Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Phoenix 1050Ti
    Power SupplyCorsair CX650M
    Keyboard Logitech G510
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Question New PC keeps hard freezing

Hi everyone,

I put together a PC about 1 month ago and from the beginning random hard freezes occur (meaning the screen just freezes at the last frame and I have to shut the PC down via pressing the power button and buzzing sounds coming from the speakers). Pressing Caps Lock doesn't do anything on the keyboard, so the computer really doesn't respond to anything besides shutting down. I had it run for 1 hour after freezing once to see if anything further happened, but the freeze continued.
    These freezes occur randomly, sometimes there a no freezes for a couple of days and then it suddenly freezes twice in a row. Also I had freezes while in idle, during gaming, after booting up in the Windows Login screen and while booting in the frame with the spinning circles (this one happened directly after a freeze, when I tried to boot it after the force shutdown).

The system:

Windows 10 Pro
    intel i5-10600KASUS
    ROG STRIX Z490G-WiFi
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB)
    DDR4 3200MHz
    ASUS PH-GTX1050Ti-4G (taken from previos computer)
    Crucial MX500 1TB SSD
    Corsair CX650M Power Supply

I tried lots of troubleshooting, including stress tests without any success. I first suspected the RAM but couldn't really find any fix, tried adjusting BIOS settings (3200MHz and 1.35V as stated on support page) and one RAM stick at a time in different slots but always got freezes. Actually the freezes seemed to be more frequent when I only used one RAM stick (5-30min directly in a row, mostly the freezes occur every 3 days) but I guess that could just be bad luck.

After all this and more freezes I did a clean reinstall of Windows 4 days ago (thus reverting some of the troubleshooting I mentioned above), this time connecting a CD drive to get the drivers from the mainboard's CD instead of downloading them, suspecting I messed something up with the downloaded drivers. Went well for 4 days until it froze this morning when in a call on Teams in the browser (currently the MOBO drivers are still from the CD, I plan to download the newest later today but don't really see this fixing the freezes).

I'm kind of at my wits end here and am running out of ways to try and fix this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

New ROGer Array Wangeyed PC Specs
    Wangeyed PC Specs
    MotherboardROG STRIX Z390-F
    Processori5 9600K
    Graphics Card #11080 ti

do you have ai overclock enabled? turn it off if so and try that, update bios to latest ver or reset. if still freeze then download all drivers from support page and put on a usb then do a windows reinstall with fresh upto date drivers, still having issues reseat all parts/cables. if all that fails then could be a usb device or dodgy component
    good luck

New ROGer Array LiljaFX PC Specs
    LiljaFX PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix Z490-G WiFi
    Processori5 10600K
    Keyboard Logitech G510
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wangeyed View Post
    do you have ai overclock enabled? turn it off if so and try that, update bios to latest ver or reset. if still freeze then download all drivers from support page and put on a usb then do a windows reinstall with fresh upto date drivers, still having issues reseat all parts/cables. if all that fails then could be a usb device or dodgy component
    good luck
    Thanks for the answer! Ai overclock is enabled atm but it wasn't in the beginning - I will look into the settings again. BIOS is up-to-date. I initially had all drivers from the support page on my first install but I guess I will try again. I really hope it's not some hardware error because I have no compatible alternatives lying around to just exchange and see if the freezes disappear :/

Wangeyed PC Specs
    Processori5 9600K
    Graphics Card #11080 ti

also the drivers you install from asus are usually blocked
    https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-unbl...in-windows-10/
    or use the drivers on this forum which are more upto date

LiljaFX PC Specs
    Processori5 10600K
    Keyboard Logitech G510
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wangeyed View Post
    also the drivers you install from asus are usually blocked
    https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-unbl...in-windows-10/
    or use the drivers on this forum which are more upto date
    Alright, I didn't have a message saying they were blocked but I will doublecheck.
    Would I take the drivers from here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ftware-Threads ?

Wangeyed PC Specs
    Processori5 9600K
    Graphics Card #11080 ti

yes thats the ones

ROG Enthusiast Array RoGHoliday PC Specs
    RoGHoliday PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Hero XI
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)GSkill DDR4 3200
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080ti
    MonitorAcer Z35P
    CPU CoolerCorair h150i Pro
    CaseCooler Master H500M
    Power SupplySeasonic 1050 X Series
    Keyboard ROG Strix Scope
    Mouse Glorious Model O -
    Headset Marshal Earbuds
    Mouse Pad Corsair
    Headset/Speakers Cheapies
    OS Windows 10

Assuming your power supply isn't the problem and you have updated to the latest UEFI version, It could be a short between the motherboard and your case. If you're up for it take it apart, loosen all the motherboard screws, give the board a wiggle (or better: remove it completely to check for anything behind it that could cause contact) and then tighten down the screws again. If you really want to know, remove the MB from the case all together and set it up on your desk, just place it on the box it came in or some other non conductive material and try that.
    Last edited by RoGHoliday; 09-12-2020 at 03:57 PM.

