cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow SSD on Crosshair Viii Hero

Pilossof
Level 7
Seeking the community help on this issue. For some reason my Samsung 860 PRO 256GB is very slow and I was unable to find the reason why. Sequential read 251MB/s, Sequential write 155MB/s.
Any ideas?
22 REPLIES 22

MeanMachine
Level 13
Pilossof wrote:
Seeking the community help on this issue. For some reason my Samsung 860 PRO 256GB is very slow and I was unable to find the reason why. Sequential read 251MB/s, Sequential write 155MB/s.
Any ideas?

There are a number of causes that will slow an SSD down.

Obtain the latest Samsung Magician and ensure SATA drivers are up to date.
Keep the drives capacity under 75%.
Try disabling Rapid mode and check the differance.
Ensure TRIM is enabled.
Use your Magician tool to optimise and run Performance Optimization.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thank you MeanMachine. For some reason the Magician says that the drive cannot be optimized: "The selected drive does not support this feature"
The latest Magician 6.02 crashes after the last Windows update, so I am running 6.0. I have two Samsung SATA SSDs and one Samsung NVMe, and all behave the same way. The Magician can read the capacity, used space, S#, and FW, and that is all. I suspect the reason is somewhere deeper in the MoBo settings or in the drivers.

Pilossof wrote:
Thank you MeanMachine. For some reason the Magician says that the drive cannot be optimized: "The selected drive does not support this feature"
The latest Magician 6.02 crashes after the last Windows update, so I am running 6.0. I have two Samsung SATA SSDs and one Samsung NVMe, and all behave the same way. The Magician can read the capacity, used space, S#, and FW, and that is all. I suspect the reason is somewhere deeper in the MoBo settings or in the drivers.

Is your drives firmware up to date.?
Do you have the Trim command enabled in Windows.?
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

FW is probably up to date, at least Magician does prompt to update it. TRIM is enabled.

extreme
Level 7
check which port is connected? also enable write cache in device manager

Thank you extreme
All this was done before. Ports are 1 and 2 and I also tried different cables.

Why are using SSD not a NVMe drive ?

Anyway get the latest chipset drivers from AMD.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

TRIM is enabled in Windows 10, you don't need to do anything for it to just work.

I think you will find the Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB performs inconsistently under varying real world conditions. A Kingston A2000 NVMe would perform better and cheap as or can go NVMe Samsung 970 or 980 or Hynix Gold or Adata SX8200PNP which all perform significantly better in the real world.

Here is the procedure for install of windows on NVMe drive (when you get around to getting one).

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and Windows will finish the installation.

Thanks for the instructions RedSector73. They will be very helpful one day when I will have to reinstall Windows. I there was a way to apply a disk image to NVMe I would go with this option rightaway, but I have red this is problematic. I do have NVMe drive installed, but I use only in the process of image and video editting. I simply cannot afford at this moment spending time to reinstall all applications and finetune them. Cheers!

extreme
Level 7
test it with another available pc on intel sata3 port see what it gives ...