New ROGer Array

Using the RTX 3070 with the G20CB (180 W + 230 W Power adapter)

Hey everyone! Thinking of upgrading from my GTX 1080 to the RTX 3070 after almost 4 years. I've read so far that the 3070's TDP is 220W, and I was wondering if you guys also think it's possible with the 230W power adapter of the G20CB.

I've been reading this helpful thread for months now, and I've been heavily inspired to follow in their G20 upgrade footsteps with the CPU and GPU.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by coldsilver_2020; 09-11-2020 at 08:13 AM.

New ROGer Array Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Jesseinsf PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Z390)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMW128GX4M4E3200C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Sound CardCreative Labs Sound Blaster AE-9
    MonitorSamsung 32" UH750 QLED UHD Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MLX-D36M-A20PC-R1 w/ Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM x3 Fans
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL (ROG Certified)
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200 Platinum
    Keyboard RAZER HUNTSMAN ELITE - LINEAR OPTICAL SWITCH (Red) w/ PBT Keycaps
    Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate with Charging Dock
    Headset Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula V2 Mousepad
    Headset/Speakers Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    OS Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AC5300
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
    Accessory #2 Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM

If you want the power supply to last then the quick answer is no. If the power supply had 70 more watts then there would be no issue.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by coldsilver_2020 View Post
    Hey everyone! Thinking of upgrading from my GTX 1080 to the RTX 3070 after almost 4 years. I've read so far that the 3070's TDP is 220W, and I was wondering if you guys also think it's possible with the 230W power adapter of the G20CB.

I've been reading this helpful thread for months now, and I've been heavily inspired to follow in their G20 upgrade footsteps with the CPU and GPU.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi, I'm in the same situation but with a GTX980.
    The RTX 3070 seems very attractive but I'm afraid this will not compatible on a G20CB (180 W + 230 W Power adapter).
    I hope someone will confirm that is possible.

In parallel, I'm studying to move my config in an ATX box.
    I realized the Mobo has a very "special" format then cannot be fixed on it. Also, it is not compatible with an ordinary PSU..
    The "less cost" solution is to buy a new mobo, new DDR (yes, the G20 are using sodimm...), new ATX box, new PSU and just keep the cpu and ssd/hdd...
    In fact, I just have to buy a new complet PC if I want to play with this RTX 3070.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Drizztorbber View Post
    Hi, I'm in the same situation but with a GTX980.
    The RTX 3070 seems very attractive but I'm afraid this will not compatible on a G20CB (180 W + 230 W Power adapter).
    I hope someone will confirm that is possible.

In parallel, I'm studying to move my config in an ATX box.
    I realized the Mobo has a very "special" format then cannot be fixed on it. Also, it is not compatible with an ordinary PSU..
    The "less cost" solution is to buy a new mobo, new DDR (yes, the G20 are using sodimm...), new ATX box, new PSU and just keep the cpu and ssd/hdd...
    In fact, I just have to buy a new complet PC if I want to play with this RTX 3070.
    hi, not necesairly. You just need to get better osu for example 330w dell one and make sure you will choose card which will fit into case, by far i found 2 of them 3070fe and gigabyte 3070 eagle/3070 eagle oc. Those 2 with better supply will work no problem.Â*

New ROGer Array

Just throwing this out there but the G20 can run the GTX1080 and some of the power consumption comparisons I've been looking at put the RTX cards as being more efficient with power consumption.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13762...-6gb-review/14

The article above shows the RTX 2060 and 2070 using a lower power consumption than the GTX1060.