LiljaFX PC Specs
    Processori5 10600K
    Keyboard Logitech G510
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Well I just had the first freeze again after it running with no problems since saturday morning when I updated the drivers

Quote Originally Posted by RoGHoliday View Post
    Assuming your power supply isn't the problem and you have updated to the latest UEFI version, It could be a short between the motherboard and your case. If you're up for it take it apart, loosen all the motherboard screws, give the board a wiggle (or better: remove it completely to check for anything behind it that could cause contact) and then tighten down the screws again. If you really want to know, remove the MB from the case all together and set it up on your desk, just place it on the box it came in or some other non conductive material and try that.
    I guess that would be worth a try, thanks!
    When it froze just now I had a look at the MB and saw that the lighted ROG logo still changed colours. The Ethernet port also still blinked and when I removed the LAN cable it stopped blinking, when I plugged it back in it lit up again. So I guess the MB was still responsive, does that rule out the eventuality of a short between MB and case?
    As a side note: When I had the freezes the first weeks and had not reinstalled Windows the MB did not change the colours of the RGB logo anymore when a freeze happened so if I saw the MB didn't change the logos colour anymore 'Damn it froze again". After I reinstalled Windows it suddenly changed that behaviour so that the MB now continues changing the logo colour when a freezes happens. Had me really baffled the first times and I'm wondering why this is the case.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array XYchromosone PC Specs
    XYchromosone PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximux XI Extreme [BIOS 1602]
    Processori9 9900KS
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB CL17 3600MHz 32GB [4x8]
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix Gaming GTX 1080Ti 11GB
    MonitorAOC AGON AG271QG 27" 144Hz [165Hz OC]
    Storage #12 X Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD [DIMM.2_1+ DIMM.2_2]
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB SATA 3
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Floe Riing 360 Premium AIO
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard RAZER Blackwidow X Tournament Chroma
    Mouse RAZER Lancehead [ambidextrous] Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser RS165 Wireless
    Headset/Speakers Sennheiser CX 100 inner ear headphones
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 + Ubuntu Studio 20.04
    Network RouterASUS DSL-AC68U

I doubt this is the problem but since you said that after you reinstalled Windows the behaviour of the mobo lights changed when it froze, maybe your windows installation media has a corrupt file[s]. I would redownload Windows 10 to rule that out before reinstalling Windows 10. Another option is to run a Live Ubuntu on a bootable USB stick to see if it crashes in ubuntu [ubuntu is a user friendly linux distro similar to Windows 10]. If you are not familiar with ubuntu it is very easy to run without actually installing it from a USB stick. Here is a step by step guide for creating a bootable ubuntu v20.04 [Focal Fossa] on a USB stick using a small program that runs from its exe file [no installation required] called UNetbootin.
    https://linuxconfig.org/create-a-boo...-ms-windows-10

LiljaFX PC Specs
    Processori5 10600K
    Keyboard Logitech G510
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by XYchromosone View Post
    I doubt this is the problem but since you said that after you reinstalled Windows the behaviour of the mobo lights changed when it froze, maybe your windows installation media has a corrupt file[s]. I would redownload Windows 10 to rule that out before reinstalling Windows 10. Another option is to run a Live Ubuntu on a bootable USB stick to see if it crashes in ubuntu [ubuntu is a user friendly linux distro similar to Windows 10]. If you are not familiar with ubuntu it is very easy to run without actually installing it from a USB stick. Here is a step by step guide for creating a bootable ubuntu v20.04 [Focal Fossa] on a USB stick using a small program that runs from its exe file [no installation required] called UNetbootin.
    https://linuxconfig.org/create-a-boo...-ms-windows-10
    I guess I don't get around trying this, thanks for the suggestion! My problem is that the freezes are so random and the computer is in normal use, but I guess it's a good idea to let Linux run overnight and see if it froze overnight. So if I got freezes with Linux would it mean I have a hardware problem?

Edit: I just finished the Linux USB stick and it's working (writing this from Linux!) and I will try to have Linux on as much as possible to see if any freezes happen while it's running. I will get back when I know more, thanks for everyone's help so far!
    Last edited by LiljaFX; 09-16-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast