cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Gen MoBo To Support 4th Gen Threadripper

shadragon
Level 7
Time for a new system.

I'm going to be picking up a 4th Threadripper on release and building a new top end VR gaming workstation coupled with one of the new Ampere NVIDIA cards. AMD is releasing the new cpu's at some point in late 2020, but I've not heard anything about any new Extreme MoBo's that support 4th gen TR.

Any ETA on ROG Zenith III Extreme / Alpha and specs. Any idea when to expect them on the market?

Cheers.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Shadragon

Accept no imitation.
2 REPLIES 2

enyceedanny
Level 10
It will be ridiculous if a new socket such as TRX40 doesn't support at least a couple of generations. They'll still likely release an updated board with more features and whatnot, but I'm almost sure the current boards will support it.

And no word at all on the upcoming boards. Once AMD releases some news on the upcoming threadrippers, I'm sure you'll hear more about the boards as well.

enyceedanny wrote:
but I'm almost sure the current boards will support it.

I'm with you, but before I drop a couple of thousand on a new TR CPU (I pay 25% duty on it as well) I want to be 100% sure the MoBo will support all of the new functionality.

Ampere is out in a few days so not long, but hard to not plan purchases due to lack of info.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Shadragon

Accept no imitation.