cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Wire Sensor Mounting

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
A week ago, a friend of mine came over to install new RAM. Everything was fine, except for today when I turned on my computer, I heard a tick, inside.

I removed the side panel, and it turns out that the RAM wire sensor that he had just laid in between the RAM sticks, I think, fell into the CPU Cooler's Fan. I shut off my computer, pulled the wire out of the fan and just wrapped it around another cable. Unfortunately, it's not doing its job now.

Can someone take a picture of their motherboard for me with the sensor fan in it? I'd like to know the best way to mount it so it doesn't fall out again. Funny how I'd never had this problem in nearly 6 years I've had this build, maybe since my old RAM was taller, the wire had more spots to grab onto to prevent falling.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
If you aren't pumping extra voltage into your memory then you shouldn't need a temperature probe.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
If you aren't pumping extra voltage into your memory then you shouldn't need a temperature probe.

I'm not going to pull it out, I just want to know where and how to mount it so it won't move and so it does what it's supposed to do.

JOSHSKORN wrote:
so it does what it's supposed to do.

What do you think it is supposed to do? What are you using it for? A temperature probe is a tool for you as a builder and operator. If you don't know why it's there then it isn't doing anything and should probably be removed to prevent it causing further issues.

There is no "right" way to mount a probe as it depends on what you want to measure and components have different heatsink designs. People use zip ties, kapton, thermal adhesive, whatever. Just don't clamp onto one as they can be crushed.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…