Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Having the same issue and the Asus support really sucks, no help what so ever. If they dont patch the software soon il reconsider buying Asus hardware next year when i build my next rig.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi, on December 30th of 2020th I've bought myself an Asus ROG STRIX G15 G512LW-HN084T, I loved the design, specs, 3x M.2 slots and the price on the market is also great for these features. I've built previously a monster PC with Asus ROG Maximus XI Gene mobo on 9900K and Asus ROG STRIX RTX 2080Ti OC which was great, but I've decided to switch to a laptop. For more than 15 years I'm a devoted Asus customer and will keep my choices to the ROG products against anything else on the market.
    I've seen plenty of laptops during last 2-3 years having the Intel CPU's of 8th, 9th and now 10th Gen which are overheating on simple tasks and this isn't about Asus, all the manufacturers in this price range are faced to the thermals for this speeds and productivity.
    As a workaround for this issue, please set the sleeping timer to 1 minute after the screen off. Don't worry about the static picture on the screen making its life shorter, you can use a background swither app to change pics every 15 mins for example, and keep the screen on for hours and hours without fearing to shorten its quality.
    Of course, I hope the Asus Engineering department will take a deeper look into the process architecture and either create a logic to monitor the temps in sleep mode and handle it with fans or something more genius.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31337 View Post
    Hi, on December 30th of 2020th I've bought myself an Asus ROG STRIX G15 G512LW-HN084T, I loved the design, specs, 3x M.2 slots and the price on the market is also great for these features. I've built previously a monster PC with Asus ROG Maximus XI Gene mobo on 9900K and Asus ROG STRIX RTX 2080Ti OC which was great, but I've decided to switch to a laptop. For more than 15 years I'm a devoted Asus customer and will keep my choices to the ROG products against anything else on the market.
    I've seen plenty of laptops during last 2-3 years having the Intel CPU's of 8th, 9th and now 10th Gen which are overheating on simple tasks and this isn't about Asus, all the manufacturers in this price range are faced to the thermals for this speeds and productivity.
    As a workaround for this issue, please set the sleeping timer to 1 minute after the screen off. Don't worry about the static picture on the screen making its life shorter, you can use a background swither app to change pics every 15 mins for example, and keep the screen on for hours and hours without fearing to shorten its quality.
    Of course, I hope the Asus Engineering department will take a deeper look into the process architecture and either create a logic to monitor the temps in sleep mode and handle it with fans or something more genius.
    Or they can just not turn off fans when the screen sleep. The cheer stupidity of this by Asus baffles me. You should not have to do these retarded workarounds for such a simple thing honestly. What i did was just to add a black screensaver and lock the computer together with this. And just avoid/skip the screen sleep since these amateurs cant fix this.

ROG Member Array

I Purhcased the ROG Strix G15 G512LW-HN038T for just over $2500 AUD on December 12th from a Melbourne, Australia retailer with high hopes.
    I was drawn to the fact that it could take another 2 NVME drives if I wanted to put them in it. I could care less about the fancy lighting and just wanted a backlit keyboard.

Saying I was disappointed is a understatement.

Heat issues and a flaky track pad.
    Track-pad gets laggy at times. Bad enough to be very frustrating.

When the screen turns off all the fans stop as in no cooling what so ever.
    I set all my computer's to put the display to sleep after 10 minutes and the actual computer to sleep after 1-2 hours depending on my usage so the fans should not have stopped but they do.

Further investigation, when I discovered the fans turn off with the screen, showed that processes we're still running with CPU cores reaching temps of 97-98 degrees Celsius. It appears to be that the system is deliberately turning the fans off yet running in some sort of semi sleep while still running programs and creating heat and no way to dissipate the heat.
    Not an ideal way to design how a laptop runs at all and definitely not fit for it's purpose.
    I tried a reset windows. It failed twice. On the 3rd attempt I sat watching to see it fail at 6% completion. The machine just shut down. I pressed the on button and nothing. I lifted the laptop and felt underneath. Yep. It was hot. Did all the troubleshooting after contacting Asus .
    Took it back to the retailer for assessment.
    Faults were confirmed and a replacement has been given.

