cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM Fans wont turbo to full speed anymore causing insane framerate drops.

Nissan
Level 7
Two weeks ago I noticed that the fans on my GL504GM are no longer spinning at full speed. Before that it was AUDIBLE and LOUD. Like a jet plane about to take off. Now it doesnt spin that fast. IDK what changed. The fan mode is still in "Overboost". And because of this games now stutter like crazy. I used to be able to play Assassins Creed Odyssey at 40 - 60 FPS easily. Now, often, the framerate drops to 3 FPS because the fans can't keep the GPU cool enough.
I was on BIOS 3.11. I updated to 3.12 hoping that might fix it, but that didnt help. I'm also on the latest Nvidia Drivers 451.67.
I've already undervolted my GPU and CPU. (GPU undervolting dropped the temperature by 6 C)
Any thing I can do to ramp up the fans again?
6 REPLIES 6

silvergem
Level 7
Nissan wrote:
Two weeks ago I noticed that the fans on my GL504GM are no longer spinning at full speed. Before that it was AUDIBLE and LOUD. Like a jet plane about to take off. Now it doesnt spin that fast. IDK what changed. The fan mode is still in "Overboost". And because of this games now stutter like crazy. I used to be able to play Assassins Creed Odyssey at 40 - 60 FPS easily. Now, often, the framerate drops to 3 FPS because the fans can't keep the GPU cool enough.
I was on BIOS 3.11. I updated to 3.12 hoping that might fix it, but that didnt help. I'm also on the latest Nvidia Drivers 451.67.
I've already undervolted my GPU and CPU. (GPU undervolting dropped the temperature by 6 C)
Any thing I can do to ramp up the fans again?

Are u sure it is fan issue? many people also encounter this issue related to nvidia driver https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ho2rig/game_ready_driver_45167_faqdiscussion/

Maybe this is related on nvidia or BIOS updates

silvergem wrote:
Are u sure it is fan issue? many people also encounter this issue related to nvidia driver https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ho2rig/game_ready_driver_45167_faqdiscussion/

Maybe this is related on nvidia or BIOS updates

Definitely a fan issue. My fan used to sound LOUD before. It doesn't anymore. If the fans were going at full speed then the temps wouldnt go so high and the GPu wouldn't throttle.

Nissan wrote:
Definitely a fan issue. My fan used to sound LOUD before. It doesn't anymore. If the fans were going at full speed then the temps wouldnt go so high and the GPu wouldn't throttle.

What max temps are you in CPU and GPU?

this is my recorded of FPS drop issue which is related to GPU 100% CPU usage

Issue was also discussed here since 2018

silvergem wrote:
What max temps are you in CPU and GPU?

this is my recorded of FPS drop issue which is related to GPU 100% CPU usage

Issue was also discussed here since 2018

I just downgraded to 451.46 from 452.67.
For CPU the hottest core temp is 90C.

For GPU the highest temp is 82C.

You can see how my GPU clock drops from 1886 Mhz to just 139 Mhz here.

The GPU is over the temp limit.

Nissan wrote:
I just downgraded to 451.46 from 452.67.
For CPU the hottest core temp is 90C.

For GPU the highest temp is 82C.

You can see how my GPU clock drops from 1886 Mhz to just 139 Mhz here.

The GPU is over the temp limit.

you need to replace your thermal paste. it will improve your temps

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Nissan,
Have you tried to clean the fan?
Thank you.