cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash problem with Asus rog GL752VW

david1983
Level 7
Hello,

Since a month, I have some problems with my laptop. Its crashing randomly (sometimes with a crackling noise). It happens most of the time when I am playing games, but can happen at other times too. When it crashes and I try to restart the computer, the computer does run but all I see is a black screen. I found only 2 ways to recover from those crashes: wait for the battery to empty and restart it with the AC adapter or remove the battery and replace it (but I need to open the laptop). I took the laptop to a computer shop and he found nothing I asked him to replace my HDD by a SSD, but I still have the crashing issues. Here are some facts or things that I tried:

- There is no temperature problems when it happens;
- All the drivers and BIOS are up to date;
- When it crashes and I have a black screen, nothing happens when I try to use another screen;
- I see that the NVIDIA GTX960m is running around 95% when some games are on.

Thanks for you help!

David
11 REPLIES 11

Dazechan
Level 7
david1983 wrote:
Hello,

Since a month, I have some problems with my laptop. Its crashing randomly (sometimes with a crackling noise). It happens most of the time when I am playing games, but can happen at other times too. When it crashes and I try to restart the computer, the computer does run but all I see is a black screen. I found only 2 ways to recover from those crashes: wait for the battery to empty and restart it with the AC adapter or remove the battery and replace it (but I need to open the laptop). I took the laptop to a computer shop and he found nothing I asked him to replace my HDD by a SSD, but I still have the crashing issues. Here are some facts or things that I tried:

- There is no temperature problems when it happens;
- All the drivers and BIOS are up to date;
- When it crashes and I have a black screen, nothing happens when I try to use another screen;
- I see that the NVIDIA GTX960m is running around 95% when some games are on.

Thanks for you help!

David

Hey buddy , please let me know the following things :

Windows Version (exact OS Build)

nVidia and Intel GPU Drivers Version

Also , one more thing , what happens if you try to manually shut down the laptop by clicking the power button?

When the laptop crashes , does the screen appear distorted(with artifacts) or it just turns completely black?

Dazechan wrote:
Hey buddy , please let me know the following things :

Windows Version (exact OS Build)

nVidia and Intel GPU Drivers Version

Also , one more thing , what happens if you try to manually shut down the laptop by clicking the power button?

When the laptop crashes , does the screen appear distorted(with artifacts) or it just turns completely black?

Thanks for your reply.

Here are the specs:

Windows 10 pro version 1909 (18363.1082)
Geforce GTX 960M
Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.6ghz

If I try to manually shut down the laptop, its shutting down but if I take my finger off the power button, it restarts. It runs, but I have no image on the screen and nothing if I try it on an other screen.

When the laptop crashes, the screen sometimes appears distorted but only at a few spots and only for 2 or 3 seconds and then its all black.

david1983 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

Here are the specs:

Windows 10 pro version 1909 (18363.1082)
Geforce GTX 960M
Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.6ghz

If I try to manually shut down the laptop, its shutting down but if I take my finger off the power button, it restarts. It runs, but I have no image on the screen and nothing if I try it on an other screen.

When the laptop crashes, the screen sometimes appears distorted but only at a few spots and only for 2 or 3 seconds and then its all black.

Understood.

Let me know if the crashes you get look something similar to this -> https://imgur.com/a/tErV5mw (this is how my screen was looking while I was facing a similar issue)

Confirm if they look similar or not and I will explain how to get it fixed. (mine was a Windows Issue , an update messed it up and an update fixed it)

Dazechan wrote:
Understood.

Let me know if the crashes you get look something similar to this -> https://imgur.com/a/tErV5mw (this is how my screen was looking while I was facing a similar issue)

Confirm if they look similar or not and I will explain how to get it fixed. (mine was a Windows Issue , an update messed it up and an update fixed it)

No its mostly black. Yesterday it crashed with a continuous crackling noise. Its just freezing to a black screen with this noise but it wont shut down. When I manually shut it down, it restarts right away. After that, I am not able to shut it down and its running but with a black screen. It crashed when a game was on. The temperature was around 85-86. If it can help, the noise was like a "takakakakakakakakakaka"...

david1983 wrote:
No its mostly black. Yesterday it crashed with a continuous crackling noise. Its just freezing to a black screen with this noise but it wont shut down. When I manually shut it down, it restarts right away. After that, I am not able to shut it down and its running but with a black screen. It crashed when a game was on. The temperature was around 85-86. If it can help, the noise was like a "takakakakakakakakakaka"...

