cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero X (Wi-Fi) optional Win 10 drivers suggested

Saltgrass
Level 13
I am not really an expert of knowing exactly what drivers should be used with what systems but win 10 Optional Updates which seem to related to the Intel Series 200 chipset while I have an 8th generation processor and Series 300 chipset, look a little strange..

Anyone know if this is reasonable or has Intel having some type of problem. Is this a situation where chipsets may have commonalities with prior chipsets and this is one of those?

Thanks for reading.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200
6 REPLIES 6

howxcore
Level 10
those are generally older than the ones that are provided in this forum which are the latest.

howxcore wrote:
those are generally older than the ones that are provided in this forum which are the latest.

I think I will wait to see what happens. I had previously looked up the Xeon driver and it may be some type of branding update for Intel. But the other ones, may be OK but I have the latest drives from this site so why are other ones being offered.

I think tomorrow I will look again for the chipset drivers on this system and install them myself if they are new. Then I will be able to tell if the optional ones go away, the drivers offered may be normal..

Thanks for the response..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass
Level 13
Just in case someone else notices this, today I install the April 2020 chipset drivers from the ASUS download site. The driver versions of the devices mentioned stayed at a 1968 date. The optional updates continued to show in Windows Update..

I read a Microsoft article which explained some OEMs will install 200 series chipset drivers on 300 series chipsets for compatibility or stability issues, which basically said it was OK to do that.

I allowed the Win 10 suggested Optional updates to install and they have not returned and the devices are showing a 2016 date now instead of 1968.. So far, the system seems to be working normally..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Just in case someone else notices this, today I install the April 2020 chipset drivers from the ASUS download site. The driver versions of the devices mentioned stayed at a 1968 date. The optional updates continued to show in Windows Update..

I read a Microsoft article which explained some OEMs will install 200 series chipset drivers on 300 series chipsets for compatibility or stability issues, which basically said it was OK to do that.

I allowed the Win 10 suggested Optional updates to install and they have not returned and the devices are showing a 2016 date now instead of 1968.. So far, the system seems to be working normally..

Same board without Wi-Fi here. Installed optional updates to see how it goes. Dates changed to 2016 as you've mentioned. I've rolled everything back to previous drivers to see if optional drivers will appear on windows updates, nope they didn't. Optional drivers totally gone and I'm now suspecting if they'r accidentally released.

mordeaur wrote:
Same board without Wi-Fi here. Installed optional updates to see how it goes. Dates changed to 2016 as you've mentioned. I've rolled everything back to previous drivers to see if optional drivers will appear on windows updates, nope they didn't. Optional drivers totally gone and I'm now suspecting if they'r accidentally released.

You might be seeing a situation where some type of flag was set showing you rejected the updates.. I will look at the thread mentioned to see what drivers are there, but I believe Microsoft and the OEMs are going to a driver delivery system and will eventually make that the only method of getting new drivers..

I did try to download and install Series 300 chipset drivers directly from Intel but got an error message saying a package was not in a specific location and aborted the install..

Thanks for the response.. I wonder what was in those new drivers which precipitated their optional status....? Maybe just setting a baseline for future updates? I have another system, Z490, which is waiting on a new graphics card. So it is not currently running but maybe I will check it and see if any optional updates show up there..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

howxcore
Level 10
disreguard the ones on the official asus site, and follow the instructions carefully here for your motherboard which is a 370 https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117609-DRIVERS-Intel-Chipset-MEI-SATA-(1xx-2xx-3xx-4xx)