cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New graphics card

Phrasemaker
Level 7
Hi Folks,

I wonder if someone could offer me some advice. I recently built a new PC after many years of simply buying something which did what I needed. Last time I built one it was socket 7, 350mhz processor and 8mb of ram seemed extravagant.

So my question, I’m looking to upgrade my graphics card without going too mad.
I’m currently using a Rog GTX1660S-A6G-GAMING.

I’m considering a Rog RTX2060S-A8G-GAMING. Would this be a reasonable upgrade?
Not sure I could stretch to a 2070 variant, and as my build is mainly for video work with gaming a useful and addictive by product.
Or should I hang fire a bit and wait until either the 2070 boards drop a bit and maybe up my spend limit a bit, or would the 8gb 2060 be ok for a decent level of performance?

My rig is based around a Z490G, i7-10700k with 64gb Vengeance RGB pro 3200.
I’m not completely tied to it having to be a Rog board, just that I have other Rog components and it all looks nice when bundled.
Many thanks

Regards

P
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
I personally don't think it's a great time to buy. We're on the brink of Big Navi from AMD and the 3070 from Nvidia. There is a shortage of 30 series cards in general. So anyone buying a card now is paying a premium for both new and last gen stuff. Once the log jam is clear and new cards are available you'll likely see all prices drop whether you want new stuff or last gen. If you wait you might be able to snag a used 2070 for a decent price.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Super_Gnome
Level 11
To put it simply, there are new cards currently hitting markets or soon to hit them. For the same performance, you are going to get a lot more bang for your buck in coming months, so definitely sit on your hands for a bit. I'd say two or three months out and you will get double the performance for the same dollars or the same performance for half the price. This is just an estimate, but it should be something in that ballpark.

Thank you very much guys, that's great two sets of similar advice. My 1660 is running flawlessly so I can wait it out and jump when prices are a little more favourable.

I'm mainly playing the last three Tombraider games, and currently a third of the way through the second one so I'm sure they'll keep me occupied for a while. I'm not planning on changing GPU's on a regular basis so I just want to get the best value for my upgrade and then not be pulling my PC around for decent while, just concentrate on using it rather than constantly swapping parts out :cool:

Many thanks

Regards P

cljustin
Level 8
What resolution/refresh rate are you playing on? With the timing of new cards releasing, I would wait wait it out personally. 3070 would be a great upgrade for you coming from a 1660s.

Hi Cljustin, thank you for replying I appreciate it. I am only running a refresh rate of 60hz as I needed my monitor performance aimed more at image editing than gaming or so I thought lol until I played a few games and got a bit hooked.

I bought another game yesterday which took a while to configure what it said was the best configuration for my PC and that was 3840 x 2160. It ran OK at that resolution but as with the other games I usually run them windowed somewhere around 20% smaller than full screen as I'm close to my 28 inch monitor and I like to be able to switch active windows easily, not that I run anything remotely hungry while gaming. It just suits me lol.

My 1660 does a reasonable job just using it in gaming mode through Asus tweak and I do have my CPU overclocked by 36% via the Ai app which came bundled with my Rog 490G. I do initially have to tweak the graphics settings in the games to get the best compromise between performance and visuals, and then they run pretty darn good to be fair. I tend to run graphically pretty games as they appeal to my eye for visuals for example Shadow of the Tombraider and Horizon Zero dawn are my latest purchases.

As someone who hasn't played around with PC's for years, I have to say it is a very engaging hobby and just getting the lighting to behave is enough to keep the mind occupied for a decent while lol. Having different manufacturers RGB components in a PC results in something like letting all the animals interact at the local Zoo.

Once again many thanks

Appreciate all input here.

Regards

P