cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G732LWS-XS76 Model ...losing hard-drives when more than 1 is installed....

KB1RD1
Level 8
My G732LWS-XS76 ( DS76 in US) with the 310 Bios ...... does not have the Overclocking Tab mentioned in other Threads either but there is an undervolt tab is at the very bottom but it seems to resets itself to 0 and disabled on every reboot it seems.

BUT there are however other issues with this Bios that need immediate fixes, My G732 came with the Intel 660p 1TB drive ( out of date FW on it too ) , so I purchased another ( would not of been my 1st choice , but was thinking Raid would help with performance of 660p) , and along with this new 660p I also installed my EVO 960 512GB from my old Laptop into the 3rd .m2 slot .......and this is when the BIG issue reared it's ugly head , if the computer goes to sleep or I do a normal restart via the Windows button , Drive 😧 and Drive E: disappear and the programs etc on them no longer work .....obviously.

The only cure so far is from a Cold Boot ( full power off ) to enter the Bios and F10 to resave it, and then boot into Windows. and all is well until it sleeps or I need to restart for a driver or program install or something again.

I tried rolling back to Bios 309 from June but the computer, just forced me to restart the computer and immediately reinstalled 310 again.

*** update.....looking in Event Viewer it appears the computer can't reload the Intel PCIe RST Controller Driver after Sleeping.....

The sleep settings on this Bios are very aggressive , I had already noticed that..... the computer even goes to sleep while in the middle of large Data Transfers from for example an EXT. HDDS. so it needs to be set to NEVER.

Any help would be greatly appreciated , as would a Beta Bios if available.... please move this to another Thread if needed. Thanks.

KB.

This Issue was escalated to Asus Engineering ,
and I have now been informed that the System is NOT Compatible with with Samsung EVO drives
( which is a huge surprise considering the G732LXS ( i9 model) comes with a
Samsung PM8XX NVME ( OEM EVO) and what I based my purchase on)

Their Solution was to put the two Intel 660P in Raid0 and install the OS on the Raid Volume and use the EVO for Data Only , which I don't consider a Solution, since I'd lose 2TB data if there is a drive failure and I now can't back up the OS Drive (only) to my 1TB Ext. HDD as the Volume is now 1.8 TB.

Pretty sad when a Laptop isn't compatible with one of the best NVME Drives on the Market today....

KB.
19 REPLIES 19

KB1RD1
Level 8
mhdandb wrote:
My G732LWS-XS76 ( DS76 in US) with the 310 Bios ...... does not have the Overclocking Tab mentioned in other Threads either but there is an undervolt tab is at the very bottom but it seems to resets itself to 0 and disabled on every reboot it seems.

BUT there are however other issues with this Bios that need immediate fixes, My G732 came with the Intel 660p 1TB drive ( out of date FW on it too ) , so I purchased another ( would not of been my 1st choice , but was thinking Raid would help with performance of 660p) , and along with this new 660p I also installed my EVO 960 512GB from my old Laptop into the 3rd .m2 slot .......and this is when the BIG issue reared it's ugly head , if the computer goes to sleep or I do a normal restart via the Windows button , Drive 😧 and Drive E: disappear and the programs etc on them no longer work .....obviously.

-
-
-
-

Any help would be greatly appreciated , as would a Beta Bios if available.... please move this to another Thread if needed. Thanks.

KB.

I am somewhat surprised no-one else has this Issue , and nobody from Asus has even responded about an Issue this severe though I guess maybe not many have filled all 3 .m2 ports yet ? (I have not tried with only 2 ports in use.)

The Only fix at the moment I have found is to Disable Fastboot in the Bios , the Disable Hibernate in Windows ( which auto disables Windows Fast Startup too (Hiberfil.sys) and then go through each of the Power Plans (Armoury Crate injects these into Windows when you hit the Fan Button only) and then set Sleep for the Screen and Computer to Never.

The computer never sleeps , so I have to just turn it off instead when not using it, but it reboots very quickly anyway , even with all the above disabled.

I have also discovered one other Issue , My CAD Software would crash when trying to open a 3D window if I had a 2nd Screen attached ( BenQ BL3200) , the Support Team for the CAD Company , had seen others report this and suggested removing the Nahimic Apps (SS3) or simply stopping the Nahimic Service would fix it , but not wanting to lose Sonic Studio and figuring it was likely the Sonic Radar App causing issues with 3D (sound) since the CAD App has no audio component) I removed just Sonic Radar 3 and everything is back to working normally.

It seems at least with HDMI the output is limited to 60hz , but currently don't have another HDMI cable to test with but have ordered a USB-C to Displayport adaptor as the Hz should be higher. It would of been nice to have something like that in the box instead of the essentially useless ROG Keystone,
personally I'd rather of had two more USB ports on that side instead.

KB

mhdandb wrote:
I am somewhat surprised no-one else has this Issue , and nobody from Asus has even responded about an Issue this severe though I guess maybe not many have filled all 3 .m2 ports yet ? (I have not tried with only 2 ports in use.)

The Only fix at the moment I have found is to Disable Fastboot in the Bios , the Disable Hibernate in Windows ( which auto disables Windows Fast Startup too (Hiberfil.sys) and then go through each of the Power Plans (Armoury Crate injects these into Windows when you hit the Fan Button only) and then set Sleep for the Screen and Computer to Never.

The computer never sleeps , so I have to just turn it off instead when not using it, but it reboots very quickly anyway , even with all the above disabled.

