Updated Crosshair VII Hero WiFi to latest BIOS and get issues when I wake up PC

Sedare
Level 8
So I've recently updated 3 things that I can recall, maybe 4 in the last week:

The BIOS to the latest for this mobo 3103
Chipset drivers to latest AMD has available
iCue to latest
Windows Update to latest

I keep getting wake up issues where the computer more or less does a soft reboot. I say soft b/c when it gets back into windows after cycling through the initial load-up showing the ability to get into BIOS etc, all my windows I had open web browser and stuff is all still there. I don't have to relaunch anything.

I've no idea what could be causing the wake issues. I've also been encountering a few more BSODs than usual. I can't remember the codes, so sorry there, and in fact the last 2 didn't even take long for the "gathering information" part where you get the % upload to MS or whatever. Just BSOD, 10 seconds, computer reboots.

Any idea what could be going on? I know the information isn't the greatest, but this is odd and I'm about to just go back to the December 2019 BIOS.
17 REPLIES 17

Sedare
Level 8
I'm constantly getting BSODs system upon wake and now i'm getting can't find boot drive issues. I restart, go into bios, dont' change anything, it boots right back ujp with all my windows still open, like it wasn't even a full reboot . . . I've no idea what is going on here. My boot drive has no issues. I've scanned it. Only thing I can think of is to try and repair windows next or something.

Sedare
Level 8
Caught one of the BSOD names, Unexpected Store Exception. No idea what that is. I'm starting to think maybe it's the windows update . . . May just fully reinstall.

Sedare wrote:
I'm starting to think maybe it's the Windows update . . . May just fully reinstall.

You can check your Windows 10 install using this.

run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

If either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again. If you get caught in loop greater than twice, than you have serious Windows 10 installation issue. The purpose of the above is to correct any critical errors in Windows 10 install.

Hope you find this helpful.

Thanks for the response and help. I did what you suggested and there doesn't seem to be any issues there. So that's good. On to the next step I suppose. Not sure what else to do other than maybe really revert to a previous BIOS where this wasn't an issue, but the issue is definitely upon wake-up so I don't know if that will even help.

Thanks

Jigz18
Level 7
Hi, I too have been experiencing terrible USB and Wake Up issues. I recently updated the BIOS which I really regret. I need to see if I can do a flash back because the issues are terrible. I was also noticing really bad frame rates and overall integrity in games that I used to play with no issues. I think I am going to try to do a flash back or try an older set of BIOS. I dont have the USB issues until I wake the PC from sleep. I knew I shouldnt have updated and I still did. Last time I do that. I was stable for about a year with the HERO VII (Non-WIFI).

Ugh - if anyone finds a solution I am all ears.

Jigz18 wrote:
Hi, I too have been experiencing terrible USB and Wake Up issues. I recently updated the BIOS which I really regret. I need to see if I can do a flash back because the issues are terrible. I was also noticing really bad frame rates and overall integrity in games that I used to play with no issues. I think I am going to try to do a flash back or try an older set of BIOS. I dont have the USB issues until I wake the PC from sleep. I knew I shouldnt have updated and I still did. Last time I do that. I was stable for about a year with the HERO VII (Non-WIFI).

Ugh - if anyone finds a solution I am all ears.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with issues. The wake-up and have no boot drive issue is mindboggling. I tried reinstalling the december 2019 bios and ez flash couldn't recognize it as a valid bios. 😞 Is there any special sauce I need to do to revert back to an older bios?

Sedare
Level 8
Just another update. I woke the computer up it got to the pre-login screen (no password entry but just the background) then bsod with a System_Service_Exception BSOD. Then it went through the reboot, It couldn't find a boot device, then I went into BIOS, didn't touch a thing, discarded and exited, then it booted up just fine . . . I really have no idea if this is Windows being stupid or the latest bios.

Sedare
Level 8
Just another update. I woke the computer up it got to the pre-login screen (no password entry but just the background) then bsod with a System_Service_Exception BSOD. Then it went through the reboot, It couldn't find a boot device, then I went into BIOS, didn't touch a thing, discarded and exited, then it booted up just fine . . . I really have no idea if this is Windows being stupid or the latest bios.

Can you run HWinfo and screenshot the summary screen and post it.

Can you look in Device Manager.
What is the IDE ATA Controllers reported as.... ie "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" list all of them.
Are there any devices being reported as not functioning ?