cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix scar GL703GS

codeostego
Level 7
Since buying ASUS I've had numerous issues of freezing especially while gaming. I had a heating issue and managed to download ASUS GPU tweak and set my temperature to 71 degree's Celsius. Below are my dxdiag information and troubleshooting I have attempted. Randomly my laptop will just freeze with no errors in event managers. It freezes and I have to hard reboot everytime. No BSODs just freezing fans running etc but the laptop is stuck

Attempted fixes - Factory reset 3 times with only 1 game. Apex legends (Froze after getting hot used GPU Tweak) Factory settings let it get to 91 degrees Celsius and it freezes. GPU Tweak allowed longer play times with very few freezes. Most of the freezes happened when I alt tabbed and opened chrome. Then had to hard reboot

Installed samsung drivers. Removed every Mcafee registry entry manually due to an old forum post that stated that could possibly be the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd did over a year of reasearch and nothing so far has fixed my issue. I have heard reputting thermal paste on the GPU but since GPU Tweak I keep the tempuratue below 71 degrees now and it doesnt get hot.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/19/2020, 22:28:06
Machine name: LAPTOP-HB7QBNG7
Machine Id: {DBD1405E-60A9-4720-AF24-E440495EF256}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: Strix GL703GS_GL703GS
BIOS: GL703GS.311 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16306MB RAM
Page File: 5273MB used, 13465MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
8 REPLIES 8

codeostego
Level 7
Closing a game and leaving the laptop alone with no inputes also causes a freeze. Sometimes now when no games are played the laptop randomly freezes. I've used CCleaner to clean old registry inputs and I have a very bare minimum of programs installed. Namely steam and origin. All other programs from the factory reset were removed and the registry was cleaned. thank you

Hi there,

That doesn't sound right with the freezing issue, especially if it freezes after a short amount of time after being powered on / rebooting.

Am I right that after a cold start (laptop turned on after not being used for a while) and left on the Windows Desktop it'll freeze shortly after? If so, after how long?

Without a game running do you still hear the fans? What are the CPU and GPU Temps? How long have you had the laptop for? Was it OK when you first bought it?

Sorry, I am replying to you quickly for now because I want to try and help.

Although I do not have any freezing issues with my GL703GS, from day 1 I always wanted to keep the CPU & GPU Temps as low as possible.

I have tweaked the CPU offset voltage and also adjusted the voltage curve for the GPU while maxing the GPU to 1747Mhz.... I never go above 80c generally (often 70c-80c, some spike to 82c) on the CPU, same with the GPU (often up to 78c), that is while play COD Warzone with the GPU running mostly at 97%-100% and CPU I think 50% to 65%.

If you recently bought the laptop (GL703GS is about 2 models old now) then there might be a fault, maybe the thermal paste but let's not go there right now.

Want to get more info from you before referring you to some info on CPU/GPU voltages stuff.

You say factory reset, assuming that's a reinstall of Windows?

Also, could you download and run "CPUID HWMonitor" please?

Please let the Laptop run for 10mins after a cold start (powered off for a while) and screenshot the results.

And also after playing a game.

Thanks

Sorry, as I was saying I sent a quick reply but having re-read what you said I see about the restarts, etc

Dazechan
Level 7
codeostego wrote:
Since buying ASUS I've had numerous issues of freezing especially while gaming. I had a heating issue and managed to download ASUS GPU tweak and set my temperature to 71 degree's Celsius. Below are my dxdiag information and troubleshooting I have attempted. Randomly my laptop will just freeze with no errors in event managers. It freezes and I have to hard reboot everytime. No BSODs just freezing fans running etc but the laptop is stuck

Attempted fixes - Factory reset 3 times with only 1 game. Apex legends (Froze after getting hot used GPU Tweak) Factory settings let it get to 91 degrees Celsius and it freezes. GPU Tweak allowed longer play times with very few freezes. Most of the freezes happened when I alt tabbed and opened chrome. Then had to hard reboot

Installed samsung drivers. Removed every Mcafee registry entry manually due to an old forum post that stated that could possibly be the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd did over a year of reasearch and nothing so far has fixed my issue. I have heard reputting thermal paste on the GPU but since GPU Tweak I keep the tempuratue below 71 degrees now and it doesnt get hot.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/19/2020, 22:28:06
Machine name: LAPTOP-HB7QBNG7
Machine Id: {DBD1405E-60A9-4720-AF24-E440495EF256}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: Strix GL703GS_GL703GS
BIOS: GL703GS.311 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16306MB RAM
Page File: 5273MB used, 13465MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

Hey there , I've had a similar problem myself and it turned out to be a Windows issue.

Mine was caused by W10 2004 build (the May update was what caused the issue ) it was lately fixed by updating to the latest September build.

(Note : I did like 3-4 reset and the problem still persisted , only updating through Windows Media Tool worked for me)

Did your problem start randomly ? or was it after an update you did? Also I'd like to know if artifacts show up on your screen once the the freeze occurs. (or distortions in general)

Please let me know what version of nvidia graphic drivers you're currently on.

Oooo interesting.

I didn't have that prob when on the 2004 Build.

Good to know and thank you.

My Strix Scar GL703GE also suffered from overheating. It has the same CPU as yours and a GTX 1050 Ti. It gradually grew worse til my CPU was always at >50 °C when idle and my GPU would reach 90+ °C with a game like Subnautica which shouldn't be that GPU-intensive. Having a cooling pad or being in a cool room didn't help.

I realized that (after just <2 years of use) the thermal pastes on both processors had already mostly dried out, especially the GPU's. Most of it was also on the sides of the processors rather than on top. Replacing it with some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut did the trick, making both processors 10+ °C cooler. They've remained that way since.

Did some more digging online, and found out that Strix Scars seem to share this thermal paste issue.

Try checking your thermal paste if it needs replacing, too, or have it checked and replaced in a computer shop.

Some also recommended undervolting the Core i7-8750H with ThrottleStop, which indeed made mine even cooler w/o affecting performance at all, but do so at your own risk. Do some research first, or try asking the shop if they know anything about it.

Yeah that's what I use, ThrottleStop for the CPU and MSI Afterburner for the GPU... I get good temps