I have also discovered one other Issue , My CAD Software would crash when trying to open a 3D window if I had a 2nd Screen attached ( BenQ BL3200) , the Support Team for the CAD Company , had seen others report this and suggested removing the Nahimic Apps (SS3) or simply stopping the Nahimic Service would fix it , but not wanting to lose Sonic Studio and figuring it was likely the Sonic Radar App causing issues with 3D (sound) since the CAD App has no audio component) I removed just Sonic Radar 3 and everything is back to working normally.

It seems at least with HDMI the output is limited to 60hz , but currently don't have another HDMI cable to test with but have ordered a USB-C to Displayport adaptor as the Hz should be higher. It would of been nice to have something like that in the box instead of the essentially useless ROG Keystone,
personally I'd rather of had two more USB ports on that side instead.

KB

My new Monitor has arrived ( G34WQC ) and Displayport out with a adapter is capable of 144hz , for some reason I thought newer HDMI revisions allowed 144hz too but it seems at least for the 2070S in my Laptop 100hz is max with the new monitor.

KB

Originally Posted by Blake@ASUS View Post here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?119961-G732LWS-upgrades&p=815620#post815620

Hello mhdandb,
So you mean the second and third SSD are not detected with wake up form sleep or reboot?
This happen under both BIOS 309 and BIOS 310?
Thank you.

I can not confirm 100% that 309 had the issue as Windows 10 forced Bios 310 onto the computer almost immediately after setting Windows 10 Up , this has now happened on 2 different Units ( the 1st one was returned as there was no sound in windows and Asus Tech Support couldn't fix it )

Like Others', my Bios does not have the Overclock Tab and I also have the very low volume from the speakers issue mentioned too.

Please see my full thread here for more info :

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...148#post814148

Thanks.

mhdandb wrote:
My new Monitor has arrived ( G34WQC ) and Displayport out with a adapter is capable of 144hz , for some reason I thought newer HDMI revisions allowed 144hz too but it seems at least for the 2070S in my Laptop 100hz is max with the new monitor.

KB

Using the Thunderbolt, you only get 100MHz out?

craig_cabbage wrote:
Using the Thunderbolt, you only get 100MHz out?

The USB-C port is not Thunderbolt compatible as far as I know ? it is using USB-C Alt Mode for Displayport.

The HDMI port would only allow 100hz max but TBH I am unsure if that is a Laptop or the new Monitor's limitation.

there is no .inf for the monitor but if i use list all modes in the display adaptor adv. settings 100hz was max when hooked up with HDMI cable that came with the monitor.

do you have the G732LWS too ? cos min came with 3200mhz memory...... I saw you say you got an upgrade....

KB.

No issue here on G732LWS
currently I do not have this issue - just checked..... ( also have no reported issues with the battery or charger either)

MyAsus and Amoury Crate and Asus Framework updated themselves yesterday i think it was...

Item Version
---- -------
Armoury Crate UWP App 3.1.5.0
ROG Live Service 1.1.6.0
AURA Service (Lighting Service) 3.04.22
Armoury Crate service 3.1.5
ASUS Aac_NBDT HAL 2.4.2.0
ASUS Keyboard HAL 1.01.12
ASUS MB Peripheral Products 1.0.33
ASUS Mouse HAL 1.1.0.8
AacAudioHal 1.3.7.0
AacDispaly 1.1.25

mhdandb wrote:
The USB-C port is not Thunderbolt compatible as far as I know ? it is using USB-C Alt Mode for Displayport.

The HDMI port would only allow 100hz max but TBH I am unsure if that is a Laptop or the new Monitor's limitation.

there is no .inf for the monitor but if i use list all modes in the display adaptor adv. settings 100hz was max when hooked up with HDMI cable that came with the monitor.

do you have the G732LWS too ? cos min came with 3200mhz memory...... I saw you say you got an upgrade....

KB.

Yes, I have G732LWS.

I bought Crucial Ballistix 2x 16GB 3200MHz RAM when I got it, didn't install it right away cuz of the posts from Kisivy, but I just installed it cuz I also recently got a 2nd SSD. I installed both at the same time. Fortunately, I do not lose the 2nd drive when waking from sleep, but the RAM is showing 2667MHz now.

craig_cabbage wrote:
Yes, I have G732LWS.

I bought Crucial Ballistix 2x 16GB 3200MHz RAM when I got it, didn't install it right away cuz of the posts from Kisivy, but I just installed it cuz I also recently got a 2nd SSD. I installed both at the same time. Fortunately, I do not lose the 2nd drive when waking from sleep, but the RAM is showing 2667MHz now.

Ok , I see you went to 32GB which now makes sense to me , but with no Bios access I guess you can't set XMP etc.

Thanks for the update on the 2nd SSD , the issue maybe related to filling all 3 slots then perhaps? I have 2x intel 660p 1TB now ( was going to raid them as a DATA Drive ) and a 512GB Samsung 960 EVO for the OS. I haven't move them about to different ports as it seems only 2 of the ports are controlled by the intel PCIe controller (and needed for RAID).... it is these two ports that "dissappear" after sleep , it seems from event viewer it cannot reload the driver on waking up, requiring a "cold boot" to reactivate the Driver.

KB

@craig_cabbage

I looked again at the other Thread with you, Padriago and Kisivy , and it appears from the Pics that the Laptop would need to supply 1.35v to get that Ballistic memory to 3200mhz , which it may not be able to do ????

the 16 GB of Micron Ram that came with mine is doing 3200mhz at 1.2v ( using HWInfo64 )

KB