cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Zephyrus M (2019) Temps too high? [GU502GU]

Abn0n
Level 8
My CPU temps are reaching 92-97C for some reason at idle.
My fan speed is max. in manual mode at 123% and 119 % for the cpu and gpu respectively (8800-9000 RPM)
I tried GPU mining somewhere around April, and my GPU temps would hit around 84-88C while being at around 75% fan speed. Now I can't even leave it at max. speed without using a laptop cooler as well to keep it around 86C.
I have opened the back panel and completely cleaned the fan blades (it was pretty dusty and clogged) but even after completely cleaning it up it hasn't gone back to that. it only partly fixed the overheating issue I was facing for a week ,I was reaching 90C temps on the GPU with the cooler and max. fan speed. But it still hasnt gone down to how it should be or better.
Should I re-paste the thermal paste? I have a Gelid thermal paste. Would that be better than what's already in? And I'm guessing this would void my warranty wouldn't it while repasting? I have repasted my previous custom built barebones laptop 2-3 times with the permission of the vendor so I didn't void warranty for that but I understand it's different in this case.
I bought this laptop in March of this year
Would really appreciate any help to get the temps down.
3 REPLIES 3

Jaroslaw_0
Level 8
You will not lose the warranty if you do it so that you cannot see any interference inside the laptop. You just need to remember about the seal on one of the screws on the processor in order not to lose it and to re-paste it. Gelid GC Extreme is a very good paste for this CPU and GPU because it is very thick and has great thermal conductivity properties.

I opened my GX701 at least 5 times to replace the paste. Recently, one of the RAM memory has failed - I gave it a warranty and they replaced it. You can also give them back under warranty - then they will exchange the paste

Jaroslaw_0 wrote:
You will not lose the warranty if you do it so that you cannot see any interference inside the laptop. You just need to remember about the seal on one of the screws on the processor in order not to lose it and to re-paste it. Gelid GC Extreme is a very good paste for this CPU and GPU because it is very thick and has great thermal conductivity properties.

I opened my GX701 at least 5 times to replace the paste. Recently, one of the RAM memory has failed - I gave it a warranty and they replaced it. You can also give them back under warranty - then they will exchange the paste

Thank you so much for the response, this was really helpful! Also I didn't understand the last line, did you mean they would change the paste under warranty?
And should I re-paste it? I'm unsure if it is any better than the default one and if this 6-7 months of use is enough to have a need to change it. Again thanks a ton for responding that to so quickly!

Yes - the warranty service will perform the maintenance of your cooling system - re-paste and cleaning

Imagine that in my case, when I took the new laptop out of the box, it was already overheating and I had to replace the paste in a new laptop for $ 2500!