cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 1602 Update Problem

ameade
Level 7
I just did an upgrade to the 1602 BIOS and when it came back up, the machine won't boot to my M.2_2 Drive. I figure there must just be some BIOS setting that I can't remember, but I can't seem to find anything that will bring this machine back up to Windows instead of the BIOS Setup.

Can anyone refresh my memory of what that could be? I can see the drive in the BIOS.

Thank you so much!
5 REPLIES 5

xyzbird
Level 8
Upgrading Bios sets everything to default - check Advanced Mode > Boot > Boot Option Priorities. Point #1 to your drive (assuming Windows is on there).

ameade
Level 7
Thank you so much for the response. Yes, Windows is (or was) on that drive. I must have instinctively done that. Option #1 lists as Windows Boot Manager (M.2_2 WDS Drive). Option #2 shows as M.2_2 (with CSM compatibility on). Perplexing situation, I'm willing to bet I can rebuild Windows and it will be fine, but that seems to imply that I can't update the BIOS, and that seems a bit odd.

ameade wrote:
Thank you so much for the response. Yes, Windows is (or was) on that drive. I must have instinctively done that. Option #1 lists as Windows Boot Manager (M.2_2 WDS Drive). Option #2 shows as M.2_2 (with CSM compatibility on). Perplexing situation, I'm willing to bet I can rebuild Windows and it will be fine, but that seems to imply that I can't update the BIOS, and that seems a bit odd.

Make sure you turn off CSM compatibility before reformatting.

Here is the procedure for install of windows on NVMe drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVMe drive as it has its own NVMe driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVMe drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the installation.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

ameade
Level 7
Thank you everyone!

So here's what's happened, when the machine came up again the error it threw was a CPU Fan Error. For some reason, I seemed to have overlooked that (yet is was stuck somewhere in my head). I had to go in and disable CPU Fan monitoring, and everything came back up, as normal. My bad for thinking it was the M.2 drive. I'm sure that was a setting i had changed almost a year ago when building this machine.

RedSector73: Thank you so much for the instructions on the install. I think I found something very similar when building this machine, but I'm copying it to my Build Notebook as a great reference!