the QLED for the RAM stays at yellow. I have tried just the single sticks in each of the slots, tried the pair in the alternate slot, also grabbed a stick from my current build. Note that the stick from my current build reacted slightly differently - I could see the POST code - CC, 92, C8, 14, 15 (then repeat).

With the two new sticks (16 x 😎 - it pretty much just goes to 14,15, then resets. I did confirm that the RAM is on ASUS QVL.

I reset all of the power cable connectors as well for good measure, and reset the CMOS (using the button on the back), also reflashed the BIOS to the latest.

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7

RedSector73
Level 12
Confirm what you think is current BIOS you have flashed with and the process used.

If you're attempting both RAM, make sure you are using slots 2 & 4 (B2 & A2) from the CPU.
For only one try slot 4 (A2) from the CPU.

Bit hard to understand your post. Cycling and reset generally means having trouble RAM training. Stopping completely on a post code and not moving forward = actual post code error. Cycling and/or Resetting means a post code error is not being generated.

bjcsoln
Level 7
Good point RedSerctor - good troubleshooting requires good documentation.
Base Hardware: 3900XT, 2 x 16MB Trident ZNeo - (PN on the ASUS QVL), 2080TI, 750W Corsair HXI
First attempt: - using Mobo right out of the box:
- DRAM in recommended slots A2 and B2
- Turned on PSU power switch, start light button lit up, Hero logo on
- Turned on power, fans turned on , RGB (connected to blocks) turned on, pump turned on
- Yellow QLED (DRAM) turns immediately on, Q-code flashes a few numbers (too quick to see), then 14,15,14, then 15 (stays on last 15 for about a second), Then entire cycle starts again. Note that it takes a couple of seconds before the RGB on the DRAM to turn on.

First debug attempts (all with the same results):
- move the pair of ram to the A1 / B1 slot
- tried (each) of the single sticks in each of the slots
- reset all of the power cables on the MB
- took a single stick of DD4 from current rig, put it in - same results except that I could see the cycle of the Q-codes: CC, 92, C8, 14, 15 (repeat)

Went back to single stick of the 16MB.

- Held down the clear CMOS button (for 3 seconds) - no impact
- downloaded BIOS 2204, changed file name and copied to USB
- Plugged USB into the USB BIOS flashback port - held the BIOS flashback button - it turned blue, then started slowley flashing (probably for about 5 minutes), then it stopped and turned off
- powered off and on - same results

Thank you for the additional information. I had to ask about BIOS just to be sure.
Check the cables are all plugged in fully to the motherboard.

Drop the CMOS battery, unplug the PSU power wait 1 minute, pop the battery back in and psu power. See if it boots.

What cooler are you using and did you change the cpu backplate by chance. Overtightening of the CPU can cause non-boot and if you reverse a backing plate (some come with their own and can be mounted backwards).

I would also try using the 1302 BIOS and this was very good bios version and was first to support your CPU. Not that I have anything against the latest, more a case of the devil you know. The latest I'm using but only used it few days and ASUS have been somewhat underwhelming (to useless) with RAM support of late.

WOOT!! She posts!!! Red I think you were right (with regards to the waterblock mount). I stripped it all down, remounted the mobo block, put it all back together, and it made it to the bios.

Thanks for your suggestions - now just need to wait for a few more parts to come in, then I can start setting up the OS.

bjcsoln
Level 7
RedSector - based on your feedback, I will pull out the MOBO and recheck the mount of the water block (just to make sure it is not too tight). As for the backing plate (and to confirm, are you referring to the plate on the underside of the MOBO that holds the block in place?) I will check that as well as honestly, I seem to remember not being exactly sure which side of it was up (i.e. against the circuits).

As for the recommended BIOS, I guess I can look at that once I get the rig to successfully POST - is it fair to say that it would be unlikely that the BIOS would cause one of the QLEDs to light up?

bjcsoln
Level 7
Now, does anyone know how I can updated the thread to show as Fixed?!?!

bjcsoln wrote:
Now, does anyone know how I can updated the thread to show as Fixed?!?!

Great NEWS. Stick with the latest BIOS unless you have issues.