cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix GL503GE 2000RPM Undervolting problem after bios update 318

Sary_Zainoun
Level 7
Hello all,

I have updated my Stirx GL503ge's bios to version 318 couple days ago, and now I can not apply CPU undervoltage with ThrottleStop.

What is the wrong with my laptop??
18 REPLIES 18

Blake1
Level 10
Dear all,
Please refer to below notice from Intel
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055804/processors.html?wapkw=SA-00289
We are following this on our BIOS setting.
Thank you.

Blake@ASUS wrote:
Dear all,
Please refer to below notice from Intel
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055804/processors.html?wapkw=SA-00289
We are following this on our BIOS setting.
Thank you.

Thank you

So it is still possible to undervolt it right? Intel said "Intel recommends you contact your system manufacturer to determine if your system supports overclocking.", so I think ASUS can (or must) give the option for the user to undervolt it, because as most people know, undervolt is great for laptop.

EDIT:
Change "underclock" to "undervolt".

Just downgrade to .307. This is the reason (Plundervolt patch) for me to not even try to upgrade to .308. When loading the .307 BIOS don't forget to load its defaults.

AtGrigorov wrote:
Just downgrade to .307. This is the reason (Plundervolt patch) for me to not even try to upgrade to .308. When loading the .307 BIOS don't forget to load its defaults.

It is safe to downgrade the BIOS version? I've this warning message that tell me to do not downgrade BIOS version. I have the problem with the version 317 that make my WLAN and BT drivers which using Windows 10 2004 Update's versions, and the drivers from ASUS sites keep getting overwritten with the Windows Update's versions and will make them not working randomly. Even when I disable those driver updates from Windows Update using Group Policy configurations, the BT drivers is really unstable, my BT devices such as phones cannot have a reliable connection with my laptop.

I think your drivers have nothing to do with the BIOS. I'm still on .307 and all works perfectly fine

Until SGX issues have been resolved (which probably wont happen at all on intel 6 -10th gen processors) You have a choice you can downgrade your bios to w/e version has undervolting enabled. However you run the risk over the pludervolt exploit which I made a post about further down the threads detailing wtf its all about.
the potential risk of personal information, software and hardware configuration interception and transmission as well as manipulation of your hardware is the scope of plunderbot method.

Readabout it. If you don't care just do w/e pleases you but as far as asus port of call is at the moment is to disable undervolting permanently until intel states otherwise.

KorosuKivy wrote:
Until SGX issues have been resolved (which probably wont happen at all on intel 6 -10th gen processors) You have a choice you can downgrade your bios to w/e version has undervolting enabled. However you run the risk over the pludervolt exploit which I made a post about further down the threads detailing wtf its all about.
the potential risk of personal information, software and hardware configuration interception and transmission as well as manipulation of your hardware is the scope of plunderbot method.

Readabout it. If you don't care just do w/e pleases you but as far as asus port of call is at the moment is to disable undervolting permanently until intel states otherwise.

I see, thank you for your information, but I've seen some Dell's laptops that got BIOS update to allow the undervolt feature. Because of that, I was thinking ASUS should also do the same.

Ghauntret wrote:
I see, thank you for your information, but I've seen some Dell's laptops that got BIOS update to allow the undervolt feature. Because of that, I was thinking ASUS should also do the same.

They won't unless they're confident that it would not damage your system or have the consumer endure loss of data from a breach. Each manufacturer has their own opinion-whether or not "their" bios will protect the end user from breach if the bios software doesn't or can't do it they won't release it until they're comfortable with it. however, you can roll back the bios which they (Asus) have given users the opportunity to do as long as you're aware of the consequence.

Alot of people will get pissy with it, end of the day its Asus that has to protect the consumer from vulnerabilities that "other" manufacturers have raised an issue with their hardware.