Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent crashes in games and Furmark after a few seconds

Dank_Rafft
Level 7
PC Specs:

• Intel® Core™ i7-8700K
  • 16GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400MHz (2x 8GB)
  • 11GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 1080 Ti ASUS ROG STRIX OC-Edition
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming (Chipsatz:Z370/ATX)
  • 600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 80+

I haven't overclocked anything everything uses stock/default settings.

The problem

When I run a game above 60FPS (I usually do because I have a 144Hz G-Sync monitor) they crash after a few seconds.

I noticed it the first time with Fallout 4 when I installed a mod that uncapped the game's native FPS limit of 60. I could play for a few seconds (in rare cases it's a few minutes) before the game crashes pretty reliable. First I thought this is due to that mod because I never had any issues with other games previously. I reinstalled the game and tried different configurations. The result was always the same. Then I installed a mod that enables crash logging and that one showed the following:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in CALL STACK 0x7FF8B558EBD0 d3d11.dll+012EBD0

Fallout 4 doesn't have its own D3D11.dll so it must be the system one (GPU driver?). I tested several (older) Nvidia drivers but that didn't fix it either.

After some more tinkering around I tested some of my other games that worked flawlessly a few weeks/months back, namely The Witcher 3 and Borderlands 3. Both showed the exact same behaviour, they crashed a few seconds after loading into the game extremely consistently.

I checked temperatures of CPU, GPU, SSD and the other components. But they all are consistently below 80°C. After a clean reinstall of Windows 10 (v2004) those games still crashed. I took apart the entire PC, cleaned and rebuilt it.

Finally I ran Prime95, Furmark and MemTest. CPU and memory seem super stable. But Furmark crashed after a few seconds. I guess the graphics card is the cause. I also noticed some strange high-pitched noise coming from the GPU that I've never heard before. Is that coil whine? Could this have something to do with those crashes?

What do you think? Is the GPU basically dead? Are there any other tests I could do to get more information about the actual cause of those crashes?
0 REPLIES 0