cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG RYUJIN 360 fan PWM & Armoury Crate

Samdalf
Level 7
Hi, I hope I am in the right place. First build here and this has been driving me nuts. I noticed that the fans don't spin below 40% PWM setting in armoury crate.

I have the ROG RYUJIN 360 connected to the AIO pump header with the fans connected to the AIO pump fan connector. SATA and usb 2.0 are also connected and everything works just about perfect. However, I noticed that the fans don't start spinning unless the PWM% is at least 40% in armoury crate. As of right now I changed the default smart mode setting of 30% PWM/30C to 40%/30C so there is some fan action going on.

Is this normal or is there something I am missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Samdalf wrote:
Hi, I hope I am in the right place. First build here and this has been driving me nuts. I noticed that the fans don't spin below 40% PWM setting in armoury crate.

I have the ROG RYUJIN 360 connected to the AIO pump header with the fans connected to the AIO pump fan connector.

I noticed that the fans don't start spinning unless the PWM% is at least 40% in armoury crate. As of right now I changed the default smart mode setting of 30% PWM/30C to 40%/30C so there is some fan action going on.

Is this normal or is there something I am missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What is your motherboard? Mine has no AOI header, so I have it connected to the CPU header but your set up is fine. I have rid my system of Armoury Crate with a Windows reinstall. Hence, my fan control is from the Bios. I have left the CPU fan set to automatic and all works fine. My fans spin perfectly, and I monitor my temperatures using HWMonitor to be sure the CPU cores are cruising at the right and healthy temperatures at all times.

Have you downloaded the firmware (update)? Here is a link:

https://www.asus.com/Cooling/ROG-RYUJIN-360/HelpDesk_Download/

Hopefully this helps.

Just on an aside, if I remember correctly the fans did not spin all the time the first hour or so after I built my rig, but later they worked fine. If your motherboard is an Asus one, perhaps Fan Xpert in AI Suite ii will remedy your trouble.

Edit 2: I would add though that software like AI Suite ii may be fine but in my experience is often the source of future headaches--sometimes big ones, so I avoid it whenever possible.

Super Gnome wrote:
What is your motherboard? Mine has no AOI header, so I have it connected to the CPU header but your set up is fine. I have rid my system of Armoury Crate with a Windows reinstall. Hence, my fan control is from the Bios. I have left the CPU fan set to automatic and all works fine. My fans spin perfectly, and I monitor my temperatures using HWMonitor to be sure the CPU cores are cruising at the right and healthy temperatures at all times.

Have you downloaded the firmware (update)? Here is a link:

https://www.asus.com/Cooling/ROG-RYUJIN-360/HelpDesk_Download/

Hopefully this helps.

Just on an aside, if I remember correctly the fans did not spin all the time the first hour or so after I built my rig, but later they worked fine. If your motherboard is an Asus one, perhaps Fan Xpert in AI Suite ii will remedy your trouble.

Thank you for the detailed reply! Looks like I have some research to do. I have the ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA. All firmware is up do date. Armoury Crate definitely is buggy to say the least. As of right now the fans seem to be working as long as they are not set lower than 40%. At this point I'm just assuming they aren't capable of spinning lower than 870 rpm, but I could be wrong. I also seem to be running into those common XML errors as a lot of other users have reported. Looks like I am able to bypass them as long as I open up Armoury Crate as soon as my system boots up. It would be nice to move away from that software if there are better alternatives. Being that I have an Asus motherboard, should I have been using fan Xpert from the start?

Samdalf wrote:
should I have been using fan Xpert from the start?

Honestly, and I am on my third Asus build and all three of my builds are still working well--in my experience, you don't need any Asus software at all (except for the BIos). Software like Armoury Crate, Live Dash, and even AI Suite II just end up giving you headaches in the long run, and if the BIos is working properly you dont need any of it. Asus hardware is first rate, but the software is garbage (mind you I do like Tweak II). Regarding the Ryujin, I was initially very happy that it could display the CPU temperature, but the truth is that the CPU temperature it displays is actually from probe behind the CPU--and hence, it is not even the CPU at all. So what is the use of that display anyhow? It is simply cosmetic.

