cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Hero 7 - Acceptable boot time ?

Madien
Level 7
Hi !
I have just built a new PC to replace a ten years old intel i5, based on Crosshair hero 7 (with last firmware) and Ryzen 3700X

Boot time (up to the "bip") is around 20 - 25 seconds.
I have seen some old posts from 2018 on the forum dealing with this, stating that it will be solved by future firmwares.

Shall I worry about this duration or can it be considered as normal ?
Is there any parameters setup that could reduce this duration ?

Thanks a lot for your help !
Madien
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
3700x on X370 board, Samsung 970 Evo NVMe - 18 seconds w/Windows & typical load out. 15 seconds w/ base windows install to boot
3600 on B450, Kingston A2000 NVMe 500gb, Same....
3900x on X570, Adata SX8200PNP NVMe 1tb, Same...

Thank for your answer. So I understand that my PC's boot time is a little to long.

Any idea or recommandation on the boot setup ?

Thanks again
Madien

Without your full system specification I cannot comment on what is normal or not.
Anyway, here is the procedure for install of Windows 10 on NVMe drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVMe drive as it has its own NVMe driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVMe drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the installation.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

Hope you find this helpful.

Many thanks RedSector73 for your help, I really appreciate.

I have tried to disable CSM, unfortunately my GC is too old (Geforce 770) and the bios automatically reactivates CSM after restart...
So I am stuck until I change my GC ...
Madien

Edit : I'm trying to find a way to flash my GC bios with an UEFI bios ...