Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Happy to find this thread. I couldn’t understand what was going on with this new Zephyrus s15 GX502L. I just got it a week or so ago and everything has been great. Been playing with it constantly. And pretty much have always been in front of it when it’s on and have turned it off when not using it. And for the first time I left it unattended for a little while cooking dinner. When I returned. Waking it up it sounded like a jet engine and touching just above the KB was SO HOT. I had HWiNFO open in the back ground and it recorded 100C across all the cores. I’m surprised it didn’t shut down. Kinda scary actually. I’m not sure how long it was sitting like that. It sure was hot. I could feel the heat radiating from it immediately.*

So right away I began researching why and found this thread.

This sucks man. I don’t want to have to leave the dam screen on all the time. * And now I scared leaving this thing unattended. Lmao. It’s like I purchased a little child.*

Anyone out there have any new updates? Did you fix it with fresh install? *

New ROGer Array

I think the problem comes from Disconnected Modern Standby in Windows 10, or in this case a borked implementation of it from Asus. The laptop enters this mode everytime the screen shuts off, https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1043537/
    "2. If your computer supports Modern Standby mode, it means that the symptom is normal. Due to Microsoft’s design, Modern Standby mode had been implemented from Windows 10 announced. The system will enter Modern Standby mode after the screen turns off, and it means that the system enters a quick sleep."
    I measured it myself and the laptop enters a ultra low power mode but it keeps running, but because the fans never power on the heat keeps accumulating.
    I am pretty sure that this happens to every modern laptop from the ROG lineup. Still waiting for a fix from Asus.

New ROGer Array

Well after my last report , the problems still occurs even more problems pretend to be after every new software update that came in past weeks from MyAsus (Refresh rate service => completly broken on my system, Armory crate "performance" powerplan guaranteed to overheat the system when left alone and more bugs)

What noalero says is correct, after the screen shutdown the system goes in some kind of sleep mode where the cooling of the system is not taken into account. I am still not sure if it's Asus or Windows related .. I tried an old windows 10 version during my reinstallation attempts where the same problems kept occurring even with and without Asus software and drivers.

The only in between solution that worked for now is setting up the powerplan so that after the screen turns off, the system will go to sleep around 10 minutes.
    I think that this gives the laptop less chance to overheat by the auto turned off fans.

The Asus software is really annoying at this time .. as a user you do not really have control over the system, things are being carried out or just not without you being aware. I don't understand why this system can't run on it's own. more software is more instability probability.

I hope we will get by early next year a clean software fix so our laptop models will function as they should.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by criskoe View Post
    Happy to find this thread. I couldn’t understand what was going on with this new Zephyrus s15 GX502L. I just got it a week or so ago and everything has been great. Been playing with it constantly. And pretty much have always been in front of it when it’s on and have turned it off when not using it. And for the first time I left it unattended for a little while cooking dinner. When I returned. Waking it up it sounded like a jet engine and touching just above the KB was SO HOT. I had HWiNFO open in the back ground and it recorded 100C across all the cores. I’m surprised it didn’t shut down. Kinda scary actually. I’m not sure how long it was sitting like that. It sure was hot. I could feel the heat radiating from it immediately.*

So right away I began researching why and found this thread.

This sucks man. I don’t want to have to leave the dam screen on all the time. * And now I scared leaving this thing unattended. Lmao. It’s like I purchased a little child.*

Anyone out there have any new updates? Did you fix it with fresh install? *

the fresh installations helpt me with some system instabilities but after all the problem is still present. The things I do to prevent overheating:

1) Never leave the system alone when the armoury crate powerplan "Performance and Turbo" are enabled. If I leave the system I keep it at the windows powerplan.
    2) To enable screen shutdown and sleep setup your battery powerplans to disable the screen after 3 minutes and let the sleep mode kick in at 5 or 10 minutes ( you will need to check this the first times because you really cannot rely on the behavior of the system at this point ) Just play a little with the settings. and make sure when the real sleepmode kicks in if the system equality is sleeping.

3) If you leave your system for a while turn off any very high demaning GPU or CPU program (Like a game or in my case Unity with gamemode enabled)

4) Optional I downloaded all the crap Asus drivers and software from Windows auto update (during the reinstallation) and finaly the Armoury software directly form the Asus web site. (No driver package or windows store UWP or installation or MyAsus). I also use Intel driver check tool to update intel based hardere to the latest versions. The drivers that Asus offers are usually outdated.

I thinks this are the best 3 tips I can offer you. before I took this into account I had like 3 overheating shutdowns a day and now when follwing carefully none

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowButton View Post
    the fresh installations helpt me with some system instabilities but after all the problem is still present. The things I do to prevent overheating:

1) Never leave the system alone when the armoury crate powerplan "Performance and Turbo" are enabled. If I leave the system I keep it at the windows powerplan.
    2) To enable screen shutdown and sleep setup your battery powerplans to disable the screen after 3 minutes and let the sleep mode kick in at 5 or 10 minutes ( you will need to check this the first times because you really cannot rely on the behavior of the system at this point ) Just play a little with the settings. and make sure when the real sleepmode kicks in if the system equality is sleeping.

3) If you leave your system for a while turn off any very high demaning GPU or CPU program (Like a game or in my case Unity with gamemode enabled)

4) Optional I downloaded all the crap Asus drivers and software from Windows auto update (during the reinstallation) and finaly the Armoury software directly form the Asus web site. (No driver package or windows store UWP or installation or MyAsus). I also use Intel driver check tool to update intel based hardere to the latest versions. The drivers that Asus offers are usually outdated.