Got it.

Clarify one thing for me please , did the crash start to occur after a Windows Update/Driver Update?

I need you to tell me your nVidia and Intel Graphic Card Drivers EXACT version.

Dazechan wrote:
Got it.

Clarify one thing for me please , did the crash start to occur after a Windows Update/Driver Update?

I need you to tell me your nVidia and Intel Graphic Card Drivers EXACT version.

Yep, I did a few updates before it happened.

GEforce GTX 960M version 452.06 (graph pilot: 27.21.14.5206)
IntelR HD graphic 530. Shader version 5.1...vulkan 1.2.148

Is the infos that you need ?

Do you think I should uninstall something ? If yes, how ?

david1983 wrote:
Yep, I did a few updates before it happened.

GEforce GTX 960M version 452.06 (graph pilot: 27.21.14.5206)
IntelR HD graphic 530. Shader version 5.1...vulkan 1.2.148

Is the infos that you need ?

Do you think I should uninstall something ? If yes, how ?

Ok listen , let's try to install the drivers that ASUS is providing (I know they're old but they're stable , I see you're using one of the latest drivers from nVidia which basically is like looking for trouble , not saying that it's the cause of the issue but it might be)

So , first of all download DDU ( https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

Download the nVidia and Intel GPU Drivers provided by Asus here -> https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL752VW/HelpDesk_Download/

*Boot in Safe Mode

*Run DDU and Uninstall the Intel GPU Drivers and restart (clean drivers and restart is the name of the option)

*Boot in Normal Mode

*Install the INTEL GPU drivers that you downloaded from Asus

*Boot in Safe Mode

*Uninstall the nVidia Drivers and restart

*Boot in Normal Mode

*Install the NVIDIA GPU drivers that you downloaded from Asus

Test the system and let me know if the issue persists.

(Try to remember if the issue happened after a Windows Update , IF YES, before doing what I told you regarding the GPU Drivers please go on and install the latest Windows Update Build 19041.508)

Dazechan wrote:
Ok listen , let's try to install the drivers that ASUS is providing (I know they're old but they're stable , I see you're using one of the latest drivers from nVidia which basically is like looking for trouble , not saying that it's the cause of the issue but it might be)

So , first of all download DDU ( https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

Download the nVidia and Intel GPU Drivers provided by Asus here -> https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL752VW/HelpDesk_Download/

*Boot in Safe Mode

*Run DDU and Uninstall the Intel GPU Drivers and restart (clean drivers and restart is the name of the option)

*Boot in Normal Mode

*Install the INTEL GPU drivers that you downloaded from Asus

*Boot in Safe Mode

*Uninstall the nVidia Drivers and restart

*Boot in Normal Mode

*Install the NVIDIA GPU drivers that you downloaded from Asus

Test the system and let me know if the issue persists.

(Try to remember if the issue happened after a Windows Update , IF YES, before doing what I told you regarding the GPU Drivers please go on and install the latest Windows Update Build 19041.508)

I dont think it happened after a windows update.

Did all that this morning and the issue resumed after 5 minutes.

david1983 wrote:
I dont think it happened after a windows update.

Did all that this morning and the issue resumed after 5 minutes.

I would strongly recommend trying the latest windows build but that's up to you.

Do me a favor , download HwInfo64 from here -> https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ , run it (select "Sensors Only" option) and let it running in the background.

Download https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark , install and run "Firestrike Demo", (select "Compare results online once the test is done and post the link here) when the demo is completed , take several screenshots from all the values on HWINFO64 and upload them.

*Make sure you've selected the "High Performance" power management mode under nVidia control panel 3D settings and that ALL the power-saving options of your notebook are turned off

[IF the crash occurs while you're running the benchmark please go to "Services.msc" and disable Nahimic Service and try again. (if you have it , if you don't just ignore this step) ]