cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XII Extreme can't resume from S3 after overclocking RAM to 4400+

Swordmaster512
Level 7
Hi everyone. Hope I'm not posting in the wrong section.
I've got a Maximus XII Extreme (BIOS 0098) paired with a 10900K. RAM is G.Skill Trident Z Royal F4-4800C18D-16GTRS. I'm having issues resuming from sleep mode with Windows 10 2004. Leaving aside the fact that even with everything at stock S3 doesn't work properly, since most of the time system resumes immediately after entering the state (I guess all of this could be OS related), the real problem happens when I overclock the RAM (i.e. leaving CPU and everything else at stock). Up to 4300 MHz system succesfully resumes showing Windows login screen, but from 4400 on it just hangs with a black screen, only to reboot after a while and enter Windows as after a cold boot. Event viewer indicates that a crash occurred, specifically with code 0x133 as shown by bluescreenview.
This happens either with Manual, XMP1 or XMP2 selected in BIOS and either leaving timings on Auto or setting them manually. Same story for DRAM Voltage, VCCIO and VCCSA. Of course RAM has been tested for stabilty at 4400 with Karhu Ram Test, Testmem5 and HCI Memtest, so I don't think it's a stability issue. Moreover, I never had this problem with my previous board, Maximus XI Apex, and back then I used the same RAM I have today.
Can someone with a Maximus XII board and overclocked RAM check if that is a general issue? Or maybe some ASUS tech guy in the forum could verify this for me? Thanks in advance.

EDIT After a clean install of Windows and a BIOS re-flash I could at least eliminate the immediate awakening from S3 at stock. However, the issue of black screen after resuming with overclocked RAM persists, as before ONLY from 4400MHz on. In addition to the crash and reboot scenario with error 0x133 described earlier I've noticed that another one is possible: after a while system finally resumes showing WIndows login screen and Event Viewer indicates that a corrected error has happened. HWInfo WHEA counter reports a "machine chek error amd64nb". I contacted ASUS tech support, but if someone in the meantime could share his experience with this it would be appreciated as well as unexpected.
1 REPLY 1

Swordmaster512
Level 7
It looks like both the issues are related to the installation of Chipset and Management Interface drivers. The former occasionally causes immediate awakening from S3, the latter the black screen after overclocking to 4400+. I've already tried to update (CS)ME, PMC, PCHC firmware of my board to latest available version (Intel CSME v14.0.39.1367, Intel PMC v140.2.01.1011 and Intel PCHC v14.0.0.1002), as well as using Chipset and ME drivers downloaded from ROG forum instead of those taken from motherboard page. Nothing changed. The problem of the black screen occurs both in Windows 10 2004 and 1909. Could it be an incompatibility with Z490 Maximus boards? Do I really need Management Interface driver or can I disable/uninstall it without worrying too much?

EDIT At least the immediate awakening that occurred occasionally seems to be definitley solved. I was dumb because I had carelessly connected my USB 2.0 keyboard and mouse to 3.2 Gen. 1 rear ports. After switching the devices to the rear 2.0 ports PC doesn't resumes immediately after entering S3 (at least for now). Still, black screen resuming from s3 issue persists with RAM overclocked to 4400+, so for the moment I'm keeping Managemen Interface disabled as a workaround.