cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help downgrading bios Crosshair VIII 2103.

Scottx125
Level 7
Hi, so I've been potentially having problems with my bios (PPT won't go above 142W, Asus has been 'working' on it but for nearly 2 months... So I'm going to see if it is a bios issue by downgrading). However I've not had much success with downgrading. I've gone over numerous posts about downgrading. One method where you change the .CAP files to .ROM and flash through a shell but I had problems with that where only 1 file would show up on the UEFI USB when there were 8. Then I tried doing the flashback method after reformatting the USB drive, putting the renamed bios file on with nothing else and then shutting down the computer, inserting the USB into the rear bios USB port and pressing the flashback button for 3 seconds. However it just stays a solid green colour. So I'm not sure what to do at this point...

I'm trying to downgrade from bios version 2103 to 1302.
13 REPLIES 13

Super_Gnome
Level 11
The "CAP" part may or may not need to be added by you. It depends--that is, some system setups automatically add that part. Second, format your USB stick to default (it should match what it says in your manual if there is anything about it there).

Also, there are two ways to do it from a USB stick. One is via the Bios, using the EZ update feature, under "Tools." The second is using the special Bios USB flashback port, if your motherboard has one.

The USB stick needs to be formatted FAT32 ideally less than 8gb stick.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568

I've already formatted the USB to FAT32 and tried the default format type already. Also the bios EZ flash method doesn't work for downgrading. However as far as I know the USB Flashback method does work for downgrading. The file type of the bios is also renamed correctly and is a .CAP file.

Scottx125 wrote:
I've already formatted the USB to FAT32 and tried the default format type already. Also the bios EZ flash method doesn't work for downgrading. However as far as I know the USB Flashback method does work for downgrading. The file type of the bios is also renamed correctly and is a .CAP file.

Well flashback does work on my motherboard, a CH8 wifi to downgrade or upgrade.
Make sure you have downloaded the right file for your motherboard in the first place.

RedSector73 wrote:
Well flashback does work on my motherboard, a CH8 wifi to downgrade or upgrade.
Make sure you have downloaded the right file for your motherboard in the first place.

Yep I've double checked. It definitely is the correct bios for my motherboard. I have the non-wifi version. Is it possible some part of the bios is corrupt causing these issues? Including my CPU PPT issues?

Scottx125 wrote:
Yep I've double checked. It definitely is the correct bios for my motherboard. I have the non-wifi version. Is it possible some part of the bios is corrupt causing these issues? Including my CPU PPT issues?

Try using WinRAR to unpack the files.

BIOS flashback is able to flash even corrupted BIOS. (I know this from experience many years ago when I had power out during BIOS flash)
The next step (guessing here) would be to remove CPU and ram and then flashback BIOS.

However, you might want to get ticket support or the moderators here to confirm your options first. You have reached the limits of my knowledge about this specific subject.

rapidfire8
Level 7
I had the same issue - my solution was to update bios to 2206 and then flashback to 1302. Worked for me! With the exception of 1302 - I have to either set my infinity clock to 1600mz or less to boot or reduce ram to 3200 - my ram is NEO 3600 16 G Skill. If infinity fabric is left on auto it also wont boot FYI. Just poor bios updates - strange how they got it right in 1302 and managed to screwed it up in previous and subsequent!

Ok, something really weird happened. So I tried a few more times and nothing worked. Turned on my computer and for some reason the PPT power setting started working again 0.o... But now quick boot if enabled causes my CPU to go into permanent hibernation mode where it locks the voltage to 0.95v and all core under load is only 500mhz... Wtf.

rapidfire8 wrote:
I had the same issue - my solution was to update bios to 2206 and then flashback to 1302. Worked for me! With the exception of 1302 - I have to either set my infinity clock to 1600mz or less to boot or reduce ram to 3200 - my ram is NEO 3600 16 G Skill. If infinity fabric is left on auto it also wont boot FYI. Just poor bios updates - strange how they got it right in 1302 and managed to screwed it up in previous and subsequent!

I think I've got my current bios sort-of working again. Gonna wait till they release a new decent bios and then just upgrade to that.