I set-up the replacement system on Monday night and attempted to create a recovery USB.
    I set the screen to sleep after 5 minutes and the machine itself not go into sleep.
    Not trusting that it was a fault in the previous laptop and is more of a design flaw, I sat and watched to see what would happen.
    The screen turned off then after about 20 seconds the fans turned off.
    The system then gets hot with temps in the 90s to a max of 100 degrees Celsius and the bottom was hot after approximately 10 minutes.
    I shut the laptop down, packed it into its box and have returned it to the retailer for a full refund.
    Unfortunately I was told it would take 2 days.

What are the chances of getting two fault laptops one after another?

I placed a complaint with Asus detailing the issues and received a typical generic response about having it looked by their Service.
    It's the second machine I have personally had this issue with and clearly is a design flaw.
    Just recall the laptops and give people their money back.

I not impressed at all as I have been without a laptop for nearly 4 weeks and feel as if Asus is just ignoring the issue.
    I had hoped I just got a faulty machine because if it didn't have the issues I've experienced it would be a good laptop.

I'm hoping for a positive outcome and will have my money by Friday, although I will probably lose the money I spent on upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro.

If I don't get a refund I will be forced to go to the government consumer protection bodies to escalate this further.

If you haven't placed a direct complaint with Asus yet I suggest you do it asap and in detail.

The biggest joke is all the reviews I have watched and read rave about this laptop yet they do not mention this issue which suggests the majority of reviews have not fully tested the laptop.

Cheer

Chris

ROG Member Array

So. I returned the laptop to Scorptec for assessment.
    They claimed there is nothing wrong with it.

It turns out that they did not even test the laptop when the screen is set to sleep while the system is set to not sleep. I told the customer service person the issues when i dropped it off.
    When I asked if they had tested it when the screen is set to turn off the tech then proceeded to lecture me on closing the lid and using an external monitor.
    he also started saying i need to by a cooling pad, raise the laptop off the work surface or implement some other work around.
    Why should I have to spend more money to sue the laptop the same way I have used laptops in the past?

The laptop should work straight out of the box as intended without the need to by more equipment or put in place a work around.

When went to collect the laptop I explained to the customer service person the issue, I had explained this to him when I dropped it off, he then started making excuse and eventually blamed the Asus software.

He then removed the software claiming it will solve the issue so i may have the screen turn off and the system still running with the fans running as needed.

It did not.

I'm starting to feel as if this is a something that is known by all yet they are trying to sweep it under the rug.

I will not be buying Asus hardware ever again if I can avoid it.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by JossiCat View Post
    So. I returned the laptop to Scorptec for assessment.
    They claimed there is nothing wrong with it.

It turns out that they did not even test the laptop when the screen is set to sleep while the system is set to not sleep. I told the customer service person the issues when i dropped it off.
    When I asked if they had tested it when the screen is set to turn off the tech then proceeded to lecture me on closing the lid and using an external monitor.
    he also started saying i need to by a cooling pad, raise the laptop off the work surface or implement some other work around.
    Why should I have to spend more money to sue the laptop the same way I have used laptops in the past?

The laptop should work straight out of the box as intended without the need to by more equipment or put in place a work around.

When went to collect the laptop I explained to the customer service person the issue, I had explained this to him when I dropped it off, he then started making excuse and eventually blamed the Asus software.

He then removed the software claiming it will solve the issue so i may have the screen turn off and the system still running with the fans running as needed.

It did not.

I'm starting to feel as if this is a something that is known by all yet they are trying to sweep it under the rug.

