cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperate help required, ROG Rapture AX-11000 GT

trickerty
Level 7
Hi all,

I am after some help with my router, and probably some basic information as it could just be me lacking knowledge.

I have upgraded to this router thinking and expecting for the money it was going to be great and easy to use, I was hoping for some plug and play and maybe a few tweeks here and there but what I have found is initially struggling to get more than 200Mb speed on the 5GHZ Channels and then on the 2.4Ghz I was getting less than 50Mbps (during initial purchase I had Virgin 350 service, around 380Mbps with 35Mbps up. After reading up there was some posts about reverting the firmware to a previous version which actually stopped the constant drop outs on the 2.4 channel and I got my speeds up to 386Mbps on the 5Ghz channels. Unfortunately my 2.4Ghz speed is still only at the very max 90Mbps..... should I be expecting the same amount on the 2.4 channel as the 5.0 channels? I have googled max speed on the iPhone x and that should be capable of more than 90Mb on that channel, so I am a bit lost about what is going on or why the speeds are so different.

This week I upgraded to the 500Mbps service which is 540Mbps down and 35Mbps up, the 5Ghz channel outputs the full speed but as yet I have not seen an increase on the speed of the 2.4 channel, so it that the limit?

I have also had Lan issues when gaming, the speeds have been terrible downloading when connected via the cable and then drop outs, I then connect to a 5Ghz channel and the speeds are great (tested downloading a file - Lan was terrible).

I have downloaded a custom firmware that was mentioned on this forum 'GT-AX11000_3.0.0.4_384_9165-' im not sure if I am doing something wrong, uploading a firmware and then not resetting something properly, whether this router is just a pile of crap or im totally leagues of knowledge behind being able to use it properly.

If there is anyone that is able to clear up a few points I mentioned above about speeds, what firmware to use, ideal setting on the 2.4ghz channel, if I should do a reset or what I am happy to try but I feel like I am struggling to get the best out of this router, especially when its supposed to be a great gaming router and raved about on many tech sites.

Thanks in Advance.
1 REPLY 1

ATTICUScc04
Level 7
trickerty wrote:
Hi all,

I am after some help with my router, and probably some basic information as it could just be me lacking knowledge.

I have upgraded to this router thinking and expecting for the money it was going to be great and easy to use, I was hoping for some plug and play and maybe a few tweeks here and there but what I have found is initially struggling to get more than 200Mb speed on the 5GHZ Channels and then on the 2.4Ghz I was getting less than 50Mbps (during initial purchase I had Virgin 350 service, around 380Mbps with 35Mbps up. After reading up there was some posts about reverting the firmware to a previous version which actually stopped the constant drop outs on the 2.4 channel and I got my speeds up to 386Mbps on the 5Ghz channels. Unfortunately my 2.4Ghz speed is still only at the very max 90Mbps..... should I be expecting the same amount on the 2.4 channel as the 5.0 channels? I have googled max speed on the iPhone x and that should be capable of more than 90Mb on that channel, so I am a bit lost about what is going on or why the speeds are so different.

This week I upgraded to the 500Mbps service which is 540Mbps down and 35Mbps up, the 5Ghz channel outputs the full speed but as yet I have not seen an increase on the speed of the 2.4 channel, so it that the limit?

I have also had Lan issues when gaming, the speeds have been terrible downloading when connected via the cable and then drop outs, I then connect to a 5Ghz channel and the speeds are great (tested downloading a file - Lan was terrible).

I have downloaded a custom firmware that was mentioned on this forum 'GT-AX11000_3.0.0.4_384_9165-' im not sure if I am doing something wrong, uploading a firmware and then not resetting something properly, whether this router is just a pile of crap or im totally leagues of knowledge behind being able to use it properly.

If there is anyone that is able to clear up a few points I mentioned above about speeds, what firmware to use, ideal setting on the 2.4ghz channel, if I should do a reset or what I am happy to try but I feel like I am struggling to get the best out of this router, especially when its supposed to be a great gaming router and raved about on many tech sites.

Thanks in Advance.

Try the official Firmware and see if that helps, it's newer than the one you posted: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/ROG-Rapture-GT-AX11000/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Official one should be: Version 3.0.0.4.384.9566

I have had no problems with this firmware version.

2.4ghz will have slower speeds then 5ghz and will vary due to congestion.

For what it's worth, my iPhone 11 gets 600 - 800 on 5ghz. Gets around 90 - 100 on 2.4 (I have 1gig internet).

I've left my router at the default settings other than changing what channels the 2.4 and 5 are on.