cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does fan control in BIOS work?

empleat
Level 10
There are 2 categories, one in Ai Tweaker/Ai Features. Second is called qfan. In the first, there is option keep training. But since you have to have something enabled in qfan. It is confusing, so does ai train fan, or setting from qfan is applied? First i couldn't hear anything even during gpu 100% load and high cpu load. I couldn't even hear anything, i had little bit high temps and i was testing turbo setting, because i wanted to know how big difference it would make. But now i put that back on silent and tried even click ai optimized i n the qfan and it is loud in both cases. Doesn't seem like previous setting. So how do i set it to ai controlled, or to the default? There is no manual for oc section so. I have no idea how this works, so confusing.

Also i don't know what is my fan in the case using pwm, or dc. I have cooler master h500p. Bios set my chasis fan to dc by default and i didn't change it. If pwn fan was set to dc, it couldn't damage it, or something? I suppose not, that would be retarded... It strange, because i didn't hear my computer at all in 100% load, when i got it - no headphones, but now it is loud! Only 800 rpm on cpu fan, 1 cooler mounter there...
3 REPLIES 3

Wangeyed
Level 9
use qfan and pwm mode so it can auto adjust speed, dc mode will run 100%, its got to be a 3 pin fan for pwm.

Wangeyed wrote:
use qfan and pwm mode so it can auto adjust speed, dc mode will run 100%, its got to be a 3 pin fan for pwm.

PWM set for chasis fan on silent: caused noise like an engine from an airplane! I was worried changing this wouldn't be good...

So how does it work, how do i set ai to keep training fan? I am 100% sure, computer wasn't this noisy. But also it depends on the workloads. During gaming even if my cpu maxed at 100% and gpu 99% in continuous load, i haven't such a high temps as when crunching corona. It could be that, but still: it is like 200-400 rpm difference on cpu cooler, maybe more rpm on gpu not sure. Or it could be because i changed setting.

There has to be something set it in qfan. Even if you click to ai optimize, there are still curves. But in other section i was talking about, there is option keep training. So if you click ai optimize, will it continue to train a fan ??? I tried that and it was more noisy than manually set silent profile, but it may not have time to train.

Again there is no manual, can you clear this for me? THANKS!

Super_Gnome
Level 11
When I first controlled the fans from the Bios it was confusing for me too. I could not make any sense of it. I ended up finding it worked well if you set the PWM / DC setting correctly. That depends on the number of pin connectors on your fans. DC is 3 pin, PWM is 4 pin.

As for the Q-Fan, I tried to use it but found it to be useless. I managed to get the fans to work well simply by adjusting the settings myself based on what my CPU core temperatures looked like. Now it works nicely. I regularly look at my core CPU temperatures, the highest temperatures reached, and that is enough.

Good luck.