cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme Bios save issue

BenTed
Level 7
Hi,

Around a year or so ago a USB 3.0 HUB broke. The blue plastic part in a USB snapped without me knowing. A USB was inserted the wrong way around if I remember correctly.

Ever since the BIOS will not save any settings to either of the BIOS chips.
The PC will save the settings as long as it is not turned off at the PSU.
If the PSU is powered off, then I need to enter the BIOS via F1 and load a saved bios setting profile.
When saved all seems to go well (settings are effective and PC boots fine) until PSU is turned off.

I've tried re-flashing the BIOS using the bios flash utility. Went ok. But as soon as I turned off the PC by the PSU. Same issue.
Switching to the other BIOS which was on an older version just acted the same. All ok until PSU powered off.

I could just put up with the issue or just not turn the PSU off. But it's an annoying issue and I did shell out allot on the set up.

I've seen on eBay someone advertising bios chip programming. But I'm wondering if the BIOS chips will be faulty or if there has been some other damage.
Was hoping that someone who has seen this issue before or is more knowledgeable with how a motherboard works to advise if I would be wasting my money trying it.

Anyone advise please?
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
MAybe replace the BIOS battery on the board.....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
MAybe replace the BIOS battery on the board.....

Thanks for your suggestion.

Sorry, I should have included that on my OP. I have done that as well. No luck.

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
What do you mean by, "turned off at the PSU?" I've never heard that worded that way so I'm kinda lost.

JOSHSKORN wrote:
What do you mean by, "turned off at the PSU?" I've never heard that worded that way so I'm kinda lost.

So I can shut down the PC and it will switch off and the PSU is left turned on with power running into the motherboard.
I can also then after the above, turn the PC off at the power supply which will cut all power to the motherboard.

If the power supply is left turned ON, the issue does not occur. If the power supply is turned OFF (killing all power ) the issue I've described occurs.

BenTed wrote:
So I can shut down the PC and it will switch off and the PSU is left turned on with power running into the motherboard.
I can also then after the above, turn the PC off at the power supply which will cut all power to the motherboard.

If the power supply is left turned ON, the issue does not occur. If the power supply is turned OFF (killing all power ) the issue I've described occurs.

I'll be honest with you, I have a bad feeling that this forum is pretty dead, and that most people with this board have moved on. You might try another forum with a more active community, and maybe you'll be able to find an answer there. Maybe HardForum, Overclockers or TomsHardware, just to name a few offhand. In fact, I saw a possible solution to your problem on Tomshardware's forums. I just want to verify what all you meant by when the PSU is off, to which, seems kinda strange to me, but anyways...

PSU Off - Do you mean system shutdown? (i.e. in Windows, Start Menu>Shut Down ) ?
PSU On - Either leave the computer on or put to Sleep/Hibernate mode (i.e. in Windows, Start>Sleep) ?

If that's what you meant, you might want to be more clear about that. Also, can you provide a picture as to what exactly broke? I don't exactly understand what you mean by USB 3.0 Hub, if it's something related to the front panel, back panel, or something on the board, itself.

One thing that confuses me in terms of the PSU being shut off, as you say, is, I recently bought a USB powered fan that I just plug into my computer and leave on, all of the time. It's one of those silly little USB gadgets. When I shut my computer off, the fan stays on. I honestly had no idea this would occur, until I bought the fan, had it plugged in and then shut my computer off. it was still on. Why, I don't know. But it seems to me that when I shut down my computer, my PSU seems to be still on, unlike yours. I would imagine that if you plugged your smartphone into your PC to charge, it should also charge when the computer is off, at least in my scenario.

What I might look into, is your Device Manager. On my computer, if I go to the Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then check every device by Right-clicking, going to Properties and then Power Management, there's a checkbox, which says Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. This is what I'm observing:

• Some Generic USB Hub devices are set to turn off the power, some are not.
  • All USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) and Generic Superspeed USB Hub devices are set to turn off.
  • All USB Root Hub devices are NOT set to turn off.

These devices do not have the Power Management tab, so don't bother looking:

• ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
  • Intel (R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
  • Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Long story short, maybe ensure that something is still drawing power when you shut down. Maybe that'll fix your problem. It may not be exactly what you want, but it's a workaround. Or maybe try finding the specific device that is broken (which might take awhile) and try disabling it from the Device Manager. I wouldn't know offhand if it's possible to do such within the BIOS, but if it is, that might be ideal.

Other than that, I'm all out of ideas. Good luck, and let us know if you find a solution.

pharma
Level 9
You might try eBay and get a new bios chip (pretty cheap). I was having issues with both bios so ordered a new one from Bios Depot. Pretty easy to remove old bios and install new one. Had no issues booting and copying bios 1 to bios 2. Since I wanted to keep new bios chip as backup, I replaced new bios chip with removed chip and copied bios 2 to bios 1.

Have had no problems since.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That board has a second BIOS chip...maybe flash current BIOS to it and see if the behaviour continues.

I would avoid ebay for BIOS chips...many bad/non working

http://www.bios-chip24.com/epages/63730052.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=29753695

BenTed
Level 7
Thank you to all that replied 🙂