I will not be buying Asus hardware ever again if I can avoid it.
    Sounds like you got about the same response I did from Asus service rep. Yeah, having to do stupid work arounds for such a simple feature/thing is retarded when you spend 2000 dollar on (20 000 sek for me in sweden) a high end laptop. I wont be supporting Asus either. Thinking of giving MSI a chance when i build my next machine.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by godest View Post
    Sounds like you got about the same response I did from Asus service rep. Yeah, having to do stupid work arounds for such a simple feature/thing is retarded when you spend 2000 dollar on (20 000 sek for me in sweden) a high end laptop. I wont be supporting Asus either. Thinking of giving MSI a chance when i build my next machine.
    I'll be buying MSI after this. I only purchased this laptop because of the storage expandability because I like to keep my files separate from the OS drive and the possibility of some video editing this year where I would be well away from my desktop computer. The gaming aspect was just a coincidence. If I'm going to play any serious games I have a decent enough desktop system for my needs.

Anyway.

I replied to the tech guys email that said there was no fault. I can't blame him for the screw up of the guy at the front desk who didn't do his job properly.
    He can only go on what he's told.

I pointed out that what the issue was and that I was not closing the lid or running an external monitor.

I Stated I should not have to buy extra hardware such as cooling pads and risers or have to implement a work around to have the laptop work as it should and is intended out of the box.
    I also stated that if these laptops need such things it is irresponsible for the seller not to inform the buyer before the sale is finalised.
    It's even more irresponsible for a manufacturer to be releasing such laptops without a thorough QC and QA prossess.

I reiterated what the issue was and that I will drive the 1 hour to drop it off again.
    I seem to have got his full attention.
    I'm dropping it off tomorrow.

New ROGer Array

Well Asus clearly screwed up, but seems they are unaware or refuse to acknowledge this flaw. Having fans turn off when only the screen turns off is a recipe for disaster. Not even a cooling pad is going to be enough depending on what your running while going afk. I had mine reach about 90c+ while just idle when this happend, and another time it had turned itself off, refusing to start for a while because the cpu was so hot. Asus = amature hour.

New ROGer Array

Couple of weeks ago i purchased two G712LWS and G732LXS for about 7000EUR to discover this problem on all 3 computers. This is highly disappointing, these were my first Asus laptops and im already considering returning them and getting something else. I've tried just about everything and i wasnt able to solve this. Only workaround is to shut them down or hybernate if i leave laptop for more than a couple of minutes, but thats just not an acceptable solution. Hopefully Asus comes up with a fix for this soon.

ROG Member Array

So I know this fix is not for everyone but I have worked with someone to has a laptop similar to mine.

They have requested a BIOS unlock in a BIOS unlocking forum which has exposed more advanced features in the BIOS menus with the potential to cause harm if modified improperly but you also get the ability to change the following:

With the unlocked BIOS, they now have full voltage control within the OS, so all settings are exposed to throttlestop and they can go beyond the -.80mV undervolt restriction. If you have purchased ram that has faster latency which requires the use of XMP profiles to work properly, they can now be selected in the modified BIOS.

But the big thing that I asked them to test with issues with sleep.

A new setting that has been exposed is the ability to disable S0 sleep from within the BIOS. This will disable modern standby inside of windows. After running with only S3 sleep enabled, there have been no more issues with the laptop being able to enter standby and no issues with the fans turning off with the screen off. They reported that they have been using the laptop with an external monitor with the laptop screen off on several occasions. I have done some reading on the new modern standby introduced by Microsoft and it seems like there are other laptop manufactures that also have issues with laptops being able to enter standby and stay in standby with S0 sleep. I am not sure who is at fault here for modern laptops not being able to reliability enter sleep with this new Modern Standby trying to keep store apps awake so that your computer can still receive notifications while in sleep but it is nonsense. While my computer is sleeping, I want it to stay sleeping and use as little power as possible.

So while this might not fix the problem 100%, sounds like if there is no issue entering sleep, there is no issues with overheating. Maybe in a future official BIOS release, we can have the setting to disable S0 sleep exposed for all of us to decide if we would like to use it.
    Asus G732LWS
    Geforce GTX 2070 Super
    Intel i7-10875h

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast