cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTX 3080 ROG STRIX OC fans spinning even at idle

pjeruk
Level 7
Hi i just got my 3080 oc strix card and I don't know what to do because fans on auto wont slowing down at all. Even if card is cold like 32c fans are still going on 53% any ideas what to do? When I'm trying manualy change fans under 35% fans are starting spining and stopping over and over. I was trying quiet mode and performance but nothing change.
52 REPLIES 52

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Try using the latest version of GPU Tweak II if you haven't done so already. If you're also able to provide a dxdiagnostics file that would also be helpful for replication.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I was trying gpu tweak II and still nothing to be honest was even worse because I was not able change speed under 53% at all. Here's the dxdiag https://pastebin.com/Ag1wn9Bn

Maximuz99
Level 7
This seems to be a known issue, multiple threads about this already. Really hope Asus fixes this quickly or i'm probably going to try get a card from another vendor.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Thank you. I've moved this thread for attention of service.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

As far as I have understood, Asus starts the Fans @ 30 Watt Board Power Draw. Other manufactors start the Fans @ 60 Watt. That's why they are on most of the time, and when you're just browsing for example.

I really hope this gets fixed via a BIOS Update! 😞

I just checked that and You have 100% right, with my monitor 1440p and 240hz when I'm not doing anything power draw is about 40W, I switched resolution to lowest with 60hz and power draw droped to 25 and fans stopped straight away.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Thank you. I've moved this thread for attention of service.

thank you

Are there any plans to increase the power draw limit for the 0db mode? I have a 3080 Strix OC idling at mere 27-29 degrees celsius, however given that I have 2 144hz monitors attached to it, the idle power draw is (afaik) 53watts and therefore the fans DO spin at 1000rpm almost all the time. Sometimes they do stop for a minute or so.. but not for long. Which is, given such a low idle temperature unclear/unexepected and quite frankly, annoying.

Is there any adjustment / improvement planned in the (near) future?

I have the same card and the same problem, I got 2 monitors 4k+1440p both at 144 Hz, board power draw at idle is 50-53W so the fans never stops spinning,
it's very annoying tbh, switched to an MSI Trio X and the 0db mode works perfectly, the fans only starts spinning when the temp reach ~60°C
Waiting for an bios update again to switch back to Asus...

Strix on the left Trio X on the right