Can't get Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 recognized on Corsshair VIII Wifi

nofriday
Level 7
Hi there,

I have a new PC build. Core specs:
Product Model & S/N: ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-fi,
BIOS/FW Version 2206
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model PVS432G320C6K
HDD: Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-500
VGA: MSI ATI Radeon HD6450 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card R6450-MD1GD3/LP
Power Supply: CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT

I have been able to power on PC, and install Windows 10 on a spare Sata SSD I have. But I cannot:
1) View the Sabrent NVMe drive in the BIOS
2) Install Windows on the NVMe drive

I have tried the common suggestions that I have seen in various threads to disable CSM, select "Other OS", and disable the secure boot keys when installing Windows.

However, Windows installed still is not able to display the drive, and I cannot see the drive in the BIOS.

I have tried both M2 slots multiple times, and I have tried to make sure the drive is fully seated in the slot.

Am I doing something obviously wrong? Is there a chance the drive is defective?

Thanks in advance for any help, I've done my best to rule out anything that could be incorrect here.

Joe
10 REPLIES 10

RedSector73
Level 12
The NVMe drive needs to be installed in the Top M2 (nearest the CPU)

Then follow this procedure for install of Windows 10 on NVMe drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and Windows will finish the installation.

Thanks very much for getting back to me.

I had previously followed that workflow, and tried again, creating a Windows Boot disk via the Windows installer / Rufus. I was able to boot the installer from the USB disk, but unfortunately, the Windows installer could not see this disk. I removed the SATA drive such that this was the only drive option. I also tried both M2 slots, and had the same experience.

Thoughts on what could be wrong? What's going through my head:

1) This drive isn't compatible with the motherboard (seems unlikely since I bought the Crosshair VIII in part because it had the 4.0 compatibility) but wanted to at least suggest this

2) The M2 slots are not working (seems unlikely)

3) The drive is defective. (seems possible)

4) I am still doing something incorrect (seems possible / probable)

At this point, it seems like my most likely course of action is to return the drive, and either get a replacement, or try the Samsung Pro EVO model instead.

Thanks again for any insights on what could be wrong. I might also try re-flashing the BIOS in the off chance that something is wrong there?

Thanks,
Joe

The BIOS not seeing the NVMe drive is normal till Windows makes it bootable. As per my instructions.

The issue is using rufus by the sounds of it. You need to make ISO of Windows 10 using Windows media creation tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Try this and see if it work with the instructions given previously. If not I would suspect the drive itself as possibly defective.

Thanks again. I was able to create a Windows USB boot drive with the Media Creation Tool. The experience was identical - I was able to start the Windows installer, but was unable to discover the NVME drive via the installer.

I'll try a few other things but it looks like I might need to exchange the drive.

-joe

Thanks Darox.

Can you be more specific about which drivers need to be on the USB? I went to the AMD website to download the X570 drivers, and it appears to be a self-contained installer that will only run on Windows, as opposed to a standalone driver I can add to the USB. The version I downloaded from the ASUS website seems to be the same situation.

From what I've read on other forums, most posters say that a) the Windows installer should have the NVME drivers already (i.e. the one created with the Media Creation Tool, as RedSector73 has suggested, and that b) it is normal for the new drive to now show up in the BIOS until Windows is installed.

I appreciate any insight you can add here!

Thanks,
Joe

RAID on NVMe drives is pretty pointless, especially if you have a high end one that can easily do 3000 MB/s with just a single drive. All you're doing is upping the latency and higher risk for losing your files.

It also won't fix your issue OP.

Thanks for the input Darox and RedSector73. Yeah - I am not trying to set up RAID on this drive, so while I appreciate the ideas, I am a little worried that's not going to fix the underlying issue.

I decided to order a replacement drive to see if that fixes the problem.

I appreciate all of the help and advice so far. Thank you!!

-joe

Good news! I got the replacement drive and was able to get Windows installed via the method described earlier in this thread. So assuming that the original drive I had was defective.

Thanks a ton for helping diagnose and troubleshoot. Happy to be past this problem!

Joe

Darox
Level 9
You need AMD drivers in the USB

NVME should able in the BIOS