cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF A17 FA706IU CPU Overheating

Angstromm
Level 8
I'm getting 107�C while gaming. Max. is 105�C on an AMD Ryzen 7 4800H. Not good.

Wondering what's up the the overheating protection and why system isn't throttling back as it should to help preserve the longevity and viability of the CPU.

Laptop is on a hard surface and nothing is blocking or impeding airflow. Ambient temp is around 70�F.

Thanks...

UPDATE:

So, I had spikes as high as 111 C.--insane!!! I'm thinking that an Asus update has helped throttle back the CPU now, since I'm now topping out at 97 C. Still too high and the poor cooling design still causes the CPU to be throttled back constantly while gaming. This is definitely not Asus's best effort. There are now a number of reviews out on both the 15" and 17" models of this machine and most concur that there are some big issues (terrible scree quality and overheating + heavy CPU throttling). Too bad. In spite of all that, there's a lot i like about this laptop....but yeah, it's pretty flawed!
28 REPLIES 28

Hotshot5000
Level 7
LET'S MAKE SOME NOOOOOOOISEEEEE!

Watch this guy do a better job at thermal design than the whole asus engineering team BWHAHAHAHA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJS-ZAmcreI&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed
They are an embarrassment!!!! Listen to the lies they say when they are getting destroyed by an amateur.
Let's all gather here and demand an answer from these bozos! Don't let this slip! They have gimped this laptop.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLaptops/comments/h9b2mw/asus_tuf_a15_4800h2060_do_not_buy_thermal/
Don't go for workarounds like suggested: undervolting, disabling boost etc....

Bare in mind I have the A15 with the 2060 GPU-

However, I noticed that after getting the latest version of Armoury Crate installed, if I turn the performance down to Silent or at least Performance rather than Turbo, unless I'm doing something nuts like running a VM or worse a game, I don't hit the 100 degree mark anymore.

Maybe that will help you out there? For me, I dropped as much as 20 Degrees. I was pushing 105 plus. With the performance setting set to Silent rather than Turbo, I noticed that I dropped to a spikes no more than about 85 give or take.

dcbryantmjkda wrote:
Bare in mind I have the A15 with the 2060 GPU-

However, I noticed that after getting the latest version of Armoury Crate installed, if I turn the performance down to Silent or at least Performance rather than Turbo, unless I'm doing something nuts like running a VM or worse a game, I don't hit the 100 degree mark anymore.

Maybe that will help you out there? For me, I dropped as much as 20 Degrees. I was pushing 105 plus. With the performance setting set to Silent rather than Turbo, I noticed that I dropped to a spikes no more than about 85 give or take.

And what was the performance impact of that drop? Of course they can make it drop 20 degrees... They just cut 2Ghz of the CPU performance and it will drop the temperature. Also, why can't I use Turbo if I want and only Silent if I want the thing to not thermal throttle?

If you get 85 in Silence mode it just adds to my argument. Trash design. Silence mode is extremely limited in terms of performance. If it hits 85 in that mode it's gonna burst into fire in Turbo mode.

Hotshot5000 wrote:
And what was the performance impact of that drop? Of course they can make it drop 20 degrees... They just cut 2Ghz of the CPU performance and it will drop the temperature. Also, why can't I use Turbo if I want and only Silent if I want the thing to not thermal throttle?

If you get 85 in Silence mode it just adds to my argument. Trash design. Silence mode is extremely limited in terms of performance. If it hits 85 in that mode it's gonna burst into fire in Turbo mode.

In terms of performance with encoding a video -- I didn't notice much of a performance drop. When it comes to the other, if I set it to be silent it stays that way.

In terms of cooling, well sadly there is only so much a air cooling can do. The really serious C/GPU'S have liquid cooling.

When it comes to design, well I guess that comes to reviews. I've owned some extremely trash computers before. The only thing I haven't cared for on this machine is how long it takes to restart and thus far I haven't found a way to fix that.

Why are we allowing this thrash to happen? Let's go to some reviewers and tell them about this great (trash) brand that ASUS is. You paid money for this! Don't accept it! The customer is always right! They think that 100 degrees CPU is OK? In what universe? Let's make them pay for their trash design. Get your money back and trash them in the press/on reddit/everywhere you can! If we don't stand up then we have no chance and next year a new generation of kids will buy this trash and get burnt. Let's do this for the good of us all! Everywhere you go post "ASUS is trash! They are cheats and thieves". That will teach them!

Hotshot5000 wrote:
Why are we allowing this thrash to happen? Let's go to some reviewers and tell them about this great (trash) brand that ASUS is. You paid money for this! Don't accept it! The customer is always right! They think that 100 degrees CPU is OK? In what universe? Let's make them pay for their trash design. Get your money back and trash them in the press/on reddit/everywhere you can! If we don't stand up then we have no chance and next year a new generation of kids will buy this trash and get burnt. Let's do this for the good of us all! Everywhere you go post "ASUS is trash! They are cheats and thieves". That will teach them!

Well, I agree insofar as Asus's design/engineering team could have done a better job on this laptop and, yes, they should hear about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRDUR-rPGsM

I've built gaming rigs and repaired computers professionally for several decades now and have relied heavily on Asus's products for most of my high-end, custom builds (esp. mobos). I think, in the main, Asus is a great and reliable company.

That said, I do wish they would take a bit more responsibly when turning out a lemon. It happens, I get it. But dang, everything about this laptop says that they pushed it out fast, too fast. It took a month after I bought mine for them to roll out RAID drivers for it! That should have been done BEFORE they rolled out this laptop. And the RAID "manual" looks like an unskilled 10-year-old hacked it together. Seriously, just go look it...what a joke!

I nearly always wait for at least the second iteration of a product (video card, mobo, laptop, etc.) before throwing money at it. Give it time for reviews to come out and for end-users like ourselves to gripe about the problems and for Asus to fix stuff. But this time my work laptop took a dump and I needed something not too expensive but powerful. So oh well...

Angstromm wrote:
Well, I agree insofar as Asus's design/engineering team could have done a better job on this laptop and, yes, they should hear about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRDUR-rPGsM

I've built gaming rigs and repaired computers professionally for several decades now and have relied heavily on Asus's products for most of my high-end, custom builds (esp. mobos). I think, in the main, Asus is a great and reliable company.

That said, I do wish they would take a bit more responsibly when turning out a lemon. It happens, I get it. But dang, everything about this laptop says that they pushed it out fast, too fast. It took a month after I bought mine for them to roll out RAID drivers for it! That should have been done BEFORE they rolled out this laptop. And the RAID "manual" looks like an unskilled 10-year-old hacked it together. Seriously, just go look it...what a joke!

I nearly always wait for at least the second iteration of a product (video card, mobo, laptop, etc.) before throwing money at it. Give it time for reviews to come out and for end-users like ourselves to gripe about the problems and for Asus to fix stuff. But this time my work laptop took a dump and I needed something not too expensive but powerful. So oh well...

Same situation here. I bought this steaming pile because my previous laptop (an Acer, much better laptop) died and I needed something fast and I wanted it to have ryzen instead of the latest trash that intel puts out. The CPU is glorious when you run it alone but when the GPU is also in action things go bad quick. I will probably drill holes in it like that guy shows in the video and never buy anythig ever again from ASUS. And also recommend everybody to avoid ASUS. Trash company, trash products.

It's just so funny that one guy puts some holes in the back of a laptop and gets better thermals than the so called 'engineers'. It is clear that they just outsourced everything to India for the lowest possible cost and then whipped their workers to build something ASAP to throw on the market. Had they played 3-4 games on it before release they would have noticed the problem but most likely they didn't bother with this.

It is also clear that we must not accept this trash.

Sidenote: the spacebar is now squeaking when I press it. ASUS, the gift that keeps on giving. This pile of junk of a laptop is coming apart as we speak.

dcbryantmjkda wrote:
In terms of performance with encoding a video -- I didn't notice much of a performance drop. When it comes to the other, if I set it to be silent it stays that way.

In terms of cooling, well sadly there is only so much a air cooling can do. The really serious C/GPU'S have liquid cooling.

When it comes to design, well I guess that comes to reviews. I've owned some extremely trash computers before. The only thing I haven't cared for on this machine is how long it takes to restart and thus far I haven't found a way to fix that.

Re. the long boot time (that's what I'm assuming you mean by "restart"--or does it talk a long time to shut down AND start??): My Tuf A17 took well over 2 minutes to boot up. When I first got it, it took about 15-17 seconds! I discovered it was an issue with Win10 ver. 2004. Tried like mad to fix it, but nothing worked and MS gave up as well. So, I did a clean install of Win10 ver. 1909 and it now boots in about 30 seconds (that's with a ton of software/games installed).

I also had a terrible freezing issue: Every 40 sec. computer would freeze for 10 seconds. Couldn't get any work done! The ver. 1909 install took care of that as well.

Angstromm wrote:
Re. the long boot time (that's what I'm assuming you mean by "restart"--or does it talk a long time to shut down AND start??): My Tuf A17 took well over 2 minutes to boot up. When I first got it, it took about 15-17 seconds! I discovered it was an issue with Win10 ver. 2004. Tried like mad to fix it, but nothing worked and MS gave up as well. So, I did a clean install of Win10 ver. 1909 and it now boots in about 30 seconds (that's with a ton of software/games installed).

I also had a terrible freezing issue: Every 40 sec. computer would freeze for 10 seconds. Couldn't get any work done! The ver. 1909 install took care of that as well.

Perhaps it'll get resolved with the Fall or next spring update.

Also, when I'm saying "restart," I'm actually meaning that after you click "restart" and the screen goes dark, from the time it seems to take to receive power to when you can log in - it seems to take a shockingly long time to boot up. However, it only seems to happen during a restart.