Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    106

    Quote Originally Posted by craig_cabbage View Post
    Do you know how Armoury Crate and ThrottleStop interact? Should I set Armoury Crate to my desired power mode - silent/performance/turbo, and then turn on ThrottleStop, does it matter? Any insight?
    I would assume that if you set your power mode to say silent and run Throttlestop the values will continue if you changed it to turbo for just say you play a game however if you have reduced the clock or disabled the boost the fans will probably run as intended but Id recommend testing it first before settling in incase you get stop errors.

  2. #12
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    50

    How the **** did Asus QR let these go out without the 4 exhaust ports that come on the 2080S version. The single exhaust port is on the CPU fan side, and it's the CPU that runs hot anyway. Why did they think that simply upping the graphics card warranted using a 4th exhaust port? Sales gimmick? And the ****ty thing is, we're never going to get a straight answer from Asus, cuz if they admit any wrong doing, that would mean they would have to fix it.

    This is soooooooooo ridiculous to have to put this much effort into getting longevity out of a $2200 computer.

    Asus is lucky I don't use social media, I'd be posting stuff about this every day @Asus on twitter if I did.

  3. #13
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    106

    Quote Originally Posted by craig_cabbage View Post
    How the **** did Asus QR let these go out without the 4 exhaust ports that come on the 2080S version. The single exhaust port is on the CPU fan side, and it's the CPU that runs hot anyway. Why did they think that simply upping the graphics card warranted using a 4th exhaust port? Sales gimmick? And the ****ty thing is, we're never going to get a straight answer from Asus, cuz if they admit any wrong doing, that would mean they would have to fix it.

    This is soooooooooo ridiculous to have to put this much effort into getting longevity out of a $2200 computer.

    Asus is lucky I don't use social media, I'd be posting stuff about this every day @Asus on twitter if I did.
    Dew it...

    But on a serious note it's more along the lines of Nvidia shelling out these chips and be like hey get rid of this stock so we can start pushing our 30** series... anyone on the g15/17 series that has anything higher than a RTX2060 under the chassis is going to experience thermal issues... unless you live in the north...

    the only thing you can do is tinker with thottlestop for the CPU and MSI afterburner for the GPU to bring the clock rate down. and unless you have still to get a cooling pad that's it, nothing more you can do.

    EDIT: and the extreme choice is to remove armoury crate with all its profiles and hope that it runs reasonably well...

  4. #14
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    21

    Quote Originally Posted by craig_cabbage View Post
    Do you know how Armoury Crate and ThrottleStop interact? Should I set Armoury Crate to my desired power mode - silent/performance/turbo, and then turn on ThrottleStop, does it matter? Any insight?
    The two are independent of each other. No profile in the Armoury crate modifies the max turbo boost limit and so you can safely set the values in throttlestop any time you wish and switch between any of the profiles in Armoury Crate and still have the same throttlestop values applied. The only changes that go into affect is a minor overclock of the video card on the turbo profile and so if you are playing around with MSI afterburner to change the video voltage curve, it might screw up with those settings.

    Quote Originally Posted by KorosuKivy View Post
    Dew it...
    EDIT: and the extreme choice is to remove armoury crate with all its profiles and hope that it runs reasonably well...
    It would run relatively the same with the default windows profiles, there is just so much horse power under the hood and not enough ability to remove the heat fast enough to keep the temperatures in a zone that we are comfortable with. So even if you used the default windows profiles, I would still recommend throttlestop to keep temperatures in check. I have gamed for long periods of time on both Turbo and Silent profiles and have excellent cooling now.

    Keep in mind this is also not a problem that is happening only to Asus laptops. I see threads on Reddit all the time, two even today, about thermals for tons of different brands and people complaining about CPU temps spiking into the 90's and staying at a high 80's. Some people are saying that it is normal operating temperatures and not really damaging to the laptop, others say you should try to keep temperatures below 85 to increase the longevity of your laptop.

    I would rather play it safe with this very expensive laptop and loose a bit off the top to have safe of mind that my laptop is not constantly cooking.
    Asus G732LWS
    Geforce GTX 2070 Super
    Intel i7-10875h

  5. #15
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Reputation
    16
    Posts
    119

    Keep in mind this is also not a problem that is happening only to Asus laptops. I see threads on Reddit all the time, two even today, about thermals for tons of different brands and people complaining about CPU temps spiking into the 90's and staying at a high 80's. Some people are saying that it is normal operating temperatures and not really damaging to the laptop, others say you should try to keep temperatures below 85 to increase the longevity of your laptop.
    Intel states, temps up to 100 C are "safe working temperatures". Asus sets this limit even lower - 95 C in most cases. Anyway I also find it uncomfortable with temps above 90C. It's a common issue in basically every laptop using 9th gen CPUs and above, but Asus' heatsinks are very good in dissipating heat (unlike many other popular brands). Their only problem is factory applied paste, which is rubbish. After I repasted my laptop with a proper TIM (paste) it never exceeds 90-91 C with Throttlestop and never shows any warning in TS's Limit Reasons box, no matter the load. Without TS it is still hitting thermals, though much rarely, so this app is a must.

  6. #16
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    106

    Quote Originally Posted by AtGrigorov View Post
    Intel states, temps up to 100 C are "safe working temperatures". Asus sets this limit even lower - 95 C in most cases. Anyway I also find it uncomfortable with temps above 90C. It's a common issue in basically every laptop using 9th gen CPUs and above, but Asus' heatsinks are very good in dissipating heat (unlike many other popular brands). Their only problem is factory applied paste, which is rubbish. After I repasted my laptop with a proper TIM (paste) it never exceeds 90-91 C with Throttlestop and never shows any warning in TS's Limit Reasons box, no matter the load. Without TS it is still hitting thermals, though much rarely, so this app is a must.
    I cant wait to see how the RTX 30** series laptops deal with heat atm anything with a 2070 or above is having heat issues while here's me with RTX 2060 overclocking the GPU lol

    I'm was thinking about getting the other versions but paying an extra (at the time of the pre-order) and extra £500 for the RTX 2070 versions I honestly think I dodged a bullet.

  7. #17
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    50

    Quote Originally Posted by AtGrigorov View Post
    Intel states, temps up to 100 C are "safe working temperatures". Asus sets this limit even lower - 95 C in most cases. Anyway I also find it uncomfortable with temps above 90C. It's a common issue in basically every laptop using 9th gen CPUs and above, but Asus' heatsinks are very good in dissipating heat (unlike many other popular brands). Their only problem is factory applied paste, which is rubbish. After I repasted my laptop with a proper TIM (paste) it never exceeds 90-91 C with Throttlestop and never shows any warning in TS's Limit Reasons box, no matter the load. Without TS it is still hitting thermals, though much rarely, so this app is a must.
    Safe operating temperatures for how long? 1-2 hours at a time, which is not realistic ona gaming laptop? And if it's constantly running those temps, they expect the CPUs to operate at the same levels of efficiency 2 years down the road, which is really the minimum length I expect to be able to keep a laptop running modern titles?

    I mean none of this really makes any sense to me. There really couldn't have been that big of a manufacturing cost to adding a 4th exhaust and some extra heatfins/piping, I'm just trying to make sense of the scenario where Asus was running the G732LXS and the G732LWS and seeing the heat differences and being like, "this is ok, we know we can do better, but **** it". I didn't see the reviews before purchasing, but UltrabookReview was able to test the G732LXS and G532LWS and pointed out the differences then, before they had really hit most retailers. So it was a known issue that they had to just be ok with, because hey, if they run the CPU to exhaustion, they'll just have to buy another laptop! Not very considerate, and an expensive mistake to learn from, but lesson learned.

    Now if I could just figure out what RAM I can get at 3200MHz 32GB that's compatible and doesn't cost an arm & a leg.

    Also, cooling pad recommendations? I've had https://www.amazon.com/ENHANCE-Gamin.../dp/B016RBRLWA for over a year now, and the USB ports on the back are getting a loose connection, and it doesn't seem to push much air, never really did, and doesn't make a big difference with or without it.

  8. #18
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    106

    Quote Originally Posted by craig_cabbage View Post

    Now if I could just figure out what RAM I can get at 3200MHz 32GB that's compatible and doesn't cost an arm & a leg.
    I ended up paying £406.00 for the 64GB back in august its now dropped down to £316.57
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tech...29&sr=8-1&th=1 looks like its cheaper in the US... go figure...

    Quote Originally Posted by craig_cabbage View Post
    Also, cooling pad recommendations? I've had https://www.amazon.com/ENHANCE-Gamin.../dp/B016RBRLWA for over a year now, and the USB ports on the back are getting a loose connection, and it doesn't seem to push much air, never really did, and doesn't make a big difference with or without it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I got this cooling pad its a lower RPM than what you're using on all 5 fans but serves me well the USB ports are sturdy as hell. I was thinking about buying what you have but if you're saying its not pushing air I'll probably wait till its on sale.

  9. #19
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    50

    Quote Originally Posted by KorosuKivy View Post
    I ended up paying £406.00 for the 64GB back in august its now dropped down to £316.57
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tech...29&sr=8-1&th=1 looks like its cheaper in the US... go figure...


    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I got this cooling pad its a lower RPM than what you're using on all 5 fans but serves me well the USB ports are sturdy as hell. I was thinking about buying what you have but if you're saying its not pushing air I'll probably wait till its on sale.
    I've looked at that pad as well. I'm surprised there's not higher quality cooling pads out there, seems like an underserved market.

    I might look at getting one with a big center fan.


    Yeah I posted in your thread before when you talked about your RAM upgrade. Someone else said ASUS told them the HyperX is not compatible at 3200MHz, I believe. I'm looking at the 16GB equivalent to the 8GB Micron sticks that come stock, and the 16GB sticks are $160 each. I've found others that might be compatible, but at this point I'm waiting for Blake to respond to a list of various sticks I found to confirm compatibility. I think I messaged him a week ago though, so still waiting.... Never had so much trouble with a RAM upgrade.
    Last edited by craig_cabbage; 10-08-2020 at 02:24 AM.

  10. #20
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Reputation
    16
    Posts
    119

    @craig_cabbage - 100 C for as long as you like. It would not degrade it. These are the specs of all Intel's CPU from the last 5 years. And yes - I'm with RTX 2070. Repaste is you first step toward decent cooling. Anything else is not gonna give you more than 2-3 degrees down. And use TS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •