cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74SX HDMI 1.4 Problem

mormaii2
Level 7
Hey guys,i have an ASUS G74SX-A2 laptop with the latest Nvidia drivers (296.10(clean install)). I bought an HDMI 1.4 to try and connect my laptop to my TV (Samsung UN40D5500+Dongle). I try to detect the TV from my laptop and it doesn't work. I right click on my desktop and choose resolution, then choose detect other displays and none appear there. I also go to NVIDIA control panel and it doesn't appear there either so i choose rigorous display detection and restart my laptop and it still won't detect it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for my bad english.

Mormaii2
20 REPLIES 20

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Did you try Fn+F8 to activate the external display? If your computer is simply not detecting any display connection, I'd try a different HDMI cable.

Yes, i've tried the FN+F8 and it only says LCD, i tried pressing it several times and it still isn't recognized. Ok I'll go get another cable and see if that fixes the problem.

I already went to the store and they tried my cable and it worked fine for them 😕 any other ideas to fix this problem? :S

mormaii2 wrote:
I already went to the store and they tried my cable and it worked fine for them 😕 any other ideas to fix this problem? :S

Responded to your PM.

dstrakele
Level 14
If you cable the laptop to the TV and go into "Control Panel - Display - Connect to a projector" and click on some of the choices, does it recognize the external display?

Can you connect your laptop to a different TV or external monitor?

Does another computer connect successfully to your Samsung TV?

Take a look at @Bay Wolf's post in this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19428590/20018458.aspx
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
If you cable the laptop to the TV and go into "Control Panel - Display - Connect to a projector" and click on some of the choices, does it recognize the external display?

Can you connect your laptop to a different TV or external monitor?

Does another computer connect successfully to your Samsung TV?

I went to the connect to a projector options and tried all of them and none of the choices recognize the display.

I haven't tried doing that yet since i only have my laptop and my TV.

I haven't tried that one either since i don't have another computer.

dstrakele
Level 14
Make sure you've chosen an HDMI-only port on your TV and not DVI/HDMI.

Reboot your system after making the connection.

Bring your laptop with you to the store where you purchased the cable and connect to one of their TV's.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Make sure you've chosen an HDMI-only port on your TV and not DVI/HDMI.

Reboot your system after making the connection.

Bring your laptop with you to the store where you purchased the cable and connect to one of their TV's.

I've connected it to an HDMI only port and not DVI/HDMI

I chose rigorous display detection and rebooted after making the connection. I chose connect to a projector and extended display. Now i'm getting this option on the nVidia control panel, i don't know what that means.

another idea you could try, is go to asus' website and download their display drivers for the machine. I remember back when i had my g60jx, i could only get the vga and hdmi output to work if i was running on the drivers that asus put out. Its just a suggestion that might narrow down what the underlying issue may be.