With my Rampage Six Extreme Omega (like with a Rampage III Black Edition) I run NO Asus software. The fans can be controlled via the Bios--and you can tweak them easy mode that way. As for control of the Ryujin, I have downloaded the firmware and simply let it do its thing and am having no problems at all. As for monitoring, I run HWMonitor whenever my rigs are running, and I eyeball everything regularly to be sure nothing is amiss.

Good luck.

AI Suite X-Fan xpert conflicts with armor crate on controling RYUJIN fans so i didnt install AI Suite, but use Armour to control FAN Speeds with same settings like in BIOS, need AC to keep RYUJIN VRM Fan under control, no other software or bios can control that.
Depending on mobo you can get real CPU temp; on mine i can select CPU package temp which is highest die temperature and its the same temp mobo displays on its 2 digit display or HWinfo.

alexmihaila wrote:
need AC to keep RYUJIN VRM Fan under control, no other software or bios can control that.

Albeit my CPU and motherboard are different (not to mention having a mesh front on my case, Noctua industrial grade fans and turbo graphics cards which push the heat out the back of the case vs dumping it directly into the case), my CPU package and core temperatures never get above sixty C, and my Ryujin vrm fan is quiet--and this is running World of Warcraft nonstop for hours at 4k at 50 FPS. I don't turn the air conditioner on at all and the ambient temperature in the daytime here has been in the range of 30 to 34 C from morning to evening hours for weeks. This is all with the above described set up--that is, only controlling the case fans in the Bios and not touching any Ryujin settings whatsoever.

Again, good luck.

No game could load both CPU and GPU to 100% at the same time like Boinc distributed computing or Folding at Home are doing on mine; ie more than 500W power need to be exhausted from case all the time computer is running; so understandable, VRM AIO fan never move from default on your computer'...
Also Armour Crate is controling my RGB lightning so its ok when it works (most of the time). Just dont need to install other ASUS software (AI Suite) because it will conflict with AC and BIOS.

alexmihaila wrote:
AI Suite X-Fan xpert conflicts with armor crate on controling RYUJIN fans so i didnt install AI Suite, but use Armour to control FAN Speeds with same settings like in BIOS, need AC to keep RYUJIN VRM Fan under control, no other software or bios can control that.
Depending on mobo you can get real CPU temp; on mine i can select CPU package temp which is highest die temperature and its the same temp mobo displays on its 2 digit display or HWinfo.

Good to know, thank you. Despite its flaws, Armoury Crate has been working well for me so far. Though, I shamefully admit to keeping a flashlight by my mouse and checking periodically (every 2 minutes) to see if the fans are still spinning (they are). Still curious why they don't spin under 40% PWM given it's enabled by default. Has that been the case for you?

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Not sure if this helps, but you can uninstall Asus software, like AI Suite or Armoury Crate, etc, but it is actually still there--like some kind of cancer even when you do that, and it can even still be active (Ikr, omg). In my experience all of that software only makes for future problems. If you really want to use it for whatever reason, great, but if you want to remove all or some of it (I've removed it all, could not care less about RGB, and am happy the headaches are gone now), unfortunately the only real way to do it is by reinstalling Windows. Now that I've rid my system of all of that "wonderful software" my Ryujin is working fine without me having made any adjustments in the Bios except for settings for the case fans (not the Ryujin fans). Good luck.

Gushy
Level 7
Armory Crate does not work well with AI Suite 3.
My ROG RYUJIN 240 change coolers speed up and down every 5-10 seconds very annoying.
After uninstall AI Suite 3 everything back to normal.
Fan presets work with no change of RPM every 5-10 seconds.

So either Armory crate or Ai Suite 3. can't be both for now.
IF in future Asus fix this issue i will install AI Suite 3 again. It's a great tool.