cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracking sounds

empleat
Level 10
I have cracking sounds when playing games and tv shows. I am crunching covid, so i thought, that was simply because high cpu usage. But after i turned it off, it continues. I have z390-i gaming. This sucks, i have no idea what this can be. Dpc latency is very low. No overheating. I even tried to reinstall sound drivers - didn't help... What is even stranger, restart helps. But than it starts happening again!

Please help!
24 REPLIES 24

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Try this :

1) Realtek Audio Drivers clean install :

You have an ASUS ROG SS3 motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3 MB) from the first post of this thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

2) Disable hibernation :

- Right-click Windows Start button then click Search.
- Search for cmd. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
- If/When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
- At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and then press Enter then close the Command Prompt

3) Enable MSI (Message Signaled-based Interrupts) mode on all your supported devices (see the column "supported modes") with MSI Mode Utility (Right click on "MSI_util_v3.exe" > Run as administrator), then Apply, then close MSI Mode Utility & restart your PC.

Wangeyed
Level 9
try turning off fastboot, i disabled onboard sound and got a decent headset with built in sound card because of that. asus onboard realtek sound card is not great

Wangeyed wrote:
try turning off fastboot, i disabled onboard sound and got a decent headset with built in sound card because of that. asus onboard realtek sound card is not great

I don't use fastboot and i don't think onboard audio is a problem (don't know about memory fast boot, but f9 can't find even classic fast boot in bios and i didn't find it anywhere!), i used it for months and no problem. I had 7 years ago, like cheap 35$ motherboard and sound was great, didn't have any problems! Today there is almost no difference between expensive sound card and onboard audio, i heard from linus tech tips, unless you have professional headphones. Also this motherboard has I/O shield on top of that, so there should be no pops, or cracking sounds and i used it months without problems.

Also first thing i do, is to disable hibernation and i don't have even fast startup in power plan options! And it sets by default to use msi mode!

I don't want to buy new headphones and headphones with their soundcard use usb, which cause tremendous input lag and dpc latency!!! Same as hd audio over hdmi, or display port.

Why mokachi post was deleted??? He was telling me what drivers to choose!!! https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117596-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(MB-Intel-2xx-3xx-4xx-amp-AMD...
I have SS3 motherboard, but i don't know whether DTS, or DTS sound unbound, or what not... I looked at specs, but didn't see anything, which would help to specify that!

Btw my dpc latency is very low 100us~ So that's not it. I tried another headphones and same problem. I use 44100hz 16 bit and disabled special effects etc. Disabled exclusive mode. Didn't have problem months. Also amplification is on extreme, but never had problem months until now. I wanted to change that, but that program doesn't show in start menu anymore. Forget how it called and i can't find it anywhere. Maybe it was sonic studio? I saw that briefly in manual, but didn't notice, that there would be amplification setting.

Anyways i need to reinstall drivers, as i want up-to date drivers as well. That's other thing...

My motherboard - rog strix z390-i gaming.

EDIT: seems it was caused by disabling adaptive BCLK, i heard it is bad and should be disabled for overclocking, however it stabilized vcore voltage and it seems there is less undershoot and overshoot. So it doesn't seem bad when not overclocking. I had cracking sounds instantly as i entered game each time, now couple minutes - it is fine. Seems like that was it.!

HOWEVER I STILL WANT NEWEST DRIVERS, old drivers can cause stuttering e.g. So, which ones? I also will need to upgrade other drivers too, since from driver website they are outdated. Hope i will be able to figure out, which ones to download. Because i can't in terms of sound drivers.

And cracking sound is back...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117596-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(MB-Intel-2xx-3xx-4xx-amp-AMD... so enabling adaptive BCLK fixed the issue? i ran out of ideas and just ditched it.

Wangeyed wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117596-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(MB-Intel-2xx-3xx-4xx-amp-AMD... so enabling adaptive BCLK fixed the issue?

No it didn't, i thought it did. But crackling is very random, it doesn't happen in the same situation.
Wangeyed wrote:
[url]
i ran out of ideas and just ditched it.

What do you mean?

I said i need to tell, what drivers do i need to download, to try to reinstall them from this link. I have z390-i gaming. Thanks!

the first one, read the post first dont just go and install them.

Wangeyed wrote:

I thought so, but i wasn't sure. I don't know, if you can even install similar drivers, or install would fail... Ofc, but thanks.

Wangeyed wrote:

It didn't help. I also got microsoft high definition audio drivers, after uninstall. Which i saw this as solution in some youtube video BTW - with 400k views, i was redirected from asus forums to that... So i tested it on movie (before i installed realtek drivers) and still cracking sounds, each time i seek. Previously it didn't happen and it happened on pause/play. It is changing all the time. Really weird. And than i installed new drivers, didn't find any residue in driver store. And same thing is happening... They are in msi by default! This is starting to be the big problem! How something like this can even starting to happen randomly? I also tried clean boot and completely disable antivirus - didn't help.

Realtek audio console didn't install and i can't get it from windows store. Store is installed on my computer and all services should be running, yet when i click get i get error - which is attached in picture.

Changing amplification is last thing, which comes to my mind, but it was fine like this months. Also i will try to test this on dual boot linux... OR ddu.

Geez picture didn't upload, both url and file upload doesn't work... Omg i converted imagine, now when i click on browse nothing happens...

So i have to rewrite error: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this application. Please install an app, or one is already installed, create association in default apps settings page". I don't know to what this is referring. Drivers is not app...

EDIT: this is probably because store disappeared from my computer, i didn't uninstall that wtf. Didn't touch packages months and i uninstalled everything except store... Solving that right now...

So i can't reinstall store for some reason...

But i created new account and launched realtek console, which was automatically pre-installed here and it says. It cannot connect to RPC. But remote procedure call service is running and both realtek universal service and nahimic. So i have no idea what the heck...

EDIT2: Aaaaaaaaand it didn't help... Amplify level was set only to performance, which should be lowest. I don't know if it changed only, after i installed realtek audio console. Or it was like that before. Because last time i had it on extreme by default and no problem. I changed this to extreme, still cracking noises no change 😕

So i tried: reinstall audio drivers using ddu on top of that. Different nvidia drivers on windows. Lnux with/without drivers, still cracking sounds. So it seems it is a hardware issue. This motherboard was nothing but problems so far... I don't know what else i could try...

I crunched covid, but i had my temps 76C and voltage max on core 1.328 and vccio 1.328, vccsa 1.224. Do you think ti could damage something, because i think i started having cracking around same time. It is very demanding more than 100% continuous load while playing games. Or having vccio voltage high couple months? Also i tried set all voltages to default. Because i lowered vccio and vccsa to 1.12v. No difference.

But it seems more motherboards issue, they are supposedly known for bad audio codecs. And you said too, it is crap. Only strange things is: it was fine months literally... I read a lot, this is issue caused how nvidia drivers and system operates. But same on linux with no drivers, same on windows! No noveau and internet disabled, so no nv drivers auto install on windows!

yeah i know its one of those things you shouldnt be getting with such a nice motherboard, i must admit when i first built my pc i cant recall having this problem. how about try one of the first audio drivers on the support page? (dont forget to check the files are unlocked before installing) if that fails i dont know what to suggest sorry.