I thinks this are the best 3 tips I can offer you. before I took this into account I had like 3 overheating shutdowns a day and now when follwing carefully none
    Does your laptop still heat up during sleep mode? Cause my does. I havent tried on silent profile yet. But preformance mode sure does... Honestly I dont want to have to constantly be switching to different modes to walk away from the laptop... LOL. I know after a while Ill forget... And honestly is so dumb to have to do that.. LOL...

Test I did was I just set screen off in 1 min and set standby 2 min after screen turns off. I left HWiNFO open on desktop. Temps were 32c across all cores. Laptop was doing nothing. Zero.. Just idling and normal windows background services. I set a timer for 17 minutes on my phone and let it sit.

Screen turned off after 1 min and then the laptop definitely went to sleep after 2 min cause the power light went from solid light to slow pulsing. But it’s still heating up in standby. Lol. Wtf. The area above the keyboard was nice and cool to touch just before I started this test and as every min passed, It got warmer and warmer. I woke the laptop from standby after 15 min. And when it woke up. Fans shot up and HWiNFO recorded cpu temps as 87c across all cores.....

So not only can’t I use turn off display after. I also can’t use standby. Lol. Jokes.

New ROGer Array

Energy management and power plans..

2 weeks later, and it seems that either the Windows 10 20H2 upgrade or the latest System Control Interface update (2.2.32.0) broke CPU load balancing (power plans) as well. Battery life gone in 1.5 hours with AC profiles (used to get more than 4 hours out of the Silent one), can't get the CPU to operate at under 3,4 GHz anymore either.

Something is terribly wrong with this range of devices and it's getting worse by the update.

And not a single word from ASUS tech or support desk, except the one 'RMA it, you never know' email.

I have bought a power plant which has no way to prevent a nuclear meltdown. Painful.
    Last edited by Fireblade_92; 12-05-2020 at 11:41 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowButton View Post
    Furthermore, I cannot explain why it suddenly works better after 3 reinstallations than before.
    3rd times the charm

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade_92 View Post
    2 weeks later, and it seems that either the Windows 10 20H1 upgrade or the latest System Control Interface update (2.2.32.0) broke CPU load balancing (power plans) as well. Battery life gone in 1.5 hours with AC profiles (used to get more than 4 hours out of the Silent one), can't get the CPU to operate at under 3,4 GHz anymore either.

Something is terribly wrong with this range of devices and it's getting worse by the update.

And not a single word from ASUS tech or support desk, except the one 'RMA it, you never know' email.

I have bought a power plant which has no way to prevent a nuclear meltdown. Painful.
    Yeah I tried to contact asus regarding the matter and got absolutely no where. Just the typical copy paste response from support and links to support pages suggesting things like "Dust build up in fans" or "heavy applications running in the background" or "Please check for updates" If doesnt fix please RMA. I wrote them out a huge long list of things that Ive tried yet they still suggest things I mentioned i already checked. I even linked them other threads showing that others are having this issue.. Its like they dont even read what you send to them. Its almost like AI bot just links pages due to support words like "overheating". So silly. Dont expect to get anywhere with them on this matter. ****s just broken.

For a while I was pretty sure this was Windows S0 modern standyby causing the issue. Now not so much... After updating to windows 20H2, I had found a way to disable sleep state S0 and restore old windows power plans like older windows via a reg edit. I can now confirm that S0 is disabled via powercfg /a in cmd.. It shows that S0 state is now not available for the system. Yet when the screen turns off, the system fans will still shut off shortly after.

I was really hoping this would be fixed by now... I cannot believe that something as simple as the screen turning off and killing the fans would be such a hard thing to get support staff to remedy and stop. I guess they just want you to set the screen to never turn off cause that seems to be the only 100% way of stopping your device from possibly cooking itself alive.

I have a strong suspicion that rmaing the device will end up being a huge waste of money for shipping and most importantly my time. I think at this point Im just going to catch my return window and just return for refund and try something different.

ROG Member Array

It is really disappointing that we are facing this issue in this day of age. I can understand sleep issues on windows XP, but this is windows 10 in 2020, I have never had an issue with my computer being able to sleep or overheating with the screen off in my history of buying laptops. I rarely upgrade my laptop and when I do, it's a big deal for me to get a new gaming laptop. I bought a G732LWS with a 2070 super, upgraded from a G75VW with a 660m, it was a major upgrade. I love this laptop and the gaming power but it seems like a step backwards in stability. I never once had any issues with sleep or overheating on the G75VW. With this new laptop, it feels that if I don't closely monitor and tweak it for heat issues, it is going to cook itself to death. I have resolved to no longer allowing the screen to shut off in fear that it will overheat and burn out a component on the motherboard. I have to sacrifice the lamp life of my screen just to keep the laptop from burning up. In this day in age, it is really unacceptable. It has overheated and forcefully shutdown at least 4 times since I purchased it a few months ago. I really like this laptop but it really feels like a glass canon. This is probably going to be the last ROG I buy.
    Last edited by Desani; 12-05-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    Asus G732LWS
    Geforce GTX 2070 Super
    Intel i7-10875h

New ROGer Array

Still no Fix from Asus or workaround. The problems just keep going on. I also made a new thread at the forum specific for my laptop model here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...397#post821397

But still no response there. Surely it cannot be that so few people have experienced these problems with their device.
    I really regret that I can no longer exchange it to get my money back and buy another brand.

Which is certain I NEVER buy an Asus ROG Gaming laptop again. With all these problems and instability, I don't think these devices should be sold as a gaming device on the market. And also where is the support from the community and Asus for the people who do have problems with their device.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast