cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System takes 2 times to start up from a cold boot. ASUS WS Z390 PRO… Please Help!

vimana_felix
Level 7
Hello!

I have a two WS Z390 PRO motherboard.

System takes 2 times to start up from a cold boot. This confuses me very much, since a RAID controller is used with HDDs ... They turn off immediately after starting.

I tried to change: 2 processors (i3, i9), 4 types of memory (1 of them includes a QVL list), 2 video cards, 3 power supplies. In various configurations.

I also changed the motherboard.

Tried BIOS versions 0701, 0805, 0903

Tried various BIOS settings. Nothing helped. :(

Hey ASUS Engineer - This is a workstation, not for overclocking. And for normal work !!!!

Question…

Whoever succeeded with this motherboard to boot the first time after a cold start?
If so with what memory, processor?
What are the BIOS settings?
8 REPLIES 8

Jesseinsf
Level 10
This usually happens when I turn off the PSU from the switch on the PSU or unplugging it from the wall. Try connecting the essentials only and turn off RAID. Just install the CPU, one Graphics card, memory (don't enable XMP) and use one NVMe (not a SATA). Don't max out the memory. Finally reboot twice because the first time will reboot when turned on for the first time after a hardware change or power loss. Does it still do the same thing.

Note: default BIOS settings are not fully optimized for Windows. For example the PCIe settings are not optimized.

Only the processor, memory and video card were left on the motherboard.

No other devices.

CLEAR_CMOS, loading default parameters, removing the battery. Without changes.

Yes, the problem is only after a unplug power cord.

vimana_felix wrote:
Only the processor, memory and video card were left on the motherboard.

No other devices.

CLEAR_CMOS, loading default parameters, removing the battery. Without changes.

Yes, the problem is only after a unplug power cord.

Thanks for responding. Anyway, The issue you are experiencing is by design and is not a defect. When you unplug it from the power and plug it back in, your motherboard most likely will see it as a power failure when booting up for the first time after plugging the power cable back in, It then reboots and enables a one-time re-assessment and detects any compatibility issues like Memory compatibility issues and other hardware compatibility issues and/or failures. This process takes a few more seconds than a normal power-up. Hope this helps.

Yes, but what about my RAID and HDD?

Power is reset while the drive is spinning up.
What are the consequences of this?
It is logical to assume that this is wrong.

Secondly, the user manuals do not say anything about such a start mode for the motherboard!
Is this a special motherboard, with a double start?

vimana_felix wrote:
Yes, but what about my RAID and HDD?

Power is reset while the drive is spinning up.
What are the consequences of this?
It is logical to assume that this is wrong.

Secondly, the user manuals do not say anything about such a start mode for the motherboard!
Is this a special motherboard, with a double start?

• Yes, over time it can damage an HDD
  • No it is not logical to assume this is wrong because Desktop PCs were not designed to have all power disconnected from it when turned off.
  • It would not be in any documentation because (again) Desktop PCs were not designed to have all power disconnected from them when turning them off.
  • Lastly, The motherboard battery lifespan is much shorter when there is no constant power supplied to the motherboard.

I'm sorry to hear that 😞
Serious flaw that ASUS could have warned buyers about.

My process involves periodic turning off the power. A workstation is not a server; power outages are natural for it.
ASUS could take such a flaw into account in future BIOS updates.
I think it's not a hardware problem.

I don't think it's a special motherboard. I was just researching why my Asus ROG phone 5s does a double start as well and all I've seen is multiple motherboards with the same "issue". I'm starting to think that it's an Asus "feature".

Jesseinsf wrote:
Thanks for responding. Anyway, The issue you are experiencing is by design and is not a defect. When you unplug it from the power and plug it back in, your motherboard most likely will see it as a power failure when booting up for the first time after plugging the power cable back in, It then reboots and enables a one-time re-assessment and detects any compatibility issues like Memory compatibility issues and other hardware compatibility issues and/or failures. This process takes a few more seconds than a normal power-up. Hope this helps.

I know this is been a long time since this thread was started but I want to elaborate on the situation that I have that is similar to this with one with one additional issue, when I cold boot, the usual power on/off a couple times then CMOS reset then boots to safe mode. I do not think this is normal if you have made changes in the Bios you should not have to load your saved profile each time from a cold boot. Cold boot meaning if I turn off the power supply power switch or unplug it. Other than that this board performs well, warm boot, restart, sleeps/wakes without any CMOS resets. The battery is Duracell at 3.2 volts according to my meter. Power supply is good and using Crucial Ballistics 64Gb kit is the exact model in the QVL list for the Asus ROG strix Z390-E.

I will have to just try different memory and report back.

[Solved]
This is normal behavior and normally most people do not connect their PC to HDMI TV monitor they usually connect to a LCD monitor instead well the behavior was due to the TV HDMI providing power to the motherboard after the motherboard was turned off simulating a power outage when removing the power cord. If I remove the HDMI connector waited a little bit then turned off the power switch of the power supply or pulled the power cord I would have no issues booting to safe mode or resetting of